Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Does this indicate a problem in the area

Does this indicate a problem in the area

Old Jul 23rd 2016, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Does this indicate a problem in the area

So just having a mooch on trade me as I like playing the game of anywhere but here and saw on a property listing for new Brighton.

Regular checks for methamphetamine contamination

Is this odd or does it indicate a major problem in the area.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does this indicate a problem in the area

Nah not really although you'd expect this sort of fun and games to be more prevalent in the lower socio-economic areas. The production of P/Meth etc can be found all across the country in many different classes of area and does tend to happen more often in properties that are rented out.
If you intend to buy a used home it is a good idea to get a test done as part of your pre-purchase checks as the cost to remedy a home that has been used to produce this stuff can costs $20k-$30k to put right.
If you intend to rent it is a good idea to ask the question whether the house has been tested and if not ask them to provide test results, although that may just mean the agent or landlord doesn't offer you the property.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I love this site would never occur to me to get a meth check in a house thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
That's why I love this site would never occur to me to get a meth check in a house thanks
Yeah me too. A sign of the times I expect.

We've never had a test done or asked for one to be done but we've been lucky knowing the history of the few houses we've rented.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:01 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It would get me thinking. Could be a sign of a problem or alternatively a good landlord doing all the right things (in which case it will probably have good insulation and heating etc). You would have to do your usual due diligence in checking the area.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:10 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup sounds like New Brighton.... We went there once.....
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably just the landlord being vigilant, as all rental properties regardless of the area have the potential to become a P-Lab. It's not unusual for people to find their rental property or holiday home has played host to some Breaking Bad inspired chemistry and home economics classes.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Ever seen the film Lost boys? Had a walk around at the weekend (haven't been there for a year), it gives me the same vibe. Feel sorry for the good people there trying to uplift the community, but too many vampires.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
So just having a mooch on trade me as I like playing the game of anywhere but here and saw on a property listing for new Brighton.

Regular checks for methamphetamine contamination

Is this odd or does it indicate a major problem in the area.
We were sold on New Brighton before we arrived in NZ (beach and cheap rentals), my OH couldn't wait to see it, so we went there on the third day of being here.

We decided against it, the town area is full of graffiti and it was affected quite badly by the EQ. Of an evening you hear a lot of big engine cruisers around the streets. If you ask the Kiwis they say it's rough.

On the subject of methamphetamine, it's a problem all over NZ. My OH had to have a medical before starting his job (despite us having medicals for immigration), and one of the tests was a urine sample for drugs (particularly methamphetamine - that's how much of an issue it is here).

I would steer away from New Brighton, the West side of Chch is nicer.