Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician- PR visa issued

Electrician- PR visa issued

Old May 16th 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

JamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really nice
Default Electrician- PR visa issued

Hi

Just to let any electricians out there planning to head to NZ how my experience went. I submitted my EOI in November,got picked from the pool without a job offer, got my ITA in January and I sent my UK qualifications to the electrical workers registration board and got feedback in February( 7 weeks later) to let me know how much NZ courses I need to do. Not much thankfully. I spent Febtruary in NZ touring to find where I liked and aimed for Christchurch.While I was there I did the health and safety course for electricians to save time as this can only be done in NZ or London via N Chandler. I got home to the UK and started getting my medical, police checks,etc to finish my ITA. The main problem is that until you get a firm job offer you can't apply for a provisional licence and many employers won't look at you without a full licence.I was fortunate and got 2 good job offers and landed both jobs via telephone interview.One of the firms wouldn't wait however and fortunately my favoured employer was more understanding.
I then had to send my form to my new employer who in turn had to send this to Wellington for processing.I only got this back last week.In the meantime I sent my application to INZ in London to process explaining the licence was to follow.
My PR was granted yesterday and my passport arrived today with that all important visa.
All in all less than 6 months to complete the skilled migrant route and I had absolutely no problem with immigration or the EWRB.Gold stars all round.I fly out in 3 weeks and start work in 5.
If anyone has questions let me know and I'll try and help.I avoided the agencies after hearing bad reports and to be honest I'm glad I did.
Old May 20th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electrician- PR visa issued

Fantastic! You have just given us the boost we need. OH is an electrician too. Sent bits off to EWRB for assessment earlier this month. Our EOI was selected in the 1st pool 9/4/08 and we are off to NZ for a recci/interviews mid June.

Any advice you can give on interviews would be great, also what courses you have to do, as we are trying to sort out the 1/2 day safety course at Christchurch Poly, but they are saying he doesn't need to do it???

Good luck when you get over there.
Old May 20th 2008, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

JamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really niceJamboPaul is just really nice

Originally Posted by Suzbits
Fantastic! You have just given us the boost we need. OH is an electrician too. Sent bits off to EWRB for assessment earlier this month. Our EOI was selected in the 1st pool 9/4/08 and we are off to NZ for a recci/interviews mid June.

Any advice you can give on interviews would be great, also what courses you have to do, as we are trying to sort out the 1/2 day safety course at Christchurch Poly, but they are saying he doesn't need to do it???

Good luck when you get over there.
The most important thing to listen to is the EWRB feedback regarding how much your OH has to do to get up to NZ standards. They'll tell you what courses are required. To get a provisional licence he will need to do the NZ recognised H and S course. I did it at CPIT and it was required!
As for the interviews I can only suggest you line up as many as you can and go for the one your OH feels best suited to.Use agencies like seek to look for jobs but many others are out there.
Good luck in the recce and I hope you have a great time. Best of luck in the job hunt.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Nice one, What did you need to do when you arrived? I contaced the EWRB before we entered our EOI, I need to do the regs course, final practical and first aid etc.. before I can get full registration, We've had our EOI selected and intend to have a look round before we decide to settle somewhere hence I've not bothered to apply for any jobs. Did you find potential employers willing to pay for you to gain full registration or will you have to pay yourself? I'm wondering if it's worth getting all the hurdles out of the way and gaining full registration before i apply for anything, all depending on how far the finances stretch of course.
Anyway Good luck
Old May 20th 2008, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by 2poor4this
Nice one, What did you need to do when you arrived? I contaced the EWRB before we entered our EOI, I need to do the regs course, final practical and first aid etc.. before I can get full registration, We've had our EOI selected and intend to have a look round before we decide to settle somewhere hence I've not bothered to apply for any jobs. Did you find potential employers willing to pay for you to gain full registration or will you have to pay yourself? I'm wondering if it's worth getting all the hurdles out of the way and gaining full registration before i apply for anything, all depending on how far the finances stretch of course.
Anyway Good luck
I think the most common thing for UK sparks to do is the regs and final practical. I'm a technician electrician in the UK but that counts for nothing without the coursework. I'm going through an employer firstly to keep the finances going but also it's part of the PR visa requirements to take up employment within 3 months and to remain there for a further 3. I'm going to start college as soon as I arrive as the exams are in June/ November. I found employers wouldn't really touch you without full registration or they expect you to pay your own way. Just remember no licence, no work. I'd still say contact as many people as you can regards a job as if they want you they'll wait. Some won't though and just remember you can only do the courses in NZ. It all depends on your personal situation and finances.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:11 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What a great thread. Thanks for sharing. So helpful to other sparkies. Have some karma.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

I wasn't aware that you had to take up employment within 3 months, that's well worth knowing, we would only travel for about 4-6 weeks to decide on an area. When we get a bit further with our application I'll look into the collage side of things, I'm sure I've read somewhere at least one collage does a pre practical course for a few days to give you an idea whats involved.

One thing I've wondered about is if I get residency through the skilled migrant class as an electrician do I actually have to work as an electrician when I get there? Obviously I'd want to evenually as it's my trade but I'd like to work to get some money to fund our travelling or while I'm satisfying the EWRB requirements.

Let us know how you get on. All the best