Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Don't kill me, but I have to ask... (Oz vs. NZ)

Don't kill me, but I have to ask... (Oz vs. NZ)

Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:55 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't kill me, but I have to ask... (Oz vs. NZ)

When the salaries after tax in Australia are higher than pre-tax pay in NZ, why did you choose NZ? What other factors, if you were choosing between the two, steered you towards NZ as opposed to Australia?

I know there will come a time when I'll have to sell NZ to hubby vs. Oz. He's actually pretty gung-ho to leave the US (and he was born and bred here) but I think it's a question that I'll have to answer at some time, and as we're only planning on visiting NZ next year, we'll not have a physical comparison between the two.

Like I said, please don't kill me...
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Don't kill me, but I have to ask... (Oz vs. NZ)

Originally Posted by Maz
When the salaries after tax in Australia are higher than pre-tax pay in NZ, why did you choose NZ? What other factors, if you were choosing between the two, steered you towards NZ as opposed to Australia?

I know there will come a time when I'll have to sell NZ to hubby vs. Oz. He's actually pretty gung-ho to leave the US (and he was born and bred here) but I think it's a question that I'll have to answer at some time, and as we're only planning on visiting NZ next year, we'll not have a physical comparison between the two.

OK Wont kill you but might poke you with a spoon a bit

*pokes*

on a serious side, we came here as hubby is kiwi and been away 18 yrs, never considered Oz as an option as he wanted to come home, so I guess our reasoning is different to alot of the guys on here

dawn
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:32 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
OK Wont kill you but might poke you with a spoon a bit

*pokes*

on a serious side, we came here as hubby is kiwi and been away 18 yrs, never considered Oz as an option as he wanted to come home, so I guess our reasoning is different to alot of the guys on here

dawn
*ouch!* That spoon is pointy! LOL

Thanks Dawn. Yes, your reasoning is most likely not the majority verdict on these boards. There again mine probably won't be either. I'm in the US, in hubby's homeland, and we still want to leave! It'll be interesting to read other responses.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:04 pm
Maz

*bump*
Oh go on, someone else humour me?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz

personaaly i came to nz because i was offered a job here, at a ddecent salary. many people found it easier to qualify for NZ immigration than Aus, not sure if that is still the case. Australia and NZ are quite different culturally, a broad generalisation is that for me, Aus is more like the US and NZ is more like the UK.
The cost of living is also cheaper in NZ compared to aus, ok auckland is getting expensive but it is still cheaper than sydney or melbourne.

out of interest, why do u prefer NZ?
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:56 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
*bump*
Oh go on, someone else humour me?

Gidday.

I have only been to Brisbane and Sydney so im not really an expert. I've been all over NZ.

One differece is the size. Until you actually travel in OZ you don't appreciate how big it is -its huge. So, in NZ everything is closer together. I can drive to a ski-field no problem. Go surfing.

I think Ozzies are more outspoken, outgoing and friendly. Kiwi's are a bit more reserved on the whole.

Wages are higher in OZ.

Weather. Definetly warmer in OZ. Better for outdoor living, bbq's etc.

NZ is on an earthquake faultline.

More varied scenery in NZ within smaller distances.

OZ looks outwards to the world, NZ looks inwards.

Some people make a comparison between Sydney and Auckland and Melnourne and Wellington. But I dont think that holds up.

Job market is much bigger in OZ. Getting work in NZ can be a mission.

Maybe there is more of a cafe culture in NZ? Although Sydney had loads of cafes, in Brisbane you have to look for them but they are there. Wellington more cafes/restaurants per capita then New York.

I dunno, I think there are more similarities than differences. Come to both and see which you like the best!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:19 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by newkiwi
personaaly i came to nz because i was offered a job here, at a ddecent salary. many people found it easier to qualify for NZ immigration than Aus, not sure if that is still the case. Australia and NZ are quite different culturally, a broad generalisation is that for me, Aus is more like the US and NZ is more like the UK.
The cost of living is also cheaper in NZ compared to aus, ok auckland is getting expensive but it is still cheaper than sydney or melbourne.

out of interest, why do u prefer NZ?
I'm hoping to be able to transfer within my company... I'm in IT, though, which is a desired skill, but a lot of my company's jobs have been moved to Australia. The thought of ending up with next to no mortgage is, frankly, very appealing, but we do realise that places like Auckland in particular are starting to catch up with the rest of the world in terms of house price.

I think I prefer NZ over Aus because it's smaller and less in the world's eye. The US, especially right now, doesn't fit at all with what we want as a family. We also don't like the education system here, it royally sucks. We'll have to pretty much bankrupt ourselves to help our daughter through college in 14 years' time. I've also heard that Aus is basically one huge desert with a supremely expensive strip of green around the edge. The idea of being within reach of the sea and the mountains relatively easily also appeals a lot.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:22 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Budowsky
Gidday.

I have only been to Brisbane and Sydney so im not really an expert. I've been all over NZ.

One differece is the size. Until you actually travel in OZ you don't appreciate how big it is -its huge. So, in NZ everything is closer together. I can drive to a ski-field no problem. Go surfing.

I think Ozzies are more outspoken, outgoing and friendly. Kiwi's are a bit more reserved on the whole.

Wages are higher in OZ.

Weather. Definetly warmer in OZ. Better for outdoor living, bbq's etc.

NZ is on an earthquake faultline.

More varied scenery in NZ within smaller distances.

OZ looks outwards to the world, NZ looks inwards.

Some people make a comparison between Sydney and Auckland and Melnourne and Wellington. But I dont think that holds up.

Job market is much bigger in OZ. Getting work in NZ can be a mission.

Maybe there is more of a cafe culture in NZ? Although Sydney had loads of cafes, in Brisbane you have to look for them but they are there. Wellington more cafes/restaurants per capita then New York.

I dunno, I think there are more similarities than differences. Come to both and see which you like the best!
Love the idea of a more cafe culture - I lived in France for nearly 4 years and miss that part of living quite a bit. Your comment about making comparisons between Sydney and Auckland etc. is quite surprising as they're so vastly different in size! I'd love to have the money to go to both, but neither of us really fancies settling in Australia... but New Zealand has been 'pulling' us, if that makes any sense. Thanks for the answers, everyone!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Love the idea of a more cafe culture - I lived in France for nearly 4 years and miss that part of living quite a bit. Your comment about making comparisons between Sydney and Auckland etc. is quite surprising as they're so vastly different in size! I'd love to have the money to go to both, but neither of us really fancies settling in Australia... but New Zealand has been 'pulling' us, if that makes any sense. Thanks for the answers, everyone!
People tend to compare sydney to auckland because they are both the largest and most expensive cities, with most immigrants settling there, and the commercial bub of the country. both also have quite a lot of beaches and a oceany culture, but yes sydney is 4 times the size of auckland.

most jobs are in auckland, but wellington is quite good for jobs also. you can look at house prices on realenz.co.nz

have fun deciding....
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:06 pm
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz

Dont worry too much which one you choose. Stay in either long enough to get your citizenship and you can live and work in either country legally.

I think NZ might be less of a culture shock. A lot of people say Auckland has a similar feel to Sydney and Wellington to Melbourne. But I disagree with that statement quite a bit. I've also heard that OZ is more vibrant than NZ.

This is true. I was talking to a women recently on a flight to Brisbane who was an ex wellingtonian.It was a freezing cold wet and miserable day in Welly and I asked her if she would ever move back to welly. SHe looked at me as if it was nuts and said NOWAY! She only comes back to see her sick sister.

My ex boss is from Brisbane, and if she could, she has a kiwi oh, she has told me many times that she would go back there tommorrow if she could.

Also, look at the steady stream of kiwi's going overseas to OZ, Yes, some of them will come back.

Check out stats New Zealand. 40% of long term migrants in 1999 were from Asia. Walking around downtown Auckland is like being in Asia!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry too much which one you choose. Stay in either long enough to get your citizenship and you can live and work in either country legally.
Once you get your NZ citizenship you can live and work in Oz, this now takes 5 years to be able to apply and 8-10 months to get to the ceremony stage.
If you get your Oz PR you can legally live and work in NZ.

Ian
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Check out stats New Zealand. 40% of long term migrants in 1999 were from Asia. Walking around downtown Auckland is like being in Asia!
This has changed now since the NZIS brought in the 5 year to Citizenship rule, as you know people were/are using NZ as a stepping stone.

Were going to Oz in January after 3 years in here, Auckland and Christchurch. And no were going the way of a 457 visa and not as a "Kiwi"
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

Kates a nurse..so either 2 were goers. I had previously visited both countries..we chose NZ because of its size and diversity. Oz is just way too big for me and it is basically warm all the time from what I saw and have heard. I like some variety in my climate. Politically i rest better in a labour country than a conservative one..but that may change!! I felt it was unbearably hot in the summer and re the wages being higher than NZ one wonders how much that is swallowed up by higher housing costs. I loved Oz but just feel more at home here than I think I would have in Oz. Its horses for courses innit? I fully understand why shed loads of people do the bunk over the ditch..or choose Oz in the 1st place. Good luck where ever you go!!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:53 am
Banned

Smile Re: Don't kill me, but I have to ask... (Oz vs. NZ)

Originally Posted by Genesis
Kates a nurse..so either 2 were goers. I had previously visited both countries..we chose NZ because of its size and diversity. Oz is just way too big for me and it is basically warm all the time from what I saw and have heard. I like some variety in my climate. Politically i rest better in a labour country than a conservative one..but that may change!! I felt it was unbearably hot in the summer and re the wages being higher than NZ one wonders how much that is swallowed up by higher housing costs. I loved Oz but just feel more at home here than I think I would have in Oz. Its horses for courses innit? I fully understand why shed loads of people do the bunk over the ditch..or choose Oz in the 1st place. Good luck where ever you go!!

What do you do if you don't mind me asking? Play in travelling band?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Not been to Oz yet but I prefer the climate here in NZ. I dont like too much heat and would probably end up spending large amounts of time in the summer indoors in air conditioned rooms which isn't ideal. Also, the insects put me off to the point I am a little worried about my hols at Christmas incase I spend too much time fretting that I might see a big spider. Stupid I know, I'm sure I'll be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.