Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Do you have central heating?

Do you have central heating?

Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:44 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have central heating?

Originally Posted by Boopy
The best thing that we shipped over, was our waterbed. Oooooooooooh! lovely and warm all the time. The thermostat means heat control, up in the winter and down for summer. I don't need the hot water bottles now, don't even need the socks for bed.

Water bed - kinky!!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 11:38 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

These posts are music to my ears. If your house is cold, sort it out - well done folks. We've got a woodburner and an oil heater thingy in our bedroom and the house is very rarely cold. We've got a dehumidifier too and never have condensation. Yes, sometimes it would be nice to flick a switch and have instant heat but we too are not used to central heating - I've only lived with it for about 6 of my 45 years so don't really miss it and we always used to turn off the radiator in the sitting room and light the fire anyway. Different strokes etc.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 8:37 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in the Uk once I had my own house I lived in a tenement in Glasgow with no central heating and no double glazing - I never even thought about it. The next house I lived in was with my husband in Glasgow again - central heating this time ( that I kept turning off) but still no double glazing ( some areas in Glasgow are conservation areas and the buildings are listed - you're not allowed to put in double glazing, but we never needed it)

We're here now and live in a kauri cottage with - yes you've guessed it - no central heating and no double glazing!

We have a huge wood burning stove and the previous owner did a brilliant thing - he ran small antique radiators off the stove - the hot water doesn't go to waste and our house is pretty toasty actually.
On the chillier days we have run a dehumidifier in our bedroom and it makes a huge difference. But to be honest we didnt come here to worry about a cold house - and whats wrong with a fleece anyway!

My husband jokes that we do have central heating at a flick of a switch anyway - once we have chopped the wood and waited an hour for the water to heat up "we flick a switch" and the 'heating" comes on in the radiators!!