Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Did you all take plenty of savings?

Did you all take plenty of savings?

Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

paddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nicepaddyandshell is just really nice
Default Did you all take plenty of savings?

Hi peeps
Did you all take loads of cash with you? or do you have plenty of savings stashed away for that rainy day.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:16 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you all take plenty of savings?

Originally Posted by paddyandshell
Hi peeps
Did you all take loads of cash with you? or do you have plenty of savings stashed away for that rainy day.
What is this strange thing you speak of called "savings"?

(ours all got dumped into the house, great investment it is, too )
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Leave some in the UK for a "just in case fund" you never know what is round the corner, i.e death etc !!!!!!!!!!!!! (flying back)
Sorry about that but its true
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

darlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Leave some in the UK for a "just in case fund" you never know what is round the corner, i.e death etc !!!!!!!!!!!!! (flying back)
Sorry about that but its true
how much would be a min amount to travel with and how much is a good amount to save
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darlo_tony
how much would be a min amount to travel with and how much is a good amount to save

We took all but £10k, which we left in the UK.

How long are you looking to travel in NZ for?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

And how long is a piece of string?

Come on, it's horses for courses, ie your needs are different to mine. Nobody can give you figures.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

darlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nicedarlo_tony is just really nice

Originally Posted by cappuccino
And how long is a piece of string?

Come on, it's horses for courses, ie your needs are different to mine. Nobody can give you figures.
sorry I appreciate that, all I was getting at was am I being realistic to sell up and move whole family to a new country with £30k?
i am 37 partner 39 and two young children (7 & 11 )
she is a english teacher
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you all take plenty of savings?

Improbable to say, a 'looks impressive' figure but it will get eaten up rather rapidly, then you will be earning Kiwi $.............

If you do decide to do it, save as much as you possibly can before you go, ensure at least one of you has a job to go to and decide where you want to live.

Once the savings have gone...............
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

sorry I appreciate that, all I was getting at was am I being realistic to sell up and move whole family to a new country with £30k?
she is a english teacher
It is potentially doable but it will be tight if you want to buy. You need to look at where you are happy to be in NZ..this will dictate if you really can do it. Doubtful in Auckland/Wellington..even on a rental.

If you want my advice get the job/chose where you want to be with a realistic view point.

Do not buy at present as the housing market here is in a period of adjustment....downwards..and a ways to go!!!!!!! Bank your money...don't change it yet as the exchange rates are punative..the kiwi will weaken..for sure...you just have to wait. It is a fickle, lightweight currency in world terms..in the last 10 years it has been as weak as $3.70=£1!!!! That is a HUGE difference to todays sub $2.50

Research food costs, bills etc. For a family of five all monthly bills excluding rental/mortgage/petrol/food/hols/ repairs/ school fees etc. etc, etc are about $700 per month. That's leccy, gas, phone, rates,life ins, nursing union dues $40, world vision donation $40.

You are welcome to PM me if you wish.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

thanks will have more questions whenmy partner gets home from work
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

she is a english teacher
That would be OK yes. You will have a good life if both of you work, house prices in NZ are dropping , renting a house is the best option in such a market, having a 300K mortgage with interest rates at 10% will cost double your house rental ! Are you from Darlo ? I am from Yarm !
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

yes i am from the costa del sol of the north east (darlo)
but i am a long way from home now as i live in bournemouth
cheers for your reply and your comments are reasuring i dont want to be pennyless and on the other side of world.

to be honest we havent decided where to settle yet i asume like everyone we will follow the job offers any use full links appreciated thank you
darlo(play off bound)tony
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

That's one thing that will be very easy, finding a job ! OK, you are taking a slight risk coming without a job, but so have 90% of us ! Don't worry about that part, and most things are cheap in NZ ! When you arrive here, contact local job agencies, get local paper, find a house to rent for 6 months minimum. Buy a cheap Jap car. There is a special agency for new immigrants to help you get work, well there is in Wellington ! You are great age to come over, as long as both of you have employment , you will do OK, well better than oK really ! And you can almost guarantee that your kids will adore it here !
Downside ? Taxes are high, you will be financially worse off than in UK, health service is even worse than England, long way from your family. Houses are sometimes cold and damp in winter. But after a few months you will not regret having moved here !

Mmmmm Darlo as Costa Del Sol ! I can just imagine all the Yachts parked outside the town hall.

Do a google.co.nz search for jobs, or a search on this site for job

PS Never donate to "World Vision", they are a just a bunch of Charity crooks who put out sob ads on TV

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Apr 24th 2008 at 1:16 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Did you all take plenty of savings?

thanks for that feeling more confident now

i am a bit worried about the schooling do you know of any good links for that.

also what is welly like to live in i.e house prices how close are you to a good beach and nightlife
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

It does tend to rain in Welly ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.