Dunedin?

Old Jan 6th 2011, 11:10 am
Just Joined

fluffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dunedin?

Hi everyone,

I am new here, I found this forum while searching for opinions on Dunedin.

I currently live in Glasgow. I'm not British, I'm from the US, but I really love the city. However, there is a possibility I can pursue a PhD in Dunedin. What are the pluses and minuses? For me, the cost is far lower than UK universities, which would be a blessing.

I am worried about leaving my friends here, and having never been to New Zealand I'm interested to hear further opinions.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dunedin?

Dunedin is great. Glasgow is great. You've got nothing to lose !

Last edited by Debbie2NZ; Jan 6th 2011 at 12:39 pm. Reason: Corrected my error.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Dunedin is great. Edinburgh is great. You've got nothing to lose !
And? The OP currently lives in Glasgow.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Yeah, to bad Wikipedia crashed as I was correcting myself. So, perhaps you could tell me what Scottish city Dunedin is named after ? Is it the ancient name for Aberdeen, or Edinburgh, 'cause I can't remember right now.

Fluffy, see what the head of population is in Dunedin compared to Glasgow. Glasgow is more busy with more of a social scene. Coming back to Scotland will seem prohibitavely expensive on a regular basis from NZ.

Leither, spell check please.

Last edited by Debbie2NZ; Jan 6th 2011 at 12:42 pm. Reason: Thought of something else
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:43 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Yeah, to bad Wikipedia crashed as I was correcting myself. So, perhaps you could tell me what Scottish city Dunedin is named after ? Is it the ancient name for Aberdeen, or Edinburgh, 'cause I can't remember right now.

Fluffy, see what the head of population is in Dunedin compared to Glasgow. Glasgow is more busy with more of a social scene. Coming back to Scotland will seem prohibitavely expensive on a regular basis from NZ.

Leither, spell check please.
The name comes from Dùn Èideann, the Scottish Gaelic name for Edinburgh.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, thanks, but what about the spelling of prohibitivly. That's my second attempt at it, still not right.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 12:50 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

prohibitively
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for such quick responses!

I have friends in Glasgow, and it was a difficult move but I ended up really liking where I live. On the other hand, I do miss living closer to the sea and I like outdoor activities (particularly swimming/snorkeling/boarding).

I study Scottish history, so it does seem odd to travel so far away for something like that. My first semester in Scotland was very lonely and difficult, so I am wondering how difficult it is to make friends in Dunedin as well.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fluffy,

There are quite a few people on here living in Dunedin, I am sure they will respond when they wake up!

I grew up in Dunedin, attended Otago Uni but have lived in the UK for the last 8 (coming up to 9) years.

Dunedin is a great city with close Scottish connections. My paternal family were Scottish immigrants to New Zealand, we hail from Stranraer.

Plus points for Dunedin:
  • Small city
  • Great University - although I am sure in some people's eyes it is not seen as "academic" as British or American Universities
  • Dunedin is easy to get around, especially if you live near the University.
  • People are very friendly, it won't take you long to make friends, especially if you involve yourself in other activities. There are lots of mature students at Otago Uni i.e not late teens, early 20s
  • The scenery is stunning, living on a harbour is beautiful and inspiring, seeing it change with the weather.
  • You are close to wonderful places such as Central Otago, Southland - there are plenty of places to see and visit.
  • Beaches are wonderful and very few people on them (although this could be something to do with the less than tropical climate)
  • Relatively low cost of living compared to other bigger cities in NZ
    • Due to the high student population, eating out is reasonably diverse, certainly a strong asian influence in restaurants .

Minus points for Dunedin:
  • It's bloody freezing - not all of the time, but winters are cold, but you will be used to that in Glasgow. Can get snow, so you know it's cold when the snow hits sea level! Summer days can be stunning, but tropical it's not. That's why there is a max exodus every summer to Central Otago which is a dry, beautiful heat. None of this steamy, humid heat you get up North
  • It is a small city, if you are there long enough you will begin to find that you know someone who knows someone...can be good and bad.
  • Dunedin has quite a cultural, arty feel to it mostly due to the large student population, it has culture, art and history but on a much smaller scale compared to Britain.
    • It can be seen as quite parochial. As with all countries there are some people that have probably never left Dunedin, let alone New Zealand.
      • Make sure you get a warm house/flat...I have numerous horror stories of awful living conditions in student flats. They key is finding a house that gets sun and is not damp, quite hard to find in North Dunedin which is where most students live for easy access to the Uni.

Good luck with your decision.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Dunedin, cant wait to go home
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

WHAT Do tell all Kenpom...time for an update!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:15 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi fluffy

Have PM'd you
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dannigirl
WHAT Do tell all Kenpom...time for an update!!
Been back in the UK since August and hitting a sticky bit missing NZ and looking forward to returning at some point.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Hmmm...the area sounds lovely, but I'm not sure I like the sound of the cold housing!
Old Jan 7th 2011, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

highlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to allhighlander393 is a name known to all

If you are living in glasgow I don't think you are going to have a problem with Dunedin. The climate is a bit warmer with more sunshine . Most houses don't have central heating which isn't a bad thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.