Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Don't need a work visa - need advise

Don't need a work visa - need advise

Old Feb 27th 2014, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't need a work visa - need advise

Hi all,
My wench and I are looking at all options for relocation to of UK. Like France but don't speak the lingo.

Chatting to a Kiwi at work today and he suggested we look at NZ. Makes perfect sense - ticks every box.

here's my question though. I don't need to work in NZ as I work all over the world - currently in China. So how does the immigration thing work if I don't need to apply for a work visa?
cheers
Mike
Old Feb 27th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't need a work visa - need advise

You might fall down. Are you intending to actually LIVE in New Zealand permanently? If so you'd need to apply for and get residency most likely under Skilled Migrant Category. The problem you'd run into would be that you wouldn't have a job offer in NZ and that would mean you would not be likely to meet the minimum points threshhold to qualify. Now there may be a category for investors or business people or those with a lot of capital but I'm far less aware of those so will leave it to others.

In short I think unless you're going to be living AND working here you're unlikely to be able to just live here on the grounds that you like it and it's a lovely country, if those were the minimum requirements I think NZ would have a serious population issue
Old Feb 27th 2014, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

You might want to read around the forum too - NZ ticks a lot of boxes, but some people here find they have one or two crucial boxes left sadly unticked! ...like being able to afford a decent standard of living, being able to travel relatively cheaply, being able to see friends and family at will... many kiwis will have (possibly justified) high opinion of NZ, but often don't face the same issues of comparative poverty and isolation that migrants face.
Don't let this put you off further investigation - I am sure you wouldn't - it's just a word of caution - the roses have thorns here too!
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Pondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond reputePondlife has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, many thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

As I say I'm just looking at the moment. with my job I have lived in a few countries and have paid the taxes I earned overseas into the country of where I am living. They've always been happy with that, but each country is different - hence the question.

Travelling to and from NZ to visit relatives is not an issue as it's paid for by the company. As is private health etc.

I just asked in case someone else on the site had been through the process before. I usually ask as I can get insider information before relocating.

vkr

Mike
Old Feb 28th 2014, 12:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here you go.

NZIS

and a Q&A guide

Have a browse around for a bit and come back with your thoughts.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link - looked at that one already and didn't help me answer my question, that's why I popped in to this area of the forum.

Probably best for me to take advise on this one I think.
Although I qualify for 2 of the skilled migrant categories i wouldn't want to do either as quite happy in existing role.

I'll have a chat to my wife when I return to UK and get her thoughts and have a chat with CIBT who normally deal visas whenever/wherever I work and see if they can shed light on this.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:07 am
`

That link is the official New Zealand Immigration website. You won't get better or clearer than that.

I read you are a paramedic - perhaps working for an international body?

Best bet would be to take advice from the HR of your employer.

To be clear , are you suggesting you wish to become long term NZ resident? Emigrate ?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:22 am
`

Coming back to this.

I have something wittering at the edge of my mind about merchant seaman. They don't work 'in' NZ or even for NZ merch navy .

I just think there was something on here one time about this. It would fit similarly to your situation.

Lemme think. It may surface.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bev,

Yes as I say I love what I do at present which is Paramedic working for global company. I would be eligible under the Skilled Migrant Category as a University Lecturer or Occupational H&S Advisor in Oil and Gas Industry. But I've done that and it's not as fulfilling a role as the one I have at present.

Sound advise about speaking to my employer, sorry I didn't make it clear, CIBT are the company that my employers deal with regards immigration and visas.

I am looking for an extended, long term residency 5 years - possible longer. I do tend to get itchy feet.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

yes, that sort of thing is nearer to what I'm after. I shall take a looksie as well. Thanks