Dentists NZ vs Uk

Old May 25th 2006, 1:32 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hawkes Bay NZ
Posts: 53
pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default Dentists NZ vs Uk

hello out there

As a dentist who has recently moved from NHS practice in the Uk to mostly private practice in NZ ( been here 8 months now ) I would be interested in anybodies thoughts on how dentistry compares here to the Uk.

It is better for me as a dentist, but what do you think ? Do dentists here have more time for you ? is there a different attitude ? anything you miss on either side ? , have your experiences been good or bad ?

and I hesitate to say it, but what about the cost ?

and also what do you think about childrens and teenagers treatment here ?

cheers peter
pangor is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 1:47 am
  #2  
Susie..
 
Andrew Cross's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,531
Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by pangor
hello out there

As a dentist who has recently moved from NHS practice in the Uk to mostly private practice in NZ ( been here 8 months now ) I would be interested in anybodies thoughts on how dentistry compares here to the Uk.

It is better for me as a dentist, but what do you think ? Do dentists here have more time for you ? is there a different attitude ? anything you miss on either side ? , have your experiences been good or bad ?

and I hesitate to say it, but what about the cost ?

and also what do you think about childrens and teenagers treatment here ?

cheers peter
Sorry I cant compare the two because I have four children under the age of sixteen and the thought of what it will cost me gives me palpitations....
Just hope they dont get toothache or I am f*****...
Best of luck though
Andrew Cross is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 4:18 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 1,222
Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

My middle one needs braces. Can I be your friend.

(Quoted around $6-$8k) :scared:
Rascal is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 4:45 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Rangiora
Posts: 37
BobK will become famous soon enoughBobK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by Rascal
My middle one needs braces. Can I be your friend.

(Quoted around $6-$8k) :scared:
Here's a clear case for some of that Kiwi Ingenuity involving number 8 wire that I keep hearing about.
BobK is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 5:18 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hawkes Bay NZ
Posts: 53
pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Sorry I cant compare the two because I have four children under the age of sixteen and the thought of what it will cost me gives me palpitations....
Just hope they dont get toothache or I am f*****...
Best of luck though
As far as I know most routine treatment is free until 18 yearsold whether in school or not.
Although you may have difficulty finding a dentist that will provide this. ( seems a bit like trying to find an NHS dentist in the Uk )

But Orthodontics is not covered ! and it is a biggy - Its probably cheaper to fly your kids back to the Uk for their appointments than have it done here

peter
pangor is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 5:25 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Canberra, ACT
Posts: 1,222
Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by BobK
Here's a clear case for some of that Kiwi Ingenuity involving number 8 wire that I keep hearing about.
I am going to DIY it myself I think at that price. :scared:
Rascal is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 6:26 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joshlin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: our own home, chch
Posts: 812
Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by Rascal
My middle one needs braces. Can I be your friend.

(Quoted around $6-$8k) :scared:
I've just had an orthodontic consult for myself - $90 for the initial consult - very good service, lots of time spent explaining the problem, the treatment options and the cost ($5700, top and bottom). The $90 included digital photos / x rays / impressions as well as the time spent. The $5700 includes all visits, materials including choice of enamel / metal at the front / choice of band colours, includes the retainers, includes emergency visits / replacements within reason. Plus I can have it done now - no wait list!! It is expensive but not sure that I would have got the same level of service / choice in the UK and would definately have been on a waiting list.

I work with someone whose children are having the same treatment at the same orthodontic surgery and it is costing them half the price so I'm guessing they get some kind of child subsidy for orthodontic work - although I will be asking the question why??????
Joshlin is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 7:56 am
  #8  
Susie..
 
Andrew Cross's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,531
Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by pangor
As far as I know most routine treatment is free until 18 yearsold whether in school or not.
Although you may have difficulty finding a dentist that will provide this. ( seems a bit like trying to find an NHS dentist in the Uk )

But Orthodontics is not covered ! and it is a biggy - Its probably cheaper to fly your kids back to the Uk for their appointments than have it done here

peter
Hi Peter,

So how do I find out what dentist offers this treatment for free?
We haven't been to one since we came as I had the kids teeth checked before we left. My 15 yr old had his brace off in December but my 13yr old definitely needs one and so will my 9yr old. Do they pay per visit for this treatment? Sorry so many questions, but not sure what you get and dont get in NZ yet.
Thanks
Andrew Cross is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 8:12 am
  #9  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Hi Peter,

So how do I find out what dentist offers this treatment for free?
We haven't been to one since we came as I had the kids teeth checked before we left. My 15 yr old had his brace off in December but my 13yr old definitely needs one and so will my 9yr old. Do they pay per visit for this treatment? Sorry so many questions, but not sure what you get and dont get in NZ yet.
Thanks
Most kids go to the school dentist here, have you asked the school for a registration forum.
Im taking my six year old tomorrow and it's free.
sky is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 10:29 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 230
annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Sorry I cant compare the two because I have four children under the age of sixteen and the thought of what it will cost me gives me palpitations....
Just hope they dont get toothache or I am f*****...
Best of luck though


Children can enroll for Free dental treatment from the age of 2yrs of age upto the age of 18 providing that they are still in school. Most Primary/Intermediate schools have dental clinics and will see your child maybe twice a year any other concerns just go and see them at school. When your child goes to High School/College you should receive (Ask if you haven't) a form giving you a list of dental providers for Students and you can choose which one to go to. You normally have a yearly check up but again any concerns ring and make an appointment.

Re Orthodonists:

My daughter had braces put on in November. Hers cost $5,500 for approx 24mths, this includes everything that Joshlin has mentioned. The Orthodontists will make up payment plans which in my case you could pay $900 up front plus mthly payments. I have only at this stage been paying the mthly payments. The service we have received has been great and would recommend our Orthodontist to anyone.
All Orthodontists charge different prices so it may pay you to get a few quotes.
annaerb is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 5:08 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 20
rita narbett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by annaerb
Children can enroll for Free dental treatment from the age of 2yrs of age upto the age of 18 providing that they are still in school. Most Primary/Intermediate schools have dental clinics and will see your child maybe twice a year any other concerns just go and see them at school. When your child goes to High School/College you should receive (Ask if you haven't) a form giving you a list of dental providers for Students and you can choose which one to go to. You normally have a yearly check up but again any concerns ring and make an appointment.

Re Orthodonists:

My daughter had braces put on in November. Hers cost $5,500 for approx 24mths, this includes everything that Joshlin has mentioned. The Orthodontists will make up payment plans which in my case you could pay $900 up front plus mthly payments. I have only at this stage been paying the mthly payments. The service we have received has been great and would recommend our Orthodontist to anyone.
All Orthodontists charge different prices so it may pay you to get a few quotes.
Can you get an insurance that covers dental treatment in NZ?
rita narbett is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 6:04 pm
  #12  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by rita narbett
Can you get an insurance that covers dental treatment in NZ?
I'm not sure, I think you can but it's very expensive.
sky is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 7:49 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 230
annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dentists NZ vs Uk

Originally Posted by rita narbett
Can you get an insurance that covers dental treatment in NZ?


Southern Cross Hospital can provide cover but I'm not exactly sure how it works as I think you have to take out the VIP plan and this only covers upto $500 a yr for Dental Treatment. Do a search for Southern Cross Hospital.
My Sister has Insurance to cover exactly everything it's about $200 mth. Her Hubbies work pay a percentage so therefore she pays only $60mth for a family of four. In her case it has been wise to take out medical cover, she has just told me the claims they have made in the last two years have been over $18,000 this is due to her being in Hospital and BIL who has been diagnosed with Cancer
annaerb is offline  
Old May 25th 2006, 11:41 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Left Auckland Oct 07, now Switzerland
Posts: 33
wilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant futurewilkesyl has a brilliant future
Default expert on dental treatment uk & nz

hi Peter

I have been here in nz for 3 months, I came to nz after paying for private dental care in uk ( denplan). It was a total waste of money the dentist would not do anything and I am now here and even though the cost is big I feel I am getting extensive, good dentistry for work I should have had done three years ago. I broke my crown three years ago and my uk dentist stook it on! and told me to get on with it, which i did. I then broke it again while skiing in January and as a result I cannot have a bridge and now need implants. This to me is a long term option and even though expensive the best option. I feel that the dentist here really listened to me,the first ever, I told her how conscious i am of my awful teeth and she has project managed my teeth and i think in a year of so I may finally have nice teeth. She put me in touch with an experienced implant consultant and also a very good orthodontist as I have problems with my bottom teeth also (dont i sound gorgeous!)
I think the hygiene in the dental surgery is very good and I was very pleased with the care she gave when my two teenage children.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, so as a dentist now here in NZ what are your thoughts to the standard of service etc???














Originally Posted by pangor
hello out there

As a dentist who has recently moved from NHS practice in the Uk to mostly private practice in NZ ( been here 8 months now ) I would be interested in anybodies thoughts on how dentistry compares here to the Uk.

It is better for me as a dentist, but what do you think ? Do dentists here have more time for you ? is there a different attitude ? anything you miss on either side ? , have your experiences been good or bad ?

and I hesitate to say it, but what about the cost ?

and also what do you think about childrens and teenagers treatment here ?

cheers peter
wilkesyl is offline  
Old May 27th 2006, 1:14 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hawkes Bay NZ
Posts: 53
pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: expert on dental treatment uk & nz

Originally Posted by wilkesyl
hi Peter

I have been here in nz for 3 months, I came to nz after paying for private dental care in uk ( denplan). It was a total waste of money the dentist would not do anything and I am now here and even though the cost is big I feel I am getting extensive, good dentistry for work I should have had done three years ago. I broke my crown three years ago and my uk dentist stook it on! and told me to get on with it, which i did. I then broke it again while skiing in January and as a result I cannot have a bridge and now need implants. This to me is a long term option and even though expensive the best option. I feel that the dentist here really listened to me,the first ever, I told her how conscious i am of my awful teeth and she has project managed my teeth and i think in a year of so I may finally have nice teeth. She put me in touch with an experienced implant consultant and also a very good orthodontist as I have problems with my bottom teeth also (dont i sound gorgeous!)
I think the hygiene in the dental surgery is very good and I was very pleased with the care she gave when my two teenage children.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions, so as a dentist now here in NZ what are your thoughts to the standard of service etc???

Hi Wilkesyl

Your experiences mirror mine. In the Uk I worked in the NHS and saw anywhere between 30 and 45 patients a day ( before coming over I worked as a locum, so worked to someone elses appointment times etc. I have recently returned to dentistry after a a good few years paternity leave). Here in Nz I see 15 on average.I find in the NHS people rushed past so quickly that there was no time to talk to people and find out what they actually felt and wanted themselves.I personally am much less stressed and tired out over here.

Here in NZ appointment times are longer ( at least in my case ) and we can decide longer treatment plans etc.Yes compared with the salaries here, dentistry is more expensive than the Uk but most things can be taken over time - a year or more like yourself.Some people do have insurance but I have not been ableto find much out about it.

One thing that worried me was when we arrived the dental nurse sawmy middle son and he needed quite a few fillings. This was despite all are kids and ourselves having checkups ( not by me I hasten to add ! ) before we left and getting a clean bill of health ! The nursesaid she had seen other cases like this - has anybody else found this ?

I just wish we had thought about orthodontics before we moved and got that sorted. But perhaps I can get a trade discount.

peter
pangor is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.