Driving in NZ

Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:35 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in NZ

exactly !
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:41 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

and perhaps I'm wrong, but is there no advanced (IAM) exam in NZ.

There seems to be a culture of expectation with regard to a driving licence in NZ and once you have it then "there's nothing more to learn", or, "she'll be right".

I'm always amazed how many kiwi's don't even know the basics. Like I stopped once to help someone broken down. A flat tyre. "got a spare" I asked - shrug of shoulders was the response, "know where your jack is", another shrug.

Anyway did the job for them and told them to be careful as it was an emergency tyre and not really go for speed. And off they well - like the devil was chasing them !!!

I wouldn't mind if it was just them that were killed, after all it's Darwinisum in the raw. But these people usually end up taking out others.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:05 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Is that the realistic braking distance of a modern car with ABS, or the braking distance in the road code based on a Morris Minor with drum brakes all round? I remember Top Gear did a feature on this and the official braking distances from the UK code were laughable
And anyway, even if someone could state that the braking distance was, say 100m - how many could estimate 100m to within 20%?

I wondered that actually in regards to the brakes. Still, one of the tests in the road code is still the 2 second rule. How effective that is I don't know.

As for advanced driving exam - what is that? There are defensive and advanced driving courses around. Are they the same thing?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
Can I add to this thread that the general standard of driving in NZ (IMO) is utterly appalling. Rude, aggresive, too fast and getting pissed and driving is 'just one of those things'. For me the driving is the only HUGE negative for me living here. Too many of the drivers in NZ are utter tossers. A bit of a sweeping statement I grant you but from a 'UK driving perspective' the driving over here sucks.

Completely and utterly agree...

The standard of driving here is THE biggest shock for me living in New Zealand and it's way way below UK and European driving standards.
Add in the fact that insurance is NOT compulsory and cars, are in most part, old sh*t boxes that must barely pass their WOF, if they even have one and the roads are not a great place to be!!

The main motorway into Auckland every day at rush hour is like a scene from a UK car breakers yard in terms of the age of cars... you see cars with huge crash damage, missing panels, the same cars week in week on a space saver etc etc etc etc .......
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

jd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant futurejd426 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
Can I add to this thread that the general standard of driving in NZ (IMO) is utterly appalling. Rude, aggresive, too fast and getting pissed and driving is 'just one of those things'. For me the driving is the only HUGE negative for me living here. Too many of the drivers in NZ are utter tossers. A bit of a sweeping statement I grant you but from a 'UK driving perspective' the driving over here sucks.
Agree completely. Truck and bus drivers are just as bad and the cops are among the very worst as they lurch from cock up to cock up in their mobile cash registers. They're all bloody lethal and nobody gives a shit.