Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Disappointedly Yours ...

Disappointedly Yours ...

Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:09 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Disappointedly Yours ...

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Would reccomend Tongariro crossing, I did it with my friend a couple of years ago and it was brilliant, being scared of heights too I will just say DON'T look over the edge at the top!! I got my tat done in Palmy too. Guess NZ just has that sort of effect, eh? So...next..bungy jump off the Auckland Harbour bridge (or somewhere nearer)? Jet boat? Flying Fox? Horse ride along the beach? Whatever you decide I hope you have fun
Thank you everyone.

I say I'm terrified of heights and you come up with bungy jumping and flying fox! I just don't think I can do that! I thought about the horse riding along the beach last night. Did I mention I'm scared of horses too?! But I think I could do that one. My daughter did it 2 years ago so I reckon it's something the whole family could do! Excellent. My friend did the jet boat and fell out of it - scary ...

Keep your ideas coming.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by MnB
Hey 3 score years + 10...........and life begins at 40!! so you go for it!!! I think you def get a different outlook on life when you reach this milestone, great to hear yours is so positive!!!
Best wishes for the big day & big hugs!
B x
Thanks. I'm turning 39 so want to spend the last year of my 30's doing things before I turn 40! So the following year I can lie down on the sofa again!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:30 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thanks. I'm turning 39 so want to spend the last year of my 30's doing things before I turn 40! So the following year I can lie down on the sofa again!
ops ...misunderstood
big hugs and best wishes for 3 score yrs + 9!!!
B x
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

How about 39 'firsts' and you spend the next 12 months ticking them off the list.

They can be really silly things, like skinny dipping ( although knowing you, you probably have done that several times!!!) or taking up a hobby, just for you( like wine tasting)

I dunno really, but I can completely understand your thinking. I think we all give so much of ourselves in getting here and settling everyone else, that we forget about us, and then you wake up one day and realise we need to give ourselves a boot up the a***se and start living again

Have fun doing it and I can't wait to see the pics

Sarah x
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone.

I say I'm terrified of heights and you come up with bungy jumping and flying fox! I just don't think I can do that! I thought about the horse riding along the beach last night. Did I mention I'm scared of horses too?! But I think I could do that one. My daughter did it 2 years ago so I reckon it's something the whole family could do! Excellent. My friend did the jet boat and fell out of it - scary ...

Keep your ideas coming.
well I was gonna suggest bungee jumping but as you are wary of heights thats that ruled out ........... but you could just close your eyes and fall !!!. Its not that scary OR you could do the new nevis swing .......... that looks sooo cool

We have been here almost 2 years now and I am happy to say we have did quite a lot in this time, did the obvious bungee's been to west coast to the glaciers been to top of north island to cape regina and as far south as Dunedin as well as seeing a few all blacks games and local rugby as well, Crusaders, so I think we have done not too bad for 2 years with a 4 year old.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:10 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Tongariro crossing's a good one because it's so NZ and for all but the super fit a real challenge. What about swimming with dolphins, caving at Waitomo ( heaps of options there from abseiling, tubing- all sorts), seeing something you've not seen before like Opera or ballet. Taking up a hobby that is unrelated to kids and home- painting or salsa or something or learning to surf!

40's pretty special I think- most over 40s I meet declare their life as starting at 40
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Go gliding! Most gliding clubs do trial flights for a very reasonable cost and it's a real experience - very different to power flying.
True, good fun .
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by P2L
How about 39 'firsts' and you spend the next 12 months ticking them off the list.
They can be really silly things, like skinny dipping ( although knowing you, you probably have done that several times!!!) or taking up a hobby, just for you( like wine tasting)
Sarah x
Love the idea of "39 Firsts" As you say it doesn't need to be something huge every time. Thanks Hun!

alanmacc you have been busy! Very impressive with a 4 year old, but I sometimes think that can be easier. We've got 4 kids and there's 10 years between the eldest and youngest, what a 6 year old fancies is somewhat different to the 16 year old! But you have give me 2 good ideas - an All Blacks game and Cape Reinga. Thank you!

bourbon-biscuit - we think alike, I thought of the dolphin watching/swimming when I was out walking the dog - in training for the half marathon!

These are excellent, thank you all so much.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Love the idea of "39 Firsts" As you say it doesn't need to be something huge every time. Thanks Hun!

alanmacc you have been busy! Very impressive with a 4 year old, but I sometimes think that can be easier. We've got 4 kids and there's 10 years between the eldest and youngest, what a 6 year old fancies is somewhat different to the 16 year old! But you have give me 2 good ideas - an All Blacks game and Cape Reinga. Thank you!

bourbon-biscuit - we think alike, I thought of the dolphin watching/swimming when I was out walking the dog - in training for the half marathon!

These are excellent, thank you all so much.
I notice you omitted to respond to the query about skinny dipping

If you're prepared to give a helicopter ride a go, then seriously consider gliding afterwards. It is the most fantastic feeling in the world, the peace is amazing and strangely once you're floating on those thermals, you don't worry about the lack of engine.

I suppose a skydive is out of the question? That's a fantastic experience as well
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Been on the Huka Jet twice & stayed in both times . It's great fun AL, give it a go. My friend did a tandem skydive in Taupo when she was on holiday in NZ in Feb. She has a list of things to do before she's 50 next year. I don't do heights so declined but I sort of regret it now .

Did you ever get that pink kayak?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone.

Keep your ideas coming.
No seriously I fall over just looking at someone else on a cliff or ladder but Tongariro is so cool, just got my friend to hold my hand and kept telling complete strangers to come away from the edge.... flying fox and indeed parachute jumping is somehow ok because you're attached to something or someone. And I'm older than you!!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Possum hunting?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:16 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

How about Helicopter flight over Bay of Islands, up to Cape Reinga and back down 90mile beach ?..... awesome!
B x
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:03 am

No to sky diving ...

Will only contemplate the helicopter flight to White Island as I know the pilot and a) he's devastatingly attractive and b) he'll play nicely as he knows I'm terrified!

Gliding - no engine - no thanks! I'm all for embracing new activities, but I don't want to delight my Hubby by actually dying whilst doing them!

Funny you should say possum hunting as I was thinking something along those lines, but have settled on surf casting at dawn instead - again I have an experienced friend who can take me along as I wouldn't have a clue!
Have also added, courtesy of Marika38 (an old poster from here), travelling to the place near Gisbourne that is the first to see the sun rise each morning and watching that!

So now adding some cheap/free extras as "39 Firsts" is a lot to come up with! Thus far I only have 16 ...
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in Auckland, go for a sail in one of the retired America's cup yachts - an exhilarating ride and excellent way to see the harbour.
Attached Thumbnails Disappointedly Yours ...-img_0913-large-.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.