Electrical Items

Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all
Default Electrical Items

Hi guys,

I know this must've been on here a thousand times,but the threads I have found are now closed.

We're aiming to move in January and plan to bring absolutely everything. We just got married in April (came to NZ on honeymoon and fell in love) and have John Lewis Vouchers to spend. Is it worth buying new lamps etc to bring? Can you get them rewired easy enough or just use an adaptor?

Also, do most electrical items work okay with adaptors.? I've heard mixed reviews about kettles, coffee machines and hoovers etc not working due to the voltage or something? We're bringing a container anyway, so figured we may as well fill it.

All advice greatly appreciated

Rachel x
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Electrical Items

If you find stuff you really like , then buy it. Choice can be so limiting in NZ You can change the plugs when you get here.

Your electrical goods will work here.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Get a couple of 4 gang power extensions and then change the UK plug (or use an adaptor) to an NZ plug to get yourself up and running sooner when you arrive. You can then, as your leisure, replace the UK plugs on each device when you're ready.

Also, use your John Lewis vouchers to buy the devices that you want, open the packaging, check that the items works and then put back into the now not so pristine box. Shipping too many unopened pristine items may arouse suspicion.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

I never regretted a single electrical item that I brought with me. Many are still going strong 9 years (plus!) later.

(confession time) My toaster, iron and food processor still have UK plugs on them - I have an adapter on my kitchen wall lol
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone, that's great. We're shopping next week but not coming til Jan so they will be 'used'.
Great news my New Zealand midwifery registration has just been confirmed. Time to start job hunting :-)
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

A DAB radio will not work, I missed Radio 4 when across there last week. FM was ok but still no BBC Radio 4. NZ style plugs can be picked up easily in may stores for anywhere between $4-$8. I bought a couple to ensure would be ok for our items and all looks ok.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Very jealous of you having John Lewis vouchers . I'm struggling to find lamps & shades that I like here, as BEVS said, not much choice .
We changed our plugs on all our electrical items (Dyson, Kenwood chef, toaster et cetera) when it got here. Do bring an adaptor plug or two with you though. Some things, like my epilator I can't change the plug on.

Congrats on getting your madwifery registration sorted. I used to be a madwife until March '09. I do miss it
Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Very jealous of you having John Lewis vouchers . I'm struggling to find lamps & shades that I like here, as BEVS said, not much choice .
We changed our plugs on all our electrical items (Dyson, Kenwood chef, toaster et cetera) when it got here. Do bring an adaptor plug or two with you though. Some things, like my epilator I can't change the plug on.

Congrats on getting your madwifery registration sorted. I used to be a madwife until March '09. I do miss it
Great help, thank you. I can't wait to get spending, it's from wedding gift list. Have totally fallen in love with a Le Creuset pan set which I think will eat away at most of the vouchers. Now torn between kitchenware and electrical goods. Definitely getting a Nespresso though, I'm a complete caffeine fiend Have a couple of lamps in my sight too
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RachelG12
Great help, thank you. I can't wait to get spending, it's from wedding gift list. Have totally fallen in love with a Le Creuset pan set which I think will eat away at most of the vouchers. Now torn between kitchenware and electrical goods. Definitely getting a Nespresso though, I'm a complete caffeine fiend Have a couple of lamps in my sight too
totally agree with the buying stuff to bring over and just changing plugs/using adapters as necessary.

Just a thought on the Nespresso - might be worth checking out the cost of the pods here - could be quite a pricey thing to be using over here!
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

I'll be bringing a load with me. You can also get them from Nespresso place in Auckland (hope they deliver/ship). I'll also get people to send from UK/bring with them :-) Appreciate the advice though xx
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

A DAB radio won't work???? Bought OH an expensive Roberts one at Christmas and he wanted to bring it when we move out next year
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

No DAB doesn't work in NZ (yet) xx
Old Jul 31st 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

DAB radio service is available in the centre of Auckland, but the choice of stations is limited and simply a duplicate of some existing FM stations.

Your Roberts radio (if its a clever one like mine) may have be able to pickup Internet so you'll have the ability to continue to listen to Radio 4 and Radio 5!

Just be aware that due to licence restrictions you made not be able listen to live football, etc.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Definitely bring everything with you. I did and so glad because choice is really limited. If you've got space, then fill it.

If your style is light coloured furniture, then get that before you leave as well, because my experience so far is that most furniture is dark wood. The odd bits I've seen that are light are very expensive.

Happy shopping!!