Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

DIY or Migration company ?

DIY or Migration company ?

Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice
Default DIY or Migration company ?

Were so unsure of the route to take, migration company or diy. I do have a job offer. Weve had prices from companys for £1500 + fees. Is it easy to diy? What order do we do things in? Can anyone recommend a company and at what cost? Are they worth it?
Old Jul 31st 2005, 7:42 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DIY or Migration company ?

Originally Posted by Loxley
Were so unsure of the route to take, migration company or diy. I do have a job offer. Weve had prices from companys for £1500 + fees. Is it easy to diy? What order do we do things in? Can anyone recommend a company and at what cost? Are they worth it?
If your job offer is on the shortages list you are going to be a top priority so I'd say save your money. The whole process is quite straightforward and any questions you've got can be answered on this forum anyway.

Before we started the process we paid a visit to NZIS in London. They will have a quick look at your circumstances and job offer and give you good, solid advice on how best to apply.

Whether you feel you need help on the actual settling into NZ and the migration companies can offer you this is a different matter, that would be something only you would know. But for the actual paperwork I would say do it yourself, you'll be the first to know any news that way, and have more control over it. £1500 is a lot of money on top of the c.£2000 you're going to spend on the application process anyway.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

Sounds like you could be right. My job is a plumber, so no problems there. I assume that the EOA is first then I guess that I will be informed of the next requirements on the way and in what order to do them.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 8:36 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like you could be right. My job is a plumber, so no problems there. I assume that the EOA is first then I guess that I will be informed of the next requirements on the way and in what order to do them.
If you go to this link: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ there's loads of info on there. You need to register to fill in an EOI online, and you can save your EOI and come back to it as many times as you want before submitting it. If you go through the points indicator link (left hand side of the screen on the above link) it will show you how many points your EOI will have, if it's 100 or more you are eligible to apply. It's also cheaper to do your EOI online.

Once that's been submitted and assessed you will get an ITA (Invitation to Apply) through the post, you check all the info on that, provide all the evidence needed (police certificates, medicals, previous work experience, job offer etc - they send you a list) and submit that. Then hopefully you should hear very soon, as you have a job, and you'll be booking your flights!

Sounds easy doesn't it? :scared: But you'll be needing some of these

Good luck, any queries on anything just shout, someone on here will have the answer!
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:25 am

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

DIY DIY DIY!!!

There is NOTHING that ona and a half thousand quid will buy you that can't be found either at www.immigration.govt.nz or online here

The paperwork is VERY straightforward and easy to understand - and the immigration staff are very friendly (even though it IS cheaper to phone NZ than NZIS in London!!! a quid a minute IIRC :scared: )

Of course, if you are handy to London, or are visiting ther esoon - pop into the NZ High Commision - there's also a "kiwiana' shop on the ground floor at the back - where you can sample some great NZ things (like L&P and Burger Rings)

GOOD LUCK!

Steve

Old Jul 31st 2005, 12:53 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Loxley

As others have said, it is a very straight forward process and there is a great deal of advice and info on the NZIS website to help you complete your EOI and anything you get stuck with just ask on here - there will usually be someone around who can help you out and all for free too!!! Good luck...and welcome to the forum...
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Hi Loxley

As others have said, it is a very straight forward process and there is a great deal of advice and info on the NZIS website to help you complete your EOI and anything you get stuck with just ask on here - there will usually be someone around who can help you out and all for free too!!! Good luck...and welcome to the forum...
seems to me like migration companies are chrging alot of money for a straight forward piece of diy i found the application quite straight forward the NZIS will point u in the right direction and if u u mess up or miss something out they will get in touch and you can put it right better than spending 1500 quid (along with the 2000 quid it costs a typical family of 4 just to apply)
Old Jul 31st 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Seems that my minds been made up, thanks for the advice, superb freindly forum. No doubt I'll be calling on you all again soon.