Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did you get a Long Term Business Visa?

Did you get a Long Term Business Visa?

Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you get a Long Term Business Visa?

Sorry but I'm after picking brains again. NZIS website says that for a LTBV you have to have had relevant business history, but doesn't mention anywhere how much or how long or at what level.
OH ran his own plumbing business for a short while, but because of the downturn here the market was flooded (no pun intended) with plumbers and he took a totally different job with the local Council.
Thoughts? Please?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you get a Long Term Business Visa?

We looked into a LTBV but hopefully have managed without it. You have to either have run your own business, or been in a position where you can show you could do it. Your OH obviously has so there should be no problem there as long as he can prove it etc. There is loads of paperwork to fill out for a business visa including business plan etc and forecasts. You can either buy an established business (only need 25% of it to quality) or you could start your own.

Personally think with the downturn in NZ etc if you could get over any other way it would probably make more sense, but if this is the only option - go for it.

There are quite a few other threads on this topic which might be of help. You also need a certain amount of $ not only for buying the business but also to support yourself for the 3 years. Sure this was mentioned in one of the threads as I am unsure of the actual amount.

Good luck!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
We looked into a LTBV but hopefully have managed without it. You have to either have run your own business, or been in a position where you can show you could do it. Your OH obviously has so there should be no problem there as long as he can prove it etc. There is loads of paperwork to fill out for a business visa including business plan etc and forecasts. You can either buy an established business (only need 25% of it to quality) or you could start your own.

Personally think with the downturn in NZ etc if you could get over any other way it would probably make more sense, but if this is the only option - go for it.

There are quite a few other threads on this topic which might be of help. You also need a certain amount of $ not only for buying the business but also to support yourself for the 3 years. Sure this was mentioned in one of the threads as I am unsure of the actual amount.

Good luck!
Thank you, will have a hunt around. Was hoping to do the SMC as a Primary Teacher but that's a no go I think as off ISSL
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately as you say Primary School teacher is off the ISSL and even if you did manage to secure a position, you wouldnt get PR or a visa from it as the labour market test would show there were people already in NZ who could do it.

There are heaps of NZ businesses for sale particularly on Trade Me and several other sites - but be careful as most are only for sale due to the downturn and they only want to get rid. Suggest if this is your ideal way of going, perhaps concentrate on ones which are for sale either due to relocation or retirement as they should be more stable (hopefully).

My husband has secured a job as a Baker which came onto the ISSL list in July (been out of the trade for 11 years), but still managed to get a good job. We are also in Devon too!
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Unfortunately as you say Primary School teacher is off the ISSL and even if you did manage to secure a position, you wouldnt get PR or a visa from it as the labour market test would show there were people already in NZ who could do it.
There are heaps of NZ businesses for sale particularly on Trade Me and several other sites - but be careful as most are only for sale due to the downturn and they only want to get rid. Suggest if this is your ideal way of going, perhaps concentrate on ones which are for sale either due to relocation or retirement as they should be more stable (hopefully).
My husband has secured a job as a Baker which came onto the ISSL list in July (been out of the trade for 11 years), but still managed to get a good job. We are also in Devon too!
Thank you, good luck
Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Harlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really niceHarlow is just really nice

I came here on a LTBV in 1986, to run a motel/large B&B, having previously owned and operated a B&B in Wales for four years and some other business experience. The way I understood it is that you need to make as good of a case as possible to convince whoever reviews your case that -
(a) you know what you are doing, and have relevant experience.
(b) You are going to be of benefit to NZ - Ideally by employing locals.
(c) You have the finances to do what you are setting out to do.
I would advise you submit a business plan, as detailed as possible, even if it is difficult to come up with any figures. If you were going to do a plumbing business, I would find (I know a plumber here that may agree to offer help if needed) and locate existing plumbers to ask for assistance, you'd be amazed at how helpful people can be if you ask, then you can base your figures on an actual existing model and just get to grips with some local knowledge.
Should you be granted a visa, you have a certain amount of time to get to NZ and set up and start operating before your visa runs out - We didn't realise this and panicked before buying the lease on a motel with little time left. You then need to operate the business for two years before you can apply for residency, which involves submitting more paperwork (and medicals again), to prove that you have done what you set out to do , and have benefitted NZ by being here.
In a nutshell, prepare as much relevant paperwork as possible, the onus is on you to prove that NZ is right to take a chance on you.
Hope that helps, send me a message if I can help further.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Harlow
I came here on a LTBV in 1986, to run a motel/large B&B, having previously owned and operated a B&B in Wales for four years and some other business experience. The way I understood it is that you need to make as good of a case as possible to convince whoever reviews your case that -
(a) you know what you are doing, and have relevant experience.
(b) You are going to be of benefit to NZ - Ideally by employing locals.
(c) You have the finances to do what you are setting out to do.
I would advise you submit a business plan, as detailed as possible, even if it is difficult to come up with any figures. If you were going to do a plumbing business, I would find (I know a plumber here that may agree to offer help if needed) and locate existing plumbers to ask for assistance, you'd be amazed at how helpful people can be if you ask, then you can base your figures on an actual existing model and just get to grips with some local knowledge.
Should you be granted a visa, you have a certain amount of time to get to NZ and set up and start operating before your visa runs out - We didn't realise this and panicked before buying the lease on a motel with little time left. You then need to operate the business for two years before you can apply for residency, which involves submitting more paperwork (and medicals again), to prove that you have done what you set out to do , and have benefitted NZ by being here.
In a nutshell, prepare as much relevant paperwork as possible, the onus is on you to prove that NZ is right to take a chance on you.
Hope that helps, send me a message if I can help further.
Thank you Harlow, these visas seem few and far between