Duty Free Warning

Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Duty Free Warning

This is just a warning to everyone who might be flying via several stops to NZ and passing through Australia.

During my trip recently I had my duty free confiscated in Brisbane having almost completed my trip to New Zealand. See below the excerpt from BAA's email and the reason behind it:-

"
Unfortunately, owing to regulations adopted by the Australian authorities from 1st April 07, no liquids are permitted to be taken into Australia unless they have been purchased at the last ‘port of call’, in your case this would have been Dubai and have been delivered to the boarding gate, as opposed to transported by the customer themselves. Consequently you were not able to purchase liquids from the UK if Australia bound. "

Just in case you make the same error, however, I did get my money back as they had clearly made a mistake advising me that it was ok and accepted liability.

Just to note that those of you flying to Auckland International airport, there is a large duty free shop there, where you can buy duty free. Not sure how much items are or the selection, but it's worth bearing in mind.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty Free Warning

We bought 1 bottle each in Singapore and were allowed to buy 2 more each at Auckland Airport. This is if you do not exceed your allowances on other goods. The price was very favourable.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...nd+Tobacco.htm

June
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The Oz government sells it all in auctions and the customs guys get a percentage too
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:55 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine bought 2 bottle for us when she came over, but unfortunately had them confiscated at Auckland, as it was NOT her last port of call; she was on a connecting flight to Christchurch

This was despite the fact they were still in a sealed bag with the receipt attached. No -one at Heathrow, where she purchased it, told her of the rules.

So whoever took my bottle of Bacardi at Auckland, I hope it bl**dy chokes you
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 2:20 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

So what are the rules if you come via NZ1 Heathrow-LAX-Auckland-Cch? As you don't get to stop at duty free in LAX or Auckland, just international transit, is it ok to buy duty free at Heathrow to bring to Cch?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 3:32 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
So what are the rules if you come via NZ1 Heathrow-LAX-Auckland-Cch? As you don't get to stop at duty free in LAX or Auckland, just international transit, is it ok to buy duty free at Heathrow to bring to Cch?
Do you also mean the flight that connects from NZ1 to the international AKL to CHC flight? NZ0303? in which case, i have no clue. sorry

For the other flights on NZ1 to Auckland and then to a domestic Auckland to Christchurch flight,my understanding is that they tell you to repack the duty free when you have cleared customs and immigration at Auckland.

Though, that is assuming they allow it back on the plane at LAX - I can't see why not though???

OR, buy it in Christchurch and leave it until you get back.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 3:46 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm Qantas' website seems to have a bit of information on it. Their site gave a few examples of flights transitting through Auckland, but remaining in the international terminal and it specifically says to buy duty free in Auckland.

Which makes me a bit confused. How does the transit section of Akl airport work...I have only transitted to a domestic so have cleared customs. If on an 'international' flight to Christchurch do you go through security procedures at Akl even though you technically clear immigration at Christchurch. How do they know where you bought the duty free? There must be extra security at akl.

My brain now hurts. Buy duty free in CHC and pick it up when you return.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:02 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Do you also mean the flight that connects from NZ1 to the international AKL to CHC flight? NZ0303? in which case, i have no clue. sorry

For the other flights on NZ1 to Auckland and then to a domestic Auckland to Christchurch flight,my understanding is that they tell you to repack the duty free when you have cleared customs and immigration at Auckland.

Though, that is assuming they allow it back on the plane at LAX - I can't see why not though???

OR, buy it in Christchurch and leave it until you get back.
My mate had hers taken off her before getting on NZ0303, at AKL. No problem at LAX
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:32 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

When flying into ChCh from Aussie, on landing I've always bought my Duty Free on arrival in ChCh at the shop before the customs section. Still cheap as, plus you don't have to carry it all the way across the world.

As I recall, you can have 2.75 litres of spirits and 250g of fags or tobacco.

1 litre of my old buddy Jack Daniels = $36 = 14 quid = BARGAINTASTIC!

I love international flights for this single reason.

Alkie? Me? Hell yeah!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:03 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

For the price it costs it is worth stocking up on duty free.

Remember, as long as you don't go over your other limits you can buy two bottles of spirits and up to 6 bottles of wine. YE-AH
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:14 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum had two bottles of Bailey's confiscated in Sydney.
I sent an email complaining to the duty free shop operators in Manchester, where she was advised she'd be okay to bring them.
I promptly received a reply requesting a copy of her receipt. Sent this, and she got a refund, an apology, and a promise that staff would be educated re connecting flights in Oz.

Well done that lady in Manchester
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:36 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks kiwiprincess. We didn't clear customs at Auckland on NZ1. Ticket was for Heathrow to CCh so on that flight you stay in 'international' and clear customs in Cch after NZ303 flight where you get to see your bags again!
Was just curious as we didn't have anything taken off us when we came on that route last year but outlaws are due later this year on same route so just wanted to know what advise to give them as far as duty free is concerned.