Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Drought...man drought!

Drought...man drought!

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:29 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Drought...man drought!

Am Loolah moaning about her daughters boyfriend reminded me:
The man drought has deepened in New Zealand and new research suggests single women are making it hard to find Mr Right by setting their sights too high.

More than a quarter of women aged 30-44 are living without partners and Victoria University researcher Dr Paul Callister says "educated men have never had it so good".

Statistics New Zealand 2011 population estimates reveal there are more than 50,000 "excess" 25 to 49-year-old females living in New Zealand and research by Callister for an updated Missing Men study suggests the gap is most likely caused by women coming to New Zealand as temporary residents and choosing to stay on.

Females dominated the group of 40,000 people, aged 20-49, who decided to stay in New Zealand between 1986 and 2006.

But it was a trend towards women becoming better educated than men that was having the biggest effect on their ability to form long-term partnerships, with Callister suggesting well-educated single women were looking for well-educated single men and not finding them.

"What we can tell is traditionally women have tended to marry up, to have partners who are better educated. You can see why it might be when you think about having children and having a good earning partner."

But with women making up 63% of those holding degrees or higher tertiary qualifications, marrying up is becoming impossible for some.

"Now, well-educated women are more likely to partner with someone with a lower level of formal qualifications than in the past. There has been a big increase in partnering down for well-educated women," said Callister.

Only 3% of educated women were partnered with men with no formal education. "Young educated men have never had it so good, but uneducated men have never had it so bad."
Link to full story: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/54...he-perfect-man

The thing is about this "man drought" is that if real it's been ongoing for over 15 years now. Now men aren't perfect (I know it may shock many of you!) but surely men now are much better prospects than you average pre-"man drought" 80's bloke who drank beer on the building site all day and then went to the pub to chase some lass/tart/crumpet for a bit of leg over after a fight. Probably knock her up so there would always be milk in the fridge and left the country when their relationship failed to get out of paying child support (Or as men like to call the scenario "Plan B").

Interestingly it's still women who feel compelled to find such "desirable" men, intelligent women who should know it's futile drilling for oil where there is none, yet persist. The other thing is that we are very overstocked on humans on this planet, even if he is one in a million there will be six thousand seven hundred and seventy five more like him. So man drought or not?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:37 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drought...man drought!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Am Loolah moaning about her daughters boyfriend reminded me:

Link to full story: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/54...he-perfect-man

The thing is about this "man drought" is that if real it's been ongoing for over 15 years now. Now men aren't perfect (I know it may shock many of you!) but surely men now are much better prospects than you average pre-"man drought" 80's bloke who drank beer on the building site all day and then went to the pub to chase some lass/tart/crumpet for a bit of leg over after a fight. Probably knock her up so there would always be milk in the fridge and left the country when their relationship failed to get out of paying child support (Or as men like to call the scenario "Plan B").

Interestingly it's still women who feel compelled to find such "desirable" men, intelligent women who should know it's futile drilling for oil where there is none, yet persist. The other thing is that we are very overstocked on humans on this planet, even if he is one in a million there will be six thousand seven hundred and seventy five more like him. So man drought or not?
Me, moaning? Surely not!

As a single woman of a certain age (well, in that age bracket they are quoting) I confirm, yes there is a man drought. There are plenty of single men out there, but a decent one seems few and far between.

What we also then contend with is "Delusional Hotness Syndrome." Where a man, well educated or not, finds himself having the pick of the crop of single women, because there are so many of us. And then suffering from the afore mentioned syndrome ...

Rather than play this game and contend for the few decent ones against women 10 to 20 years younger I have decided the only course of action is to go for a very much younger man and train him up.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Rather than play this game and contend for the few decent ones against women 10 to 20 years younger I have decided the only course of action is to go for a very much younger man and train him up.
Now that sounds like a fantastic plan and one I may be stealing for myself when I move up to Auckland
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Drought...man drought!

Good plan.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:15 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Good plan.
Not so good for us "men of a certain age" if it's adopted accross the board
Like this quote though:
"Young educated men have never had it so good, but uneducated men have never had it so bad."
And you never know some of us may be in the market at some point while we're still "young"
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

The other thing is I think some men (and I'm sure some women are in the same boat) would often rather not deal with all the rubbish in a relationship. I think this is particularly true for men when dealing with women's emotions and feeling, we have neither the inclination nor patience to play petty little games. We like to rise above the small things, breaking eggs is just part of making a good omelette and we have no great urge to discuss this.

Much like talking just to make conversation, it's very annoying, if we are going to talk lets make it a mutually interesting conversation. I'm sure we are both going to be more interested in a conversation about our holiday plans/house painting/etc. than you relaying to me what your bitchy little co-worker said to you. Yet again and again women persist in annoying men with boring conversation and getting annoyed when we try to ignore you (see everyone ends up annoyed!).

Back to my original point of being in or out of a relationship. Not getting your own way whenever you want can be terribly annoying, along with wasting a huge amount of time trying to please somebody else pretending it's "no effort at all" while being really resentful about it. I'm sure that's why a lot of couples now don't live together and the age people are being married at is increasing .
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

rachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant futurerachmac has a brilliant future

(Rather than play this game and contend for the few decent ones against women 10 to 20 years younger I have decided the only course of action is to go for a very much younger man and train him up.)

at Am Loolah

I like your thinking!!! I may have to steal your strategy

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:03 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Talking Re: Drought...man drought!

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem!!!. . . . .cough cough cough !!!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Ahem!!!. . . . .cough cough cough !!!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 9:08 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Me, moaning? Surely not!

As a single woman of a certain age (well, in that age bracket they are quoting) I confirm, yes there is a man drought. There are plenty of single men out there, but a decent one seems few and far between.

What we also then contend with is "Delusional Hotness Syndrome." Where a man, well educated or not, finds himself having the pick of the crop of single women, because there are so many of us. And then suffering from the afore mentioned syndrome ...

I remember as a twenty something having a belief that if you beat them all together you wouldn't get a 'decent one'. Sorry guys.

My husband's got a friend, late 40s, a couple of years divorced, newly in Auckland (in the Viaduct no less) and he thinks he's died and gone to heaven. I keep telling him he's no millionaire and he's not famous so he better stop drooling over the young wans - they're not interested!

Good luck with the younger man scenario - it's a good plan in theory but he'll do your head in
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:21 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
Good luck with the younger man scenario - it's a good plan in theory but he'll do your head in
But a fun game to play all the same ... If their mum lets them out after 9pm ...
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:36 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Batty
I remember as a twenty something having a belief that if you beat them all together you wouldn't get a 'decent one'. Sorry guys.
True though.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

But a fun game to play all the same ... If their mum lets them out after 9pm ...
....and they have enough pocket-money to buy you a bag of chips!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'll get me coat. . . . . .