Do your research!

Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of
Post Do your research!

Hello guys,

I just had to post this story online as I couldn't believe it had happened. It just goes to show that at least some research is required before you make the decision to come all the way across to the other side of the world...

When my hubby got the job offer for Timaru, the guy that came over to interview him also offered a job to another guy from another part of the UK. They needed as many skilled people as possible. We got here in January and the other guy was due to land on the 1st March as it took him longer to get the visa. My hubby was looking forward to meeting another ex-pat that like us had never been to NZ before making the big move here on an full residency visa.

Pauls boss went to pick the family up from the airport and took him back to his house where his wife has prepared some food for them. He knew that the family would be suffering from jetlag so he didn't show them around he just took them back to thew flat that had been paid for and told them he would pick them up the next morning at 10.30am and show them around and answer questions etc.

The next day he went round at 10.30am and found them stood in the entrance hall with their suitcases and jackets on. They declared that after less than 24 hours they didn't like New Zealand and they wouldn't be staying! They had booked a taxi back to Christchurch airport and were having 2 weeks in Oz before going back to England. Pauls boss said to them that he would be happy for them to keep the flat for a week free of charge for them to at least give the place a chance but they refused. They said the place was too small and not what they expected as a city and they didn't like it.

Yes Timaru is a city but not that you would think it if you saw it. It is like my local village in Chesterfield but I am not being funny, we did our research and knew what we were coming to. I mean the population of the city is 27,000 people. Did they really expect something like Sydney? The pictures on the website do not mislead you. I love Timaru and it is everything I imagined from doing my research.

Don't get me wrong, I understand people go home and I respect that. We have only been here for just over 2 months but at least I can say we gave it a chance if we were to go home (not that we are). Why didn't the family try Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch before getting back on that aeroplane? We all know that the Residency Visas aren't cheap!

The moral of the story...if you want bright lights big city you need Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch and even they are nothing like UK cities. Do your research!!!! And at least give the place a chance!!!!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:46 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Do your research!

Bloody hell. That was rash of them. Twenty-four hours later and then they decide to leg it. Wow.

Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:54 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Karma for that, thanks for posting it! Yes research research and then more research. Do your leg/internet work, and do far more of it than you ever thought you'd need to do! Personally I felt prepared when we came here, and have not had any (that I can remember) huge surprises (yet?).

If I'd been that boss I would have been ****ing LIVID at the time and money wasted to bring someone over here to do a job. :curse:
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:04 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly can't believe they emigrated to NZ without knowing what the place they were going was like, I mean wanting a big city yet not even bothering to find out how many people lived there that's such basic stuff

Secondly to go through the whole immigration process, moving etc etc and then to not even give it a chance when they got there. Fair enough if they didn't like NZ after a few months but 24hours?? You've got to give anything a decent shot before giving up. Did they realise how many people would love to be in their shoes? Me for one!

I'm sitting here in amazement at that story, people can be very strange
Their boss must have been furious

Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the first time I've heard of this happening I'm afraid and definitely not just a Pommie thing.

It's probably my only peice of advice to anyone considering emmigrating to ANYWHERE in the world, particularly if they have children, is do your research, down to the minutest detail, such as what's the local paper like That way there are NO surprises
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=happynz;6028246]Bloody hell. That was rash of them. Twenty-four hours later and then they decide to leg it. Wow.

Rash? You are being way too kind, bloody stupid, unhinged, nutty..call it what you like but it is not the behaviour of rational, adjusted adults..even after the journey from the UK.......... the behaviour of kids more like throwing a tantrum. Now they will never know!!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
It's not the first time I've heard of this happening I'm afraid and definitely not just a Pommie thing.

It's probably my only peice of advice to anyone considering emmigrating to ANYWHERE in the world, particularly if they have children, is do your research, down to the minutest detail, such as what's the local paper like That way there are NO surprises
Actually, I'd go a step further, don't emmigrate to anywhere without getting out to the place and having a look around first with your own eyes, ears, smell etc, I think its really the only way to satisfy yourself that you can and want to live there
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I must, I must..........improve my bust!

Mrs Nice Guy employed an English lady.

The English lady landed on the day she was due to start work at 11 am.

The English lady stayed for less than 4 hours.

The English lady got a plane back to Blighty that evening.

Less than 12 hours in NZ, less than 4 hours in her new position.

Now there's staying power!!

NG
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:44 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul
Hello guys,

I just had to post this story online as I couldn't believe it had happened. It just goes to show that at least some research is required before you make the decision to come all the way across to the other side of the world...

When my hubby got the job offer for Timaru, the guy that came over to interview him also offered a job to another guy from another part of the UK. They needed as many skilled people as possible. We got here in January and the other guy was due to land on the 1st March as it took him longer to get the visa. My hubby was looking forward to meeting another ex-pat that like us had never been to NZ before making the big move here on an full residency visa.

Pauls boss went to pick the family up from the airport and took him back to his house where his wife has prepared some food for them. He knew that the family would be suffering from jetlag so he didn't show them around he just took them back to thew flat that had been paid for and told them he would pick them up the next morning at 10.30am and show them around and answer questions etc.

The next day he went round at 10.30am and found them stood in the entrance hall with their suitcases and jackets on. They declared that after less than 24 hours they didn't like New Zealand and they wouldn't be staying! They had booked a taxi back to Christchurch airport and were having 2 weeks in Oz before going back to England. Pauls boss said to them that he would be happy for them to keep the flat for a week free of charge for them to at least give the place a chance but they refused. They said the place was too small and not what they expected as a city and they didn't like it.

Yes Timaru is a city but not that you would think it if you saw it. It is like my local village in Chesterfield but I am not being funny, we did our research and knew what we were coming to. I mean the population of the city is 27,000 people. Did they really expect something like Sydney? The pictures on the website do not mislead you. I love Timaru and it is everything I imagined from doing my research.

Don't get me wrong, I understand people go home and I respect that. We have only been here for just over 2 months but at least I can say we gave it a chance if we were to go home (not that we are). Why didn't the family try Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch before getting back on that aeroplane? We all know that the Residency Visas aren't cheap!

The moral of the story...if you want bright lights big city you need Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch and even they are nothing like UK cities. Do your research!!!! And at least give the place a chance!!!!!!!
Well, they did get two weeks in Oz out of it
Old Mar 7th 2008, 12:57 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I must, I must..........improve my bust!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

Now there's staying power!!

NG
Weird!
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:00 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: I must, I must..........improve my bust!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

Jebus! Was there a problem with the biscuits at tea?

Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:02 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
Well, they did get two weeks in Oz out of it

Maybe that was their intention!

It certainly must put off NZ employers sponsoring from abroad...
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:11 am

Yep, could be; but the employer also got a trip to the UK out of it.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nerine
Yep, could be; but the employer also got a trip to the UK out of it.
The employer is originally from England, he has been in New Zealand for 30 years! He got to visit his Mum and Dad though, LOL, and it was perfect timing for him as it was when the floods were happening last year. At least he got one good employee out of it...not mentioning who that might be, lol

I think the people who came out thought it was going to be like Sydney and they couldnt get into Oz for whatever reason. Silly buggers! Still it was an expensive two weeks away with their residency visas and meds etc...
Old Mar 7th 2008, 2:16 am

Wasn't it just! There are cheaper ways to get a holiday .

First impressions are very important though, if still had a house back in the UK I'm 99% sure we'd have gone back within a week or two of arrival in Auckland (distinctly not impressed) We made it work but eventually hopped the ditch to Oz (which is what we were probably after all along) Sometimes people are wise to go with their gut instincts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.