Earthquakes

Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:52 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Earthquakes

For everyone already here. Have you looked at the Earthquake Commission's website http://www.eq-iq.org.nz/iqhome.aspx ?

We have had a few shakes here in Blenheim (it was very disconcerting the first time) since we arrived. Nothing major, like a train going pass, weird though.

Do you get them in your areas? We lived in Auckland for two years and never felt one. Have you made any preparations in case of "the Big one?"

We have a big plastic box with a couple of tourches, candles, batteries and a first aid kit. Just stuff garthered from the warehouse.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:34 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earthquakes

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
For everyone already here. Have you looked at the Earthquake Commission's website http://www.eq-iq.org.nz/iqhome.aspx ?

We have had a few shakes here in Blenheim (it was very disconcerting the first time) since we arrived. Nothing major, like a train going pass, weird though.

Do you get them in your areas? We lived in Auckland for two years and never felt one. Have you made any preparations in case of "the Big one?"

We have a big plastic box with a couple of tourches, candles, batteries and a first aid kit. Just stuff garthered from the warehouse.

Another good one to look at is http://www.geonet.org.nz/

Gives you a great view of the volcanoes too

I do wonder how many Kiwis compared to Expats have their emergency packs ready?? I stood in the earthquake house in tepapa in wellington & that was enough to convince me!!

Steve, you skiving again??
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough

Yup, we have felt them and I don't like them one bit! Us Brits are used to a solid terra firma.

Some of them feel like a heavy gust of wind that blows the house, these can be missed quite easily. However those long rumbling ones are quite disconcerting. My family back home are appalled at the thought that we have food and water stored incase of emergency.

We are not far from Napier and we all know what happened there in 1931!

However, I have to say its usually a case of out of sight out of mind and having packed our emergency rations, we head off to the beach
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough74NZ is a jewel in the rough

Yup, we have felt them and I don't like them one bit! Us Brits are used to a solid terra firma.

Some of them feel like a heavy gust of wind that blows the house, these can be missed quite easily. However those long rumbling ones are quite disconcerting. My family back home are appalled at the thought that we have food and water stored incase of emergency.

We are not far from Napier and we all know what happened there in 1931!

However, I have to say its usually a case of out of sight out of mind knowing we have packed our emergency rations, we head off to the beach
( Now lets not talk about Tsunami's )
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

don't start me off on those civil defense boxes, i ahev enough food & water etc to feed the army,
have felt about 3 quakes since we arrived nearly a yr ago. at least the kids know what to do , but they just sleep through them
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We have started kitting out our emergency box but not finished it yet....we keep saying we will get it sorted every time we see the TV adverts... will have to do it now we're all sorted with new bubba.... no more excuses. We actually like the idea that youre told here that if there was a serious disaster there wouldnt be enough emergency services to cope... better we know than be lied to.

http://www.getthru.govt.nz/