Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does NZ pay people more fairly (Dont want to cause offence)

Does NZ pay people more fairly (Dont want to cause offence)

Old Nov 13th 2005, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Does NZ pay people more fairly (Dont want to cause offence)

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi Sky,

Are you still in UK or working in NZ.
In UK don't you think there is a high percentage of nurses on total power struggles, with an attitude of stuff the f*****g patient I want to be the Manager. Diploma's & Degrees in Nursing are good from the point of view that you are equipped with more knowledge, but many nurses don't have their feet on the ground and just don't know the meaning of patient care, and think they are too good to wipe a dirty arse.

thats another reason to come to NZ to nurse. The patient to nurse ratio is small here compaired to my last uk hospital. Here its like 1:6 when i worked on a medical ward in the uk there were 2 nurses for 31 patients, also in nz care assistants do very little hands on care so nurse are allowed to do what we were trained to do and nurse.

Its great im less of a pen pusher and have the time to do a proper job of caring for my patients properly and safely rather than the slap dash job done in the uk.

Oh and sky LOL you need help girl. What did you do in a hospital. Youve completely taken the point of my post and taken it personally. Are you in new zealand? if you are how do you cope, kiwis here seem to call a spade a spade they dont mince their words. Hope your life isnt full of being offended. That certainly wasnt my intention but yet again you have takin it to heart. Try taking up knitting, it will calm you down and reduce your stress hopefully the wool will not offend you.

oh i just noticed you worked in sterile services not suprised you found nurses that were over superior theyre thearte nurses lol i dont even consider their needs to be a role for nurses in the Operating room, dont tar everyone with the same brush i didnt.

the problem with nurses is that we dont fight for a fair pay deal and we see ourselves powerless and shouldnt expect more, this is because doctors, hospital managers and Govt. want us to be weak, if we were paid what we deserve for the work we do we woul bankrupt the NHS or DHBs.

Last edited by Sugo; Nov 13th 2005 at 3:30 am.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:40 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
Oh and sky LOL you need help girl. What did you do in a hospital. Youve completely taken the point of my post and taken it personally. Are you in new zealand? if you are how do you cope, kiwis here seem to call a spade a spade they dont mince their words. Hope your life isnt full of being offended. That certainly wasnt my intention but yet again you have takin it to heart. Try taking up knitting, it will calm you down and reduce your stress hopefully the wool will not offend you.

oh i just noticed you worked in sterile services not suprised you found nurses that were over superior theyre thearte nurses lol i dont even consider their needs to be a role for nurses in the Operating room, dont tar everyone with the same brush i didnt.
Thank you for being so predictable and proving my point, I have been waiting for you to come back and reply to this thread and you did exactly what I thought you would ... you put me down!
Like I said lots of Superior I'm better than you attitudes from lots of nurses.
I find your tone very sarcastic and insulting I hope you don't treat your patients the same, god help them pmsl.

Last edited by sky; Nov 13th 2005 at 6:39 am.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Thank you for being so predictable and proving my point, I have been waiting for you to come back and reply to this thread and you did exactly what I thought you would ... you put me down!
Like I said lots of Superior I'm better than you attitudes from lots of nurses.
I find your tone very sarcastic and insulting I hope you don't treat your patients the same, god help them pmsl.

many apologies, i will send you the wool, wont be sending the knitting needles, im not sure you should be around sharp objects right now, take up finger knitting ,

so what do you do know? proctocology? would make a change you having your head up someone elses rather than you own.

This is kinda silly really, trading remarks on a forum of people i dont really know i cant believe im doing it, but its kinda funny, just not really why this site is here but while there are people like you on here Sky it makes the world a safer happier place, with all the time your online means less time for you to be out in the community.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:24 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

many apologies, i will send you the wool, wont be sending the knitting needles, im not sure you should be around sharp objects right now, take up finger knitting ,

so what do you do know? proctocology? would make a change you having your head up someone elses rather than you own.

This is kinda silly really, trading remarks on a forum of people i dont really know i cant believe im doing it, but its kinda funny, just not really why this site is here but while there are people like you on here Sky it makes the world a safer happier place, with all the time your online means less time for you to be out in the community.
Oh go clean a bed pan or something, you're working yourself up into a right old frenzy aren't you, you're not worth any more of my time ..
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sky
Oh go clean a bed pan or something, you're working yourself up into a right old frenzy aren't you, you're not worth any more of my time ..

LOL
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:30 am
sky
Banned

LOL
Exactly
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:26 am
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

PMT anyone?

Go Girls Go Girls........
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
PMT anyone?

Go Girls Go Girls........

hand bangs at dawn LOL
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:07 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Great stuff.

From Sugo's original post - of asking a fair question - we've come to this.

Now can some of you see what I'm saying about people just wanting to whinge??

Sorry Sky, Just don't see how you come to your conclusions. I think it's a valid point and if you aren't in NZ and arrive with that attitude you will quickly get the age old tag of Whingeing Pom.

Chill FFS.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:12 pm
sky
Banned

Honey I'm chilled and can no one see the big N.Z. by my name ... I am already in New Zealand and have been for the past 20 months
Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There does seem to be better opportunities for nursing staff in New Zealand. For the ambitious nurse , looking for a grade G , it can be dead mans shoes in the UK. Internal politics & admin interferes far too much with actual nursing as a profession.
The patient to nurse ratio is better in NZ , though I have heard a couple of UK nurses complain they would prefer to be busier.

On a personal level, we have incurred both the superb and the dangerously poor levels of service , diagnosis and care within the UK NHS. We have incurred the exact same here though. No more and no less. The same.

TSSU work is quite technical I believe and an extremely important part of any healthcare service if you want healthy patients. Just as nursing is. Healthy patients being the main aim. Both services have my respect. One would like to think a Nurse and a TSSU worker would have a healthy respect for the importance of each others work ,given patient care.

The UK Firemens strike was a political gambit that wasn't going to be won by the firemen. Mainly because of the union leadership. On the ground firemen wanted to keep the 4 on 4 off shift pattern which operates nationwide and was first brought in 50 years ago. The government wanted to change that pattern . That was but one of the major sticking points on which neither side was prepared to budge. Another huge issue was pensions. Even the firemen themselves could not agree on what was fair. A city fireman feels, for instance, that he does more & is worth more , than a small town retained fireman. Many retained fireman are still bitter with the service and each other, following the strike.

Electricians, Gasfitter and Plumbers also do 4 years training & in many cases more. Full-time hands on experience of the chosen trade is required in addition to formal study. This work is extremely low paid. IN NZ apprentices must still pay towards their apprenticeships.
Training doesn't stop at the 4yar mark for many of the trades. Health and Safety is a huge issue and is also examined. That includes general first aid; Use of safety equipment; Contaminants ; bio hazards; Evacuation procedures etc.
A four year plus trained craftsmans trade qualifications are considered, both in the UK and NZ, to be of degree standard.
The trades are envolved in far far more than simply repair work to domestic dwellings or building new houses. Thats just the tiniest tip of the iceberg.
Both electricians and plumbers will keep a hospitals power flowing, its water safe. Be negligent in these areas and lives will be endangered.

As opposed to nurses who may fair better in New Zealand, employed tradesmen are undervalued for their skills .

All of the above deserve a fair wage for what they do & reasonable conditions in which to do it. Not one of the above jobs is more important than the other. All keep our lives safe and sound.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:51 pm
`

I have just re-read Sugos first post.

NO . NZ doesn't pay more fairly at all.

Sugo has complete understanding of what goes into the training and study of a nurse but has absolutely no idea at all about the training ,study or wide ranging scope of a tradesman
Both train and study to an equal level.

To state this....

Do you think this is unfair when in the UK nurses go to Uni and work to get a degree, we never stop learning and become practioners with with skills that improve peoples lives and even save lives but we are paid a great deal less than the nice guy who is skilled but comes around to fix your plugs in the house,
.. could be offensive to some. Understandably so.

Thats like saying that a nurse , although skilled , takes temperatures , checks pulses and knows how to give a bed bath but little else.

I'm sure Sugo didn't mean this. Its a post borne from ignorance of the facts & assumption.

Hopefully my previous post will have enlightened.

Sugo. You are deserving of opportunity and a fair wage wherever you choose to work. No two ways there.
There again, so is that tradesman.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apollo10
I have just re-read Sugos first post.

NO . NZ doesn't pay more fairly at all.

Sugo has complete understanding of what goes into the training and study of a nurse but has absolutely no idea at all about the training ,study or wide ranging scope of a tradesman
Both train and study to an equal level.

To state this....

.. could be offensive to some. Understandably so.

Thats like saying that a nurse , although skilled , takes temperatures , checks pulses and knows how to give a bed bath but little else.

I'm sure Sugo didn't mean this. Its a post borne from ignorance of the facts & assumption.

Hopefully my previous post will have enlightened.

Sugo. You are deserving of opportunity and a fair wage wherever you choose to work. No two ways there.
There again, so is that tradesman.
I think middle managers and politicians should be paid more than anyone because they need to be compensated for having to go through life as utter wxxnkers. It must be hard to be so universally hated by everyone. I think that anyone dumb enough to feel the calling to a vocation or stupid enough to spend so much time and effort getting qualified should not be paid at all. David Blunkett recently got his second golden handshake for simply being a crook and breaking the law. We are all in the wrong job. I'm going to go into Crime starting as an MP! Bollox to further study and training.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:30 pm
`

Aye. Yes we are Sega Mad.
One of my relations was so incensed about Blunkett , they phoned to tell us. We tohught they were pulling our legs.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:17 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem that this thread has resulted in some unpleasantness, so I think its better to close it.