Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

did you already know?

did you already know?

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did you already know?

I've never been on a long haul flight - my longest was florida. I think i would need sleeping pills!

I know for a fact that none of my friends would visit, well maybe my best froiend and her OH since her oh is one of daves best friends too.

My mum would but it would take a long time for her to save. I think if you make sacrifices though its doable. My aunt goes to australia every year but isnt that well off either, just doesnt smoke or drink etc so that saves a bit.

My mums a smokey joe so she'd need to cut down to afford it lol
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:07 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
I've never been on a long haul flight - my longest was florida. I think i would need sleeping pills!

I know for a fact that none of my friends would visit, well maybe my best froiend and her OH since her oh is one of daves best friends too.

My mum would but it would take a long time for her to save. I think if you make sacrifices though its doable. My aunt goes to australia every year but isnt that well off either, just doesnt smoke or drink etc so that saves a bit.

My mums a smokey joe so she'd need to cut down to afford it lol
Long haul flight's aren't too bad. Even if you can't sleep, quite a lot of time passes in a sort of in between state.

You probably know this but it is much cheaper to fly to NZ from UK than the other way round. If Mum smokes a lot, she'd need to know that she will be going without a fag for about 26 hours or so.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Lol the thought fills her with horror! She does want to smoke though and keeps trying so maybe it would be a good incentive. Wishful thinking!

Yeah its definitely cheaper this way around. Im under 26 so with sta travel you apparently get a discount, i dont know if it works in new zealand though? I had a play around with the flights but it kept breaking. Me and technology dont mix well!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all

Here is an article for you to have a look at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...ive-Yeah-right

He raises some interesting points especially the working conditions which I totally agree with.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi
Here is an article for you to have a look at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...ive-Yeah-right

He raises some interesting points especially the working conditions which I totally agree with.

thanks. I read some of the comments below. some were saying it might be a Auckland thing . what do you think?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think that this could be a migrant talking about London, Auckland isn't really NZ, just like London isn't really the UK.

It reeks of a man who isn't willing to get involved in his surroundings, environment and community and therefore doesn't benefit from them in return.

I love it when people say "I've lived here, there, everywhere and I've visited the moon", as if it gives their derison some creedence.

For me, having never lived in New Zealand I've seen and know about literally all he complains about. None of his opinon is new to me, heard it before. I'm still giving NZ a go to see for myself.

Reads as if the article might have been written specifically to get a reaction.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 23rd 2013 at 2:09 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I think that this could be a migrant talking about London, Auckland isn't really NZ, just like London isn't really the UK.

It reeks of a man who isn't willing to get involved in his surroundings, environment and community and therefore doesn't benefit from them in return.

I love it when people say "I've lived here, there, everywhere and I've visited the moon", as if it gives their derison some creedence.

For me, having never lived in New Zealand I've seen and know about literally all he complains about. None of his opinon is new to me, heard it before. I'm still giving NZ a go to see for myself.

Reads as if the article might have been written specifically to get a reaction.

I try keep a open mind about these things but that's the way I read it as well .

I think he was looking for a reaction . I have heard other people saying about pollution etc so it's a good thing to discuss

I wouldn't let one area put me off moving . I definitely want to visit Auckland but probably won't live there. by the sounds of it doubt we could afford to!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:32 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

If it is so bad, why did he stay there for 10 years?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Synky
If it is so bad, why did he stay there for 10 years?
That seems to be what everyones asking in the comment section.

I just couldnt stay that long somewhere that i really disliked.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

I think asking why someone has stayed is rather missing the point of the article. I recognise pretty much everything said as true, the long gone clean, green kiwi myth and the friendliness (or lack thereof) of kiwis. I can't really identify with the bit about kids as that was one reason for moving here and my kids have had a good childhood, but then we are white and relatively middle class.
What seems to be a problem for many people is the dichotomy that NZ creates for many migrants. There is much that is good, much that is preferable to being in the UK, or wherever. But it is not Utopia. Criticism seems taboo among many, and so we get the "if you don't like it, go somewhere else" comment lazily trotted out for the umpteenth time. The criticisms about infrastructure, or poorly insulated homes, crime statistics or ecological myths are not unfair, especially when considered against the way NZ can be portrayed in the media, by kiwis or 'born again, evangelical migrants'.
I like New Zealand but there is, as in many other countries, a lot that is not so good, pretending otherwise is a bit silly. It seems that pouring money and or skill in to the economy and taking up citizenship still does not give you the right to criticise, that's reserved only for kiwis. Very precious.
But even if you don't buy that, there is one other factor to consider which is that perhaps for the writer, circumstances are such that moving is not a viable option right now. All sorts of reasons might dictate that, career and job prospects, the way a partner feels, the age of children.
To me the writer is letting off steam, as well as challenging the attitude that says no-one is allowed to criticise NZ.
If everything is wonderful in your migrant bubble then that is great, don't read the moaning articles and posts or listen to those whining around the water cooler, go for a walk on the beach, in the woods, take your boat out or visit your friends and have a yak about whinging poms.
Move along, nothing to see here.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Karma for a great post AndyEvs. I wish I had written it for it is exactly my thoughts on how it is here (NZ) after 8+ years of being here.

Now maybe I better go read whatever is in the link.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Good post andyeves. Agree with your points. We have been here for several years, but that doesn't mean we're here for good. In fact, when I'm away for a while and return here, that's when I become more dissatisified with the place , becasue I have experience how better life can be elsewhere.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

If we move im not sure it would be a permanent move either, probably just a few years to try it out. It's somewhere id like to try but its not been a lifetime dream like it is for other people.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:14 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
If we move im not sure it would be a permanent move either, probably just a few years to try it out. It's somewhere id like to try but its not been a lifetime dream like it is for other people.
With hindsight I was never permanently in the UK either as we have moved abroad twice :-)

I view everything as temporary, somethings are just temporary for longer...
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:18 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

He just seemed so unhappy and would be doing my best to come back. The article did not seem to suggest that was the case or he was having problems leaving so then I think you are moaning for the sake of it rather than being constructive.

Of course I can only go on what was said, there is more than likely a lot more going on we don't know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.