Dogs & Furniture

Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:43 pm
  #1  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Dogs & Furniture

Hi this is my 1st Post, so please be gentle.

We, my wife and 2 kids are possibly moving to NZ early in the new year, as I been offered 3jobs 1 on the North Shore 1 in Auckland and 1 in Tuaraguana(excuse spelling). We have stillto decide on where to go and that is the only thing we are wondering.

I have come on here and hopefully get some answers to a couple of questions:

1. I believe that there is a restriction on bringing timber furniture into the country, is this correct and if so what are they?

2. We want to bring our dog with us but don't know about quarantine or couriers etc.

3. I want to bring my motorbike with me and want to know if there is any restrictions on this.

Any recommendations on moving companies would be great!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Andy
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:17 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
planty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Timaru, NZ
Posts: 484
planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Hi this is my 1st Post, so please be gentle.

We, my wife and 2 kids are possibly moving to NZ early in the new year, as I been offered 3jobs 1 on the North Shore 1 in Auckland and 1 in Tuaraguana(excuse spelling). We have stillto decide on where to go and that is the only thing we are wondering.

I have come on here and hopefully get some answers to a couple of questions:

1. I believe that there is a restriction on bringing timber furniture into the country, is this correct and if so what are they?

2. We want to bring our dog with us but don't know about quarantine or couriers etc.

3. I want to bring my motorbike with me and want to know if there is any restrictions on this.

Any recommendations on moving companies would be great!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Andy


Hi Andy and welcome to forum, there's been some discussion on the pets quite recently so you won't have to wait to long for an answer on that.

What sort of timber furniture are you talking about? Outdoor Garden kind or indoor housey kind?

Someone was saying about 2 ferries that just go round and round the world non stop, taking cars and bikes, this was about 2-3 months ago, so if you don't mind trawling the past posts, sure you'll find it. Sounded very reasonable in price to, I think they shipped a Harley.
planty is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:32 pm
  #3  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by planty
Hi Andy and welcome to forum, there's been some discussion on the pets quite recently so you won't have to wait to long for an answer on that.

What sort of timber furniture are you talking about? Outdoor Garden kind or indoor housey kind?

Someone was saying about 2 ferries that just go round and round the world non stop, taking cars and bikes, this was about 2-3 months ago, so if you don't mind trawling the past posts, sure you'll find it. Sounded very reasonable in price to, I think they shipped a Harley.

Hi thanks for the welcome; the furniture is housey stuff and I thought I may be allowed to put my motorbike in the same container as my furniture etc.

I will look through previous posts thanks,just thumbing my way thru this site so far, a wee bit worried to hear that so many people are not enjoying it, I have been on business and pleasure and have many friends spread all over the north island and they absolutely love it.

Hope we enjoy it any sort of weather would make us enjoy it as all w have is rain, it is easy to look thru papers and find bad things happening you will never get away from that. My NI went up to this year I pay 40% tax and my council tax is a mortgage on its own. The city nearest me is Glasgow and is the murder capital of europe :scared: and I am not by any means a racist but I am sick to the back teth of hearing all about refugees getting this and that, let them in if they will work and benefit the nation not rip it to shreds and cripple it.

So sorry this is our reason for moving
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:36 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Kaiapoi, chch
Posts: 60
dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Hi this is my 1st Post, so please be gentle.

We, my wife and 2 kids are possibly moving to NZ early in the new year, as I been offered 3jobs 1 on the North Shore 1 in Auckland and 1 in Tuaraguana(excuse spelling). We have stillto decide on where to go and that is the only thing we are wondering.

I have come on here and hopefully get some answers to a couple of questions:

1. I believe that there is a restriction on bringing timber furniture into the country, is this correct and if so what are they?

2. We want to bring our dog with us but don't know about quarantine or couriers etc.

3. I want to bring my motorbike with me and want to know if there is any restrictions on this.

Any recommendations on moving companies would be great!

Thanks for your help in advance!

Andy
Hi there and welcome
we are taking our labrador with us costing £1500. we leave 2nd Nov and the dog 2 weeks later as we want to be settled before we collect her.this is how it works, first make sure now all upto date with injections and get micro chipped then 26 days before they fly out take to vet for blood sample and stool sample we are leaving here with the export people at there kennels so 10 days before she goes she has the same again+ wormer and then checked over by vet before take off. they are charging us £7 per day for kennels but they all like it if you get sorted before your animals come out.
shipping companies gone for PSS had so many round just could not touch them.
There is a no no on bamboo and wicker unless you get it fumigated with virkon as grubs get buried inside.
outside stuff needs rubbing down then resealing again on the legs mainly
hope this helps.
dlummis is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:44 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Kaiapoi, chch
Posts: 60
dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Hi thanks for the welcome; the furniture is housey stuff and I thought I may be allowed to put my motorbike in the same container as my furniture etc.

I will look through previous posts thanks,just thumbing my way thru this site so far, a wee bit worried to hear that so many people are not enjoying it, I have been on business and pleasure and have many friends spread all over the north island and they absolutely love it.

Hope we enjoy it any sort of weather would make us enjoy it as all w have is rain, it is easy to look thru papers and find bad things happening you will never get away from that. My NI went up to this year I pay 40% tax and my council tax is a mortgage on its own. The city nearest me is Glasgow and is the murder capital of europe :scared: and I am not by any means a racist but I am sick to the back teth of hearing all about refugees getting this and that, let them in if they will work and benefit the nation not rip it to shreds and cripple it.

So sorry this is our reason for moving
Hi again but i had to reply to this and all i can say is spot bollock on mate.
you will read good and bad on this site but that is all to help us really. Believe what you want off this site and ignore the bad bits but just keep them in the back of your mind so you are prepared if it happens, the negatives are there to help aswell and they do.
Cheers
Darryn
dlummis is offline  
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:08 pm
  #6  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by dlummis
Hi again but i had to reply to this and all i can say is spot bollock on mate.
you will read good and bad on this site but that is all to help us really. Believe what you want off this site and ignore the bad bits but just keep them in the back of your mind so you are prepared if it happens, the negatives are there to help aswell and they do.
Cheers
Darryn

Thanks Darryn for all your help, very good info. Owe you one

Andy
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:16 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joshlin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: our own home, chch
Posts: 812
Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Thanks Darryn for all your help, very good info. Owe you one

Andy
Hi Andy and welcome
can't help re: pets but as suggested if you search back you'll find loads of info.
we too used PSS - excellent service so far - haven't had the container back yet to give you the final verdict.

re: wooden furniture, your standard household stuff is fine but as dlummis says anything bamboo / cane / wicker will give you a headache and a major MAF bill if you try to bring it in. There's a link on the immigration site to the MAF site which gives you loads of info on what can / can't come with you.

Vicki
Joshlin is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:22 am
  #8  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Andy and welcome
can't help re: pets but as suggested if you search back you'll find loads of info.
we too used PSS - excellent service so far - haven't had the container back yet to give you the final verdict.

re: wooden furniture, your standard household stuff is fine but as dlummis says anything bamboo / cane / wicker will give you a headache and a major MAF bill if you try to bring it in. There's a link on the immigration site to the MAF site which gives you loads of info on what can / can't come with you.

Vicki

Thanks Vicki, where have you moved to?

Anyone with any prefered suggestions for places to live, see above to see where I have been offered jobs, Bay of Plenty, North shore and Auckland City
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 11:53 am
  #9  
Nice Tats
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Hi thanks for the welcome; the furniture is housey stuff and I thought I may be allowed to put my motorbike in the same container as my furniture etc.

I will look through previous posts thanks,just thumbing my way thru this site so far, a wee bit worried to hear that so many people are not enjoying it, I have been on business and pleasure and have many friends spread all over the north island and they absolutely love it.

Hope we enjoy it any sort of weather would make us enjoy it as all w have is rain, it is easy to look thru papers and find bad things happening you will never get away from that. My NI went up to this year I pay 40% tax and my council tax is a mortgage on its own. The city nearest me is Glasgow and is the murder capital of europe :scared: and I am not by any means a racist but I am sick to the back teth of hearing all about refugees getting this and that, let them in if they will work and benefit the nation not rip it to shreds and cripple it.

So sorry this is our reason for moving
Ironic that you are becoming an immigrant to avoid immigrants..........dont be sorry we all have our reasons for wanting to leave....but dont let economics be one of them .... as everybody seems to find it tough to make ends meet in NZ as you will read on this forum.

All the best in your endeavour
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:27 pm
  #10  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Ironic that you are becoming an immigrant to avoid immigrants..........dont be sorry we all have our reasons for wanting to leave....but dont let economics be one of them .... as everybody seems to find it tough to make ends meet in NZ as you will read on this forum.

All the best in your endeavour

Never really thought of it like that, I am not going to NZ to make my millions all the jobs I have been offered are around the NZ$100-120k, which seems to be a reasonable wage, I have friends who are kiwis and tell me that the average family earns about 50-60k, and that some items are cheaper and some are more expensive but overall when I have been there and what I am told by locals is that things are pretty much similar (my friends have lived in uk). The other advice I have been given is when I get there to not convert money back to uk £, and just work with the NZ$ and see how much further mentally your money goes.

Obviously it is more expensive to live and work in Auckland than anywhere else, just like the UK, where is the most expensive place to live and work, London. Not rocket science is it, the real problem is that no one really knows what sort of salary will give you a comfortable life in NZ.

Where do you live pompey?
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:38 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
planty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Timaru, NZ
Posts: 484
planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

[ Not rocket science is it

Where do you live pompey?[/QUOTE
]

Will the penny drop?
planty is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 1:48 pm
  #12  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by planty
]

Will the penny drop?

Yes Yes! Could just be a die hard fan and already moved! But obviously not and I look silly now!
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2005, 4:59 pm
  #13  
Nice Tats
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Yes Yes! Could just be a die hard fan and already moved! But obviously not and I look silly now!
Pompey

And a die hard! all our rellys live in NZ, we plan to go...but not for a coupla years! good advice on the conversion.....but i still fall on the quite expensive to live in NZ camp.....much cheaper Spain / France where the rest of my rellys live.....but i guess we are not moving for cheap..

Take my advice read "slipping into paradise" for a really good unbiased view on the state of NZ

PS i am in IT too....software design...and the wages in NZ not good from what i have seen so far....probably drive a bus or a taxi....
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:08 pm
  #14  
VP - Rangers Support Club
Thread Starter
 
theduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Dannemora, Auckland(ex EK,Scotland)
Posts: 340
theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Pompey

And a die hard! all our rellys live in NZ, we plan to go...but not for a coupla years! good advice on the conversion.....but i still fall on the quite expensive to live in NZ camp.....much cheaper Spain / France where the rest of my rellys live.....but i guess we are not moving for cheap..

Take my advice read "slipping into paradise" for a really good unbiased view on the state of NZ

PS i am in IT too....software design...and the wages in NZ not good from what i have seen so far....probably drive a bus or a taxi....

Cool Pompey, footie is one thing I will miss but my other pastime is motorbikes and I believe that there are loads of club rases etc on the roads and track so maybe something else to keep my mind active.

PS I amnot in IT I am in construction as in building industry LOL
theduke is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:59 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Kaiapoi, chch
Posts: 60
dlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant futuredlummis has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dogs & Furniture

Originally Posted by theduke
Cool Pompey, footie is one thing I will miss but my other pastime is motorbikes and I believe that there are loads of club rases etc on the roads and track so maybe something else to keep my mind active.

PS I amnot in IT I am in construction as in building industry LOL
same here i will miss footy but i will enjoy trips to philip island and malaysia gp
instead of Donington
dlummis is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.