Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you recline your seat in economy on aeroplanes?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you recline your seat.
Yes it is fine, you need to chill. i've paid for my flight i'm going to be comfy.
73.91%
No it is rude and inconsidrate on the person sat behind you
26.09%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Do you recline your seat in economy on aeroplanes?

Old May 16th 2007, 12:55 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you recline your seat in economy on aeroplanes?

What a bizarre thing. Yes to reclining - the seats are made that way. I have no problem not reclining on short flights on ryanair and the like (their seats don't recline), but a 26 hour flight, even with a short break, requires some sleep of sorts and reclining is the best way to try and get some of that. I have before now been a tad annoyed if the person in front reclines and I then can't see my TV screen, but he is perfectly within his rights to recline, so I simply recline too - and then I can see the screen again! No problem.

On every flight I've been on, the flight attendants always ask passengers to put their seats upright during mealtimes. So again, no problem there either.

And reclining the seat doesn't make less legroom for the person behind - less tummy room, yes, but not legroom.

The seats have a reclining button - use it!
Old May 16th 2007, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
hi
so paul kept tapping the back of his seat and put the blowers on to blow the cold air on his head, but the man never moved,
That was mature!
Old May 16th 2007, 1:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by KIRSTIE
some people only think of themselves and not those around them.
I do think of the others around me - I have no problem with them reclining their seats if they wish. It is their right.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:44 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry but your post is a bit of tosh...

for a start 6ft isnt exactly tall these days - my sisters 5'10 and my brothers almost 6'4 so 6ft isnt going to make me sympathetic.

secondly the passenger infront was totally within his rights to recline his seat - unless at meals service when you should always sit upright.

you have no right making his life a misery on that flight becuase what he was doing is allowed - you were just being obnoxious. I'd have complained about you for sure.

if you want more room - save harder and buy a PE or business class seat .... otherwise stop moaning and being so childish
Old May 16th 2007, 2:07 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

From the original post...

Originally Posted by Cava Fizz
THIS THREAD IS LIGHT HEARTED BTW,
Old May 16th 2007, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by happynz
From the original post...

this thread is lighthearted BTW

bollox - everythings a battle to the death
Old May 16th 2007, 2:12 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by islandmom
bollox - everything's a battle to the death
, then!
Old May 16th 2007, 2:19 am

, then!
back at ya with bells on
Old May 16th 2007, 3:19 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I figure if the seat has the ability to recline, why not use it? Especially on a long haul flight. I always put the seat upright again when they dish the food up and the trays themselves are adjustable so that you can still use them if the seat in front is reclined. I don't see the problem. It's not rude or mean to the person behind; it's using the seat exactly as it was designed to be used - for comfort and space!
^^ Co-sign.

Uh-huh. While you recline enjoying your comfort and space some poor slob like me will spend the rest of the flight with his knees crammed up under his chin.

Have a nice flight.
What's stopping you from using the recline feature too?

Embo

you seem like a considerate recliner

still not on IMO,

I think the problem is as mentioned above there is no etiquette for this thing, embo sees it as fine but it makes my blood boil. [i do feel better for talking about it however]

I'm sure Embo is a fine person aswell just he is seeing a different rainbow.

Who is that lag in USA who use to write all cookery/house keeping books? I might ask her advice.
Are you petitioning the airlines to get the recline feature removed?

Originally Posted by Paladin
Definitely recline for sleeping - christ its uncomfortable enough without trying to sleep bolt upright. Of course at meal times there's no reclining. For watching movies I go for the partial recline for comfort!

And as for anyone behind me, well, tough shit, I paid for my reclining seat so get over it! If you don't like it, stop being so tight and pay for business class and if you can't afford that, then get a 2nd job and sort ya life out and stop whinging! Besides with a tiddly one requiring a bassinette for sleeping in we're on bulkhead seats so no numpty can recline in front of me - HA!

Dave

Old May 16th 2007, 3:44 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

gees guys - chill!
Old May 16th 2007, 8:21 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Cava Fizz;4785941]After reading the thread before about airline carriers it got me thinking about what i like and what I hate about planes.

/QUOTE]

Sorry, can't answer the poll as neither defines what I consider I do.

Yes I recline the seat, usually only to sleep. Never ever ever at meal times and when I'm not in the seat. And whilst I know it's everyone's 'right' to do so, inconsiderate reclining pisses me off sometimes. As would any other inconsiderate behaviour in a small confined place - continuous kicking of seat back by small child not told of by their parents , smoking in the 'old' days etc.

BUT I also feel guilty about doing so, which pisses me off too! But usually only for the first few minutes. :embaressed_smile:

Planes - love em and hate em.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:24 am

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Yes. Logical and female. Thanks
Yes, it was a bloody good post. I'm glad HappyNZ responded well.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mazi

And reclining the seat doesn't make less legroom for the person behind - less tummy room, yes, but not legroom.
I agree - very good point.
Old May 16th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

mojos has a spectacular aura aboutmojos has a spectacular aura aboutmojos has a spectacular aura about

I do recline my seat and don't mind the person in front doing it either as long as they keep still !

On the way home from Fuerteventura I had a nightmare woman sitting in front of me. She reclined her seat as soon as and wouldn't keep still. A real fidget arse ! She was asleep (or pretending to be) during the meal when I asked her to pull up her seat. Didn't fancy it slopping over me when she suddenly moved.

Jo
Old May 17th 2007, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

After reading the thread before about airline carriers it got me thinking about what i like and what I hate about planes.

What drives me apolpletic are people who recline their seat, when they no you are sat behind them. They haven't got enough room you haven't got enough room. But ***** you, I'm alright Jack! i will/have recline/d my seat.

Really this does drive me mad I once nearly [not exaggerating] had air rage of it when someone did it as far as it could go and then started moaning when the seward asked them to move it forward for me mum so she could eat her dinner.

What I would like to see is a democratic vote the steward does just after they do the safety info. Does a quick show of hands either:

Everyone reclines
or
Nobody reclines.

I would rather do MAN-AKL wiht Janet Street Porter and Jade Goody either side, than have to put up with the above.

Don't even get me started on people who use personal noise machines or cannot control their bladders.

Topic for new thread perhaps, most annoying famous flight partners?

THIS THREAD IS LIGHT HEARTED BTW,
Ye s I recline my seat...but only when the person behind has finished their food and has reclined theirs too. I can't bear it when the person in front reclines their seat when the food is being served on a long haul flight in "cattle" class.

The worst passenger I have shared with was a lady who vomitted immediately after take off and was sitting on the inside seat from me. She then kindly handed me the bag of warm Vom to pass to the flight attendant. Bad enough! But she then did this another 5 times during the 3 hour flight. YUK YUK YUK!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.