Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

education pre gcse's

education pre gcse's

Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

terri-f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default education pre gcse's

hi, we are thinking abour relocating to nz next year. however i'm worried about my 13yr old alice who will be starting year 10 in sept. if we go out nov 07 does anyone know if she would be able to repeat a year and start at year10 in nz in jan07. i also have a 18yr old son rob w ho may be coming with us. he wants to do a degree in fine art. what are the uni's like out there?we have read good reports on them bur i would appreciate first hand reports if poss. i hope there is someone out there who can perhaps help with any advice. many thanks hope to hear from someone soon. terri
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:09 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education pre gcse's

Originally Posted by terri-f
hi, we are thinking abour relocating to nz next year. however i'm worried about my 13yr old alice who will be starting year 10 in sept. if we go out nov 07 does anyone know if she would be able to repeat a year and start at year10 in nz in jan07. i also have a 18yr old son rob w ho may be coming with us. he wants to do a degree in fine art. what are the uni's like out there?we have read good reports on them bur i would appreciate first hand reports if poss. i hope there is someone out there who can perhaps help with any advice. many thanks hope to hear from someone soon. terri
It will depend on when Alices' birthday is - the academic year starts in February, so this will determine what year group she goes into when she arrives. My daughters are a lot younger, but my eldest went up a year due to her birthday and when we arrived, (so she effecitvely missed all of year 3) she hasn't suffered one bit and is totally blooming in her school work. I've got no experience of uni though. Good luck.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

We are moving mid September my 3 boys will are 14, 13 and 10, just finished years 9, 8 and 5. Their birthdays are February, March and May. They will start school in February 2007 in years 10, 9 and 6. They will attended school for a few weeks before Christmas for the school to assess them. Our daughter is 16 and has just completed her GCSEs (year 11), here in UK. Her birthday is in November. She will start year 12 in NZ in February so she will be 17 and older than her classmates - she is not worried at all.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
We are moving mid September my 3 boys will are 14, 13 and 10, just finished years 9, 8 and 5. Their birthdays are February, March and May. They will start school in February 2007 in years 10, 9 and 6. They will attended school for a few weeks before Christmas for the school to assess them. Our daughter is 16 and has just completed her GCSEs (year 11), here in UK. Her birthday is in November. She will start year 12 in NZ in February so she will be 17 and older than her classmates - she is not worried at all.
thankyou for replying,alice will be 14 on 25 aug she is one of the youngest in her year group . we are very much in the early stages of our application . have you been out to nz ? we hope to go out there as my husband is a gasfitter and plumber and his occupation is on the skills list . has it taken you long to get a visa?my 18yr son is reluctant to go so i'm wondering wether to get him settled in uni in uk in oct 07 before we go out to nz. my 20yr old is in her last year of uni so is self sufficient anyway and is encouraging us to emmigrate.well thankyou again for listening to me. terri
Old Aug 10th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou for replying,alice will be 14 on 25 aug she is one of the youngest in her year group . we are very much in the early stages of our application . have you been out to nz ? we hope to go out there as my husband is a gasfitter and plumber and his occupation is on the skills list . has it taken you long to get a visa?my 18yr son is reluctant to go so i'm wondering wether to get him settled in uni in uk in oct 07 before we go out to nz. my 20yr old is in her last year of uni so is self sufficient anyway and is encouraging us to emmigrate.well thankyou again for listening to me. terri
Hi Terri
we are at the early stages too. Just sent for EOI. Our 20 yr old son is at a uk uni going into 2nd yr. and our daughter will finish A levels next june, then if we are successful with a visa she'll come with us. We are looking into NZ uni. We have been advised to add our son to the visa even tho he will still be in uk, other wise he'll have to apply later. Our son spent his Gap year in NZ helping in a school in Dunedin and loved it, he wants to return to NZ. The sporty nature of the place really suited him.
Helinuk
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi Terri
we are at the early stages too. Just sent for EOI. Our 20 yr old son is at a uk uni going into 2nd yr. and our daughter will finish A levels next june, then if we are successful with a visa she'll come with us. We are looking into NZ uni. We have been advised to add our son to the visa even tho he will still be in uk, other wise he'll have to apply later. Our son spent his Gap year in NZ helping in a school in Dunedin and loved it, he wants to return to NZ. The sporty nature of the place really suited him.
Helinuk
thanks for replying.
have just had my mum on the phone saying how could we possibly leave rob in uk even if he is at uni, talk bout making you feel guilty!what area are you thinking of settling in?well better go its raining and i have wash on the line hope to hear from you soon.
terri
Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:41 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Terri,

My daughter just turned 14 on Tuesday - she's the eldest of our 4 and the only one not keen to be moved! She wants us to wait until she has done her GCSE's but if we did that for all of them we'd be putting our move on hold for 12 years! Not likely!

Just wondered how your 13 year old felt about the impending move? Don't worry about parental pressure - I've got it constantly from my mother about how can we take her only Grandchildren away from her?! Just grin and bear it!

Caroline
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Hi there
My daughter will be 15 in December she has just finished year 9. I think she will go into yr 10 when we get to Blenheim (as soon as house sells!!!!) My son is 12. We visited Many schools whilst on holiday in Feb and I have no worries about the standards and transfer of education. What we are all about to do is a fantastic life experience which is a huge learning curve for our kids!

As far as the Mother pressure is concerned the 'disease; can multiply rapidly and WILL get worse. You have to be strong and selfish in some ways this move is for YOUR family and their future, always keep that in mind. Good luck!
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for replying.
have just had my mum on the phone saying how could we possibly leave rob in uk even if he is at uni, talk bout making you feel guilty!what area are you thinking of settling in?well better go its raining and i have wash on the line hope to hear from you soon.
terri
Hi
I know about mothers LOL. I won't tell mine till we have visa through!
We are looking at Tauranga. But it will depend on where the jobs are.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Terri,

My daughter just turned 14 on Tuesday - she's the eldest of our 4 and the only one not keen to be moved! She wants us to wait until she has done her GCSE's but if we did that for all of them we'd be putting our move on hold for 12 years! Not likely!

Just wondered how your 13 year old felt about the impending move? Don't worry about parental pressure - I've got it constantly from my mother about how can we take her only Grandchildren away from her?! Just grin and bear it!

Caroline
hi caroline,
alice cant wait to go she' quite an adventurer. she went out to australia by herself at xmas for 3 weeks to visit her friend who has emmigrated out there .i too was wondering ether to wait for alice to finish her gcse's and then rob would be in his 2nd year of uni. but my husband is worried that his skills would no lomger be needed in nz by then. so i'm in a dilemma as what to do.what route are you following to emmi to nz? hope to hear from you soon.
terri
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Hi there
My daughter will be 15 in December she has just finished year 9. I think she will go into yr 10 when we get to Blenheim (as soon as house sells!!!!) My son is 12. We visited Many schools whilst on holiday in Feb and I have no worries about the standards and transfer of education. What we are all about to do is a fantastic life experience which is a huge learning curve for our kids!

As far as the Mother pressure is concerned the 'disease; can multiply rapidly and WILL get worse. You have to be strong and selfish in some ways this move is for YOUR family and their future, always keep that in mind. Good luck!
hi
thanks for words of encouragement.
did you go on holiday to check out nz or did you think the place so fab that you decided to emmi when you returned. hey its 10.30 am and no phonecall from mum. going to go out now before she gets the chance to tell me what a bad mother iam .lol terri
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi
I know about mothers LOL. I won't tell mine till we have visa through!
We are looking at Tauranga. But it will depend on where the jobs are.
hi,what area of work are you looking into? terri
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

hi,what area of work are you looking into? terri
I just answered this on another thread-:-) well hubby is into the fire and security business, I'm into any of following, NNEB childcare, Dip. in specific learning difficulties-teaching dyslexic kids, Tesol. cert. teaching English to speakers of other languages. Not sure NZ recognises any of my qualifications. It seems to me that unless you have a degree or qual. from NZ, they don't recognise your qualifications . Hope someone might be able to correct me on that though.
What about your work?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:09 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

hi caroline,
alice cant wait to go she' quite an adventurer. she went out to australia by herself at xmas for 3 weeks to visit her friend who has emmigrated out there .i too was wondering ether to wait for alice to finish her gcse's and then rob would be in his 2nd year of uni. but my husband is worried that his skills would no lomger be needed in nz by then. so i'm in a dilemma as what to do.what route are you following to emmi to nz? hope to hear from you soon.
terri
Hi Terri,

Lucky you at lease Alice is keen that will make the transition easier I'm sure! We went out to NZ in April/May for 3 weeks hols and Cydney loved it, but she's a bit of a worrier and doesn't like the thought of leaving friends and pony! She'll be fine with it but will go through "Kevin the Teenager" routine no doubt!
My hubby's a kiwi, moved back to UK when he was 7, finally decided now is the time to return! Thank God! Can't stand it here in the UK - especially where we live! So I have to go through all the same processes as anyone else but it's only for me - I'm applying for residency and the kids get citizenship by descent. Another reason to go - then they'll have UK and NZ passports which opens up Australia and Europe for them - pretty much covers it!

How far on are you with your application?

Caroline
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

hi
thanks for words of encouragement.
did you go on holiday to check out nz or did you think the place so fab that you decided to emmi when you returned. hey its 10.30 am and no phonecall from mum. going to go out now before she gets the chance to tell me what a bad mother iam .lol terri
Hi Terri
We went out to check the place out but only did North and we are off to South (Blenheim) to live. I am an only child and my Dad died aged 59. Mum is 70 now I know how much parental pressure there is but hang on in there!. the separation anxiety with my Mum begun a few months ago and I know it is all part of the process.
Be consistent in your positive attitude to immigration and hopefully she will eventually come round!
LOL Dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.