Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Driving in NZ on a British License!

Driving in NZ on a British License!

Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

traciridgwell will become famous soon enough
Default Driving in NZ on a British License!

Hi everyone! Please could anyone give me a few more details about driving in NZ?? Do we have to pass another test? Is it just a theory or with an actual test as well?? Do we have to get a NZ license within 12 months or we can't drive? It all seems a bit confusing!! Thanks. Traci
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Driving in NZ on a British License!

Originally Posted by traciridgwell
Hi everyone! Please could anyone give me a few more details about driving in NZ?? Do we have to pass another test? Is it just a theory or with an actual test as well?? Do we have to get a NZ license within 12 months or we can't drive? It all seems a bit confusing!! Thanks. Traci
It's not a huge deal, Traci. You can drive on your UK licence for twelve months. You can then convert your UK licence to a New Zealand licence by sitting a thirty-five question theory test. Just brush up on the road code before sitting the test. It's a doddle.

Good luck.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You can drive for 12 months on a UK licence with no other paperwork, and there are insurers who will be quite happy with this and to credit you your UK no-claims (bring a letter of proof just in case they ask to see it - ours didn't). You need to do the theory test within 12 months and you'll then get a NZ licence. Note that you can't supervise a learner while you only have a UK licence (might be important if you have kids who want to learn)
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:59 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment you can drive on your UK licence for 1 year, unless you leave the country and then the 1 year is counted from when you re-enter NZ. I arrived here January 2007 so I should have taken the NZ theory test to get my NZ licence but as I left for a week in October, I have until I re-entered the country.

Here's where you can swot up for the theory online: http://www.communitylaw.org.nz/licen...icle+questions
HTH.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:00 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say that there is some discussion about going the way of Australia and allowing peeps to drive on UK licence without need to update- fingers crossed for that option here as two test will cost us $160!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:03 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
At the moment you can drive on your UK licence for 1 year, unless you leave the country and then the 1 year is counted from when you re-enter NZ. I arrived here January 2007 so I should have taken the NZ theory test to get my NZ licence but as I left for a week in October, I have until I re-entered the country.

Here's where you can swot up for the theory online: http://www.communitylaw.org.nz/licen...icle+questions
HTH.

Gotta do ours this week & still not swotted!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:09 pm
---

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Gotta do ours this week & still not swotted!!!!
Best get to it then- it's not so much hard as boring. My idea of fun isn't memorising how many meters behind my car a ladder can stick out or when I can park over the fire hydrant sign
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi

There is a web site you can practise your test on, I kept doing this, went in a week later, took the test and passed 100%. It is very easy. It a Scratch card, just have a multiple choice of questions.

If I can do it anyone can
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You need to take your theory scratch card test within one year otherwise you could find yourself also taking the practical.

Buy a copy of the road code and learn it. It's similar to the UK Highway code book with some differing rules.

You would then go to any AA office here in NZ to sit your test. It's best to phone for an appointment. Take your passport and UK drivers licence with you.
They will give you an eyesight test and take your photo.

You then sit the test, which is a scratch card, and I think you must not get more that 3/4 wrong.

Car Drivers Road Code Test
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

The theroy test is very easy as long as you do a bit of reading of the nz road code,a few things are different. Me,hubby and son all passed ours with 100%,so that tells you it's not hard at all!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:45 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
went in a week later, took the test and passed 100%. It is very easy. It a Scratch card, just have a multiple choice of questions.
I got 34/35. :curse: 100%? You show-off.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:32 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I got two wrong - one about what hours you can drive on your restricted licence. Can't remember the other.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
I got 34/35. :curse: 100%? You show-off.
I bet you were gutted, one wrong
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
I bet you were gutted, one wrong
Sorta...I mean, I studied and all.

Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

traciridgwell will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit

HTH.
Many thanks for your help! - I've tried the theory twice and failed miserably both times! How many questions out of 33 do you have to get right to pass, please?? Traci

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.