Driving in NZ

Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

GINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Driving in NZ

Many thanks for all the replies. My wife is a safe driver (probably safer than me!!) and the replies have put her at ease so she is not worried about driving over there, she has taken out the extra excess insurance on the hire car.

heres looking forward to a positive feedback from her recce!

Once again thanks for the feedback,
Gary and Sharon
Old Jul 9th 2006, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by GINGERSEAMONSTER
My wife is coming over to NZ in October on a 2 week recce and is hiring a car to get around. We have an itinerary which involves driving to Hawkes Bay area, Tauranga and Whangarei, so she will be clocking up a few miles.

She has asked me to ask on the forum for any advice on driving in NZ, such as road conditions to expect and attitudes of other road users. how much is petrol a litre at the moment?

Any advice would be gratefully received
Hi,if you are coming to Tauranga be very carefully as the drivers around here are very dangerous,they will pull out in front of you,they will tailgate you New Zealand drivers are one of the worst in the world,do not speed as there is police ready to pounce for doing over 100k,they hide in cars and vans waiting for you to pass and then they get you for speeding,to finish most NEW Zea landers dont have insurance so if you have a bump most of the time you will have to pay,make sure get a good hospital insurance because you will have to pay for that if you have an accident,I am from the UK,and i am just trying to warn you what it is like,regards,Norman
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:50 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

make sure get a good hospital insurance because you will have to pay for that if you have an accident,
If you have an accident ACC pays, for medical care and up to 80% of your income if you're off work and for any issues that may arise as a result of your accident, ad infinitum.

Whilst it is not compulsory to have insurance, MOST New Zealanders do actually have it.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:05 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex geordie
Hi,if you are coming to Tauranga be very carefully as the drivers around here are very dangerous,they will pull out in front of you,they will tailgate you New Zealand drivers are one of the worst in the world,do not speed as there is police ready to pounce for doing over 100k,they hide in cars and vans waiting for you to pass and then they get you for speeding,to finish most NEW Zea landers dont have insurance so if you have a bump most of the time you will have to pay,make sure get a good hospital insurance because you will have to pay for that if you have an accident,I am from the UK,and i am just trying to warn you what it is like,regards,Norman
Hi Norman

What sort of car do you drive in Tauranga?
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:09 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

if you have a bump most of the time you will have to pay,
Well of course you would - it would appear that its your driving not other people not having car insurance.

PS Watch out for my brothers black and red Hummer. He lives near you :scared:
He doesn't stop. Just spray paints the bull bars occasionally.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

[

Whilst it is not compulsory to have insurance, MOST New Zealanders do actually have it.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to meet one that does
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:09 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

MMmm yes - the police do catch you for speeding - and why shouldnt they - if you're speeding you're braking the law. Moral of the story - if you dont want to get stopped just dont speed.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

[

Whilst it is not compulsory to have insurance, MOST New Zealanders do actually have it.
I have yet to meet one that does [/QUOTE]

There is no-one in amongst my friends or family or workmates that doesn't have full car insurance - who are you mixing with ex Geordie?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:31 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

[

I have yet to meet one that does
just curious now as to how many NZ'ers that you have met then? Also wonder if you make a habbit of asking people you meet if they have insurance?

Must be rather a strange greeting........"Hi my name is so & so Im from blah blah & I was wondering if you have car insurance?"
I dont mean to disagree with you but would like to point out I dont know anyone in my immediate family at home that doesnt have insurance. We were always of the opinion that its best to be covered yourself just in case the other bloke doesnt have it & that way it doesnt matter who is at fault.

Shepslady
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

The death rates on the roads in NZ are roughly equivalent to France/Belgium, ie they are much worse than England, but not real nutters like Italy/Greece/Turkey. The lack of motorways is maybe a reason, but i guess it is the mentally of the people / policing standards which are the main reasons behind so many accidents.
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf..._1988-2001.htm