Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dunedin, what's it like?

Dunedin, what's it like?

Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dunedin, what's it like?

We're moving there the week after next, I accepted the job I was offered and we're looking forward to getting out of Auckland although we will miss some bits of living here.

But our futures are much brighter in good old Dunners. Buying a house is now an option and the hours and hours spent on the trains and motorways will be a thing of the past.

Happy Days
Old Apr 25th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to see how you like living in Dunedin! It's not for everyone but it is a great city!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
We're moving there the week after next, I accepted the job I was offered and we're looking forward to getting out of Auckland although we will miss some bits of living here.

But our futures are much brighter in good old Dunners. Buying a house is now an option and the hours and hours spent on the trains and motorways will be a thing of the past.

Happy Days
Best of luck with your move
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good one Barnsleymat. Hope you'll be very happy there and settle well.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:10 pm
My word is my bond.

Arthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud ofArthur Daley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chrisbates1986
Hello all,

I may be getting a job in Dunedin and I was wanting to know what the place is like to live in. I'm in my mid 20's, into my Rugby and sport, enjoy going out for dinner and for beers. What does Dunedin have in terms of bars/pubs? Restaurants? Types of cuisine?

I'm guessing there will be a fair bit of Rugby (as it is NZ after all!), are there many gym and other sporting facilities?

How easy is it to get rented accomadation and what would you expect to pay per month? I understand there is a large student population, when the studnts go home is there a visible change in the city, as lively and as much going on?

Many thanks in advance for any replies,

Chris Bates
Dunedin is a place that grows on you.
When I first came here a few years ago as I drove past lookout point coming into town straight from the airport I thought what a sh**hole. The houses on the right as you drive into the town should be demolished and the scrap metal place shortly after should be moved to give a nicer welcome to Dunedin feel.
The weather is not as bad as people would have you believe. In the last 5 weeks it has rained only about 2 or 3 times and it has been very warm. Today is colder but it is nearly May so what do you expect. Mosgiel is a good suburb of Dunedin and is always about 4 degrees warmer for some strange reason.
There is a great range of bars and restaurants in town. Best bars are found around the Octagon but there are also some good ones within a half mile radius. Entertainment is varied and bigger and better artists are now coming to Dunedin.
The new stadium although I was against it has so far proven to be a big boast to the city. Rugby is everywhere so you will be well catered for here.

Overall Dunedin is a great place to be and the beaches and surrounding scenery are as good as you will find.
Good luck with your choice.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I spent most of my first 21 years in Dunedin and agree with most of the above.

Frankly, the weather IS likely to be the biggest issue for most British expats. There are comments above suggesting that the weather is slightly better than the UK - I would say it is actually quite a bit worse than London. For one thing, it is much windier in Dunedin (and all NZ, to some extent). Calm days are the exception rather than the norm, at any time of year. The summer is generally cooler & less reliable than London - unusual to have more than a few warm, pleasant days in a row. You could count the number of annual beach days and nights where you can wear short sleeves outside on your fists. When I visit my grandmother in Dunedin (invariably in summer) the bed is made up with layer upon layer of blankets (including electric ).

And yes the houses, especially the older ones, are freezing, and not just in the depths of winter. Huge big ceilings and no proper means of heating - what were they thinking?! Having said that you will get a lot of house for your money compared to nearly anywhere else.

Schooling/education is accessible and of a high standard. In fact, there is a pupil shortage at present.

Unless you've lived in San Francisco you might also be surprised by just how hilly the place is.

Best of luck