Driving in NZ

Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in NZ

Hi, have read 2 conflicting articles ~ I hold UK driver's licence and have done for many years. Do I need to sit a theory test in NZ or a practical test to change my licence? If it's a practical, do you have to reverse park . You can laugh if you like, I live in the middle of nowhere and the smallest space I usually have to park in would fit a combine harvester! Thanks Flora
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in NZ

no test - go to the AA with your UK licence and they will give you a NZ licence for the same class of vehicles (car, bike) as you have.

Truck licences are a bit more complicated but guess you don't have one of those?

Jan
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jan! No truck licence required!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

Do we know what happens if we have penalty points?

I picked up some today hopefully licence will be back before we fly? they say about 6 weeks thats like 5 days before we depart
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:21 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
Do we know what happens if we have penalty points?

I picked up some today hopefully licence will be back before we fly? they say about 6 weeks thats like 5 days before we depart
When I swapped license, I only gave them the photocard for reference. In the UK, the points are placed on the paper part of the license, so hopefully it shouldn't matter......
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

anyway you have 12 months to exchange
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by florabundi
Hi, have read 2 conflicting articles ~ I hold UK driver's licence and have done for many years. Do I need to sit a theory test in NZ or a practical test to change my licence? If it's a practical, do you have to reverse park . You can laugh if you like, I live in the middle of nowhere and the smallest space I usually have to park in would fit a combine harvester! Thanks Flora

Hi,

I've just gone through this process!! Thought I could walk in and just get a new one, but you have to provide passport, UK photo driving licence and proof of current address in NZ, Once you have all this, you have an eye test and pay a fee of $53. You are issued with a temporary paper licence and your photo licence arrives in the post about a week later. Quite straight forward, as long as you have the proof of address, which I didn't because I hadn't opened any bank accounts prior to leaving the UK. Luckily, I received a letter to my NZ address from the Nursing Council in the UK.

But as Janeyk says, you do have 12 months, so no worries.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by BevK
Hi,

Thought I could walk in and just get a new one, but you have to provide passport, UK photo driving licence and proof of current address in NZ,
Hi Bev, do you know if they accept the older paper only UK licence?
John.

Last edited by johnht; Sep 14th 2011 at 9:16 pm. Reason: deleted too much quote
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnht
Hi Bev, do you know if they accept the older paper only UK licence?
John.
Hi John,

If that's all you have, I'm sure they would have to accept it. I photocopied both just in case and although she looked at the paper one, she only wanted the photocard licence. Thats another thing, make sure you take photocopies of the originals beforehand, otherwise you get stung for a dollar a copy

Bev
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:23 am
Just Joined

clairewa is an unknown quantity at this point

i failed the eye test part last week as my left eye is slightly short sighted and so i couldnt see the left hand row of letters, had to go to optometrist and pay to have them tested and buy glasses so i could get a certificate to drive, claire
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Jan went in with the old paper one no problem

Neil