Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Double Glazing is coming

Double Glazing is coming

Old Jul 10th 2010, 10:41 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Double Glazing is coming

Well tomo they have promised to come and fit the new double glazing, its a retro fit sustem, like the ad on Tv but as i have said before , " nothing is as easy as the Tv ad " we have a garage ful of glazed units, and they will bring more withn them tomo, but im not holding my breath, as Kiwi business are shocking at turning up on time, they must all be on Island time !!! it makes me wonder how they make any $$.

So we have around 17 windows and ranch sliders to change, and as we live in the country the temps are a lot lower than town, so by investing in double glazing we hope it will make a big difference in our comfort, as all the original windows are single glazed 4mm if youre lucky !! All the sashes/openers have to be replaced as they are sealed units, nothing as easy as the TV AD !!

Will post some pics as soon as as they are here doing the work.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Double Glazing is coming

Is this the follow up to this thread?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667729
Stil very interested to know what the process is like so any photos info etc would be a great help, thanks
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

So whats the latest news?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 6:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Foof ! Are you frozen to your unglazed window panes?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

A few places are now offering UPVC double glazing now.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:13 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its all in and done, def change in temps, also quietness Albeit we have no external noise apart from a noisy Rooster and some ducks.

Also there is no crying windows in the morning the Aluminium still sweats as its a cold material, if we had been building a new house we would have done it in UPVC as there are people in Cromwell who make it

So so far so good, all the ranch sliders were rebuilt, and new rollers installed as the weight is a lot more than they were with single glaze.

We have had 17 windows rebuilt and at $14k, didnt think that was a bad investment, future proof and a good resale assett, we hope

I have taken some pics, but will up load later
Old Jul 18th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Sounds like it all went very soothly. Look forward to seeing the pictures
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Yes its all in and done, def change in temps, also quietness Albeit we have no external noise apart from a noisy Rooster and some ducks.

Also there is no crying windows in the morning the Aluminium still sweats as its a cold material, if we had been building a new house we would have done it in UPVC as there are people in Cromwell who make it

So so far so good, all the ranch sliders were rebuilt, and new rollers installed as the weight is a lot more than they were with single glaze.

We have had 17 windows rebuilt and at $14k, didnt think that was a bad investment, future proof and a good resale assett, we hope

I have taken some pics, but will up load later
Nice one m8 aint you posh now
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

In Aus not NZ but since I got to Brisbane I've only seen one double glazing van which makes a change from UK but can't understand whey they don't have it as would keep houses warmer in winter and cooler in Summer.

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Well tomo they have promised to come and fit the new double glazing, its a retro fit sustem, like the ad on Tv but as i have said before , " nothing is as easy as the Tv ad " we have a garage ful of glazed units, and they will bring more withn them tomo, but im not holding my breath, as Kiwi business are shocking at turning up on time, they must all be on Island time !!! it makes me wonder how they make any $$.

So we have around 17 windows and ranch sliders to change, and as we live in the country the temps are a lot lower than town, so by investing in double glazing we hope it will make a big difference in our comfort, as all the original windows are single glazed 4mm if youre lucky !! All the sashes/openers have to be replaced as they are sealed units, nothing as easy as the TV AD !!

Will post some pics as soon as as they are here doing the work.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

From what I am told all new builds in NZ will have double glazing. Correct me if I am wrong.

June
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
From what I am told all new builds in NZ will have double glazing. Correct me if I am wrong.

June
After 2007 (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong) all new builds have to have double glazing, BUT thats only if the house plans were approved after this date. If approved before, then the house can be built without double glazing........and there are a lot of houses that were approved but have not yet been built.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The standard of doule glazing required to meet building specsis also pretty low.
Small gap no argon but its still better than single glazing
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by colandros
Small gap no argon but its still better than single glazing

I have noticed that double glazing firms advertise argon filled DGU's as an optional extra
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson

June
Not that far advanced over here but it's the way to go.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:16 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

They have only just realised that the Aluminium sweats as it gets cold, we have the glass thats still a bit misty in the mornings, and the ally has water dripping off it, thats why they are starting to do UPVC DG , the plastic stays warm and does not sweat !! Also as Kiwis dont like change , they are put a Thermal break built into the Aluminium so it stays warm on inside of frame, but as far as i can find out, this costs the same as UPVC so why bother with Ally ?

We have noticed a great change in temps, but as there is no mains Gas down on SI or most of NZ we cant put a real central heating system in, we are looking into running a few Radiators off a Wet back system, i will install the rads myself and get the rest done by Plumber.

But for now we are warmer in winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.