Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

did you already know?

did you already know?

Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default did you already know?

this is maybe a stupid topic but noticed a few of us were shocked at price of wallpaper etc. I knew paint was expensive over that side of the world but didn't expect wallpaper to cost that! there are other expensive things obviously - feel free to add a list

so basically I'm asking were there things that ended up more expensive than you realised before you moved or did you find most of it in the research?

we can't move anywhere till nearer the end of year so doing more research before OH applies for any jobs again, trying to decide wether the move would be worth it and if we could even afford the cost of living

thought maybe this thread might stop newer members from any shocks, I noticed someone was shocked about some houses having no heating
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: did you already know?

Tights. For one thing, 40 denier and other are called pantyhose, everything else is tights. Very expensive, considering I used to get multipacks from M&S. I tend to wait for the Farmers sale now, and get my mum to send me some when they're on sale in the UK.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Nick Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty well everything is more expensive here other than transport. There are various cost of living comparison sites including one on the NZ immigration dept website. I would say groceries are 20-30% more expensive than UK.

Also the range of goods on sale is quite restricted. It's a question of weighing up these factors against the undoubted upsides of being here.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

cheers guys
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:17 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

I saw council tax is cheaper though
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Synky
I saw council tax is cheaper though
well there's a plus lol
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:30 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Underwear, traveling, sheds and fencing, building work, caravans, furniture, almost everything!!!

Apart from eating out, wine and sunshine, and lovely views
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

depends where you live in Wellington it includes water
I had a larger house in Wellington to the one I had in Auckland by 30% and the rates were $200 cheaper pa in Wellington and they included water which is a further $250

eating out in Cafes is cheaper, electronic goods ie ipod, Tv's etc are cheaper but very little choice you are almost forced down the apple route.
Cinema is cheaper and as of yet I have not gone to a film that has been full.

Petrol is way cheaper $2.00 unleaded Diseal is not easy to compare as you pay an additional tax
Car hire is expensive as are decent hotels!
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

furniture etc - am I right in saying there would be a big 2nd hand market for that? I've saw trade me being mentioned and checked it out a few times

travel - I've forgot the website name sorry but it was a groupon type of thing - cheaper deals on hotels in both islands. do many use those kind of things for weekend breaks?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think most people already know about books, but here goes anyway with a random pick for those that don't:

Jamie Oliver's new one - 15 Minute Meals

£11.99 in WHSmiths
£12.00 from Amazon + £8.48 postage

$49.99 in Whitcoulls
$45.00 in The Warehouse
$39.90 The Book Depository (Free post)
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of out of season vegetables, limited choice etc etc. Capsicums Standard complaint iv noticed

Groupon, Grab One, Treat Me are all daily deal websites here. There are others too. Deal Shrimp gives a summary of the lot to save checking them all out separately.

I swear by these sites. Iv got really stingy compared to how i was in the UK and couldn't imagine going out paying full price for a restaurant meal now.

In the past few weeks we have had
a half day snorkelling tour around Wellington
Friday night sailing and a drink at the yacht club
A scuba dive refresher course
Motorbike learners license skills course
And plenty of dinner and drinks offers around Wellington

All really cheap

We spent Christmas in Queenstown and kept looking in advance of the trip for activities, meal and drink deals for when there too.
Horse riding, Skyline dinner, jet boating, drinks etc.

Some offers are better than others so you have to pick and choose. I wouldn't buy any "products" like bed sets, kitchen equipment etc but the experiences are a good and cheap way to get out and about.

A lot of times i think Everything sounds more expensive just because of the exchange rate. i still cant help halving the number to try and work out the UK cost.

You could easily spend over the odds for stuff if your content to walk in to any old shop without a bit or research, Especially for big expensive purchases. Same would be true in the UK though.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
travel - I've forgot the website name sorry but it was a groupon type of thing - cheaper deals on hotels in both islands. do many use those kind of things for weekend breaks?

There is http://www.wotif.com/

I have been looking at the possibility of a short break this long weekend, honestly its looking like a no-go to find somewhere where we want to go where we haven't already been. i.e. anywhere within a three hour car journey from Auckland

We're talking $180 to $200+ a night (bearing in mind this is last minute.com stuff) for the usual shabby looking motels and gaffs where you're self catering and taking your own sexy frying pan and eggs to make your own sodding breakfast.

Probably can get an apartment or a Novotel type place in any of the cities for a lot less though, but of course have to add the cost of flights getting there. I can't do Rotorua agaain!!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 6:38 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Went to Auckland this weekend just gone. We stayed in a cheap ($115 per night, that's about 57.50 GBP) motel in Browns Bay (yes, they do exist !). OK, the motel was so bad it was good but we've actually stayed in worse places. We went to see Elvis Costello at the Civic in Auckland as the venue had changed from Villa Maria Winery.

We called in on my husbands relatives that live in Auckland. We stopped in Taupo on the way back to Wanganui. That was another motel but cost more and was a bit better. We ate at Dixie Browns which does nice steak. Which we ate while watching the sun set over lake Taupo. They also do dessert cocktails ! We went along to Goodfellows bar for a nightcap. What a great way to decompress after an Auckland & in-laws visit.

Breakfast the following morning was at Friends Café, great omelettes !
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
the motel was so bad it was good but we've actually stayed in worse places.
Ha! You've just reminded me of a motel I stayed at in Blenheim - I sat down on the couch with my Dad to share a beer whilst watching some Cricket, I went to put my beer on the table to my right and I noticed a cheeky pile of toenails perched on the arm rest!!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Have to chip in as, unexpectedly I'm back in the UK right now.
Have been in NZ since 2004 and have absolutely no doubt that prices here are not only higher in general but if you do some simple maths take a greater percentage of your earnings even when the price is cheaper.
It's true that from a 'green' perspective being able to get fruit and veg all year round in UK supermarkets is not a good thing but I certainly dispute any suggestion that the quality is not as good as NZ as I have heard as one explanation for the higher prices.
Transport is often cited as more expensive in the UK and petrol is certainly more expensive. Not living in Auckland or Wellington I can't really compare public transport costs but we will be heading back to London from the West Country on a coach (3-4hour trip) for £15 per person which seems reasonable to me.
As a bit of a gadget collector I'd have to dispute any suggestion that things such as iPods are cheaper in NZ. My son is currently pricing up an ipad mini (he's been saving his paper round money!) and here's what he has found
16Gb
USA $329 (NZD $391)
UK £269 (NZD $506)
NZ $479
I don't think you can argue with that. If he buys here he can claim some VAT back which will make it cheaper, but we are stopping for 3 days in the US so maybe he will get it there.
Don't get me started on books or furniture or I will never stop my pointless ranting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.