Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dec 1st First day of Summer

Dec 1st First day of Summer

Old Dec 1st 2016, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dec 1st First day of Summer

Farmers complaining about lack of rain, bright sun and has been for a week + in Keri
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Three weeks early. Summer starts on the 22nd Dec
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Three weeks early. Summer starts on the 22nd Dec
Oh come on, you're letting the side down. We have to be a bit, erm how shall I say, 'economical with the truth' in order to maintain the perception that we're basking in glorious weather and sunshine for six months of the year.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:42 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I took the date from the radio and TV who stated it was the official first day of summer.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I took the date from the radio and TV who stated it was the official first day of summer.
I know they say that, but astronomically it's the date of the summer solstice
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

Summer solstice is just the longest day of the year, not the start of summer. Once you get to 21st December, you get to look forward to darker evenings. It's all downhill from there.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wez130
Summer solstice is just the longest day of the year, not the start of summer.
Don't they teach science at school anymore
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Well the weather was so shite last weekend, I had a bit of a 'Stir up' Sunday session and made a Christmas pudding which helped create some festive spirit and motivation to wrote out my cards while it was cooking.
Now I just hate you even more
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Just over 5 weeks until i get to Gulf Harbour for my first summer of 2017
Where are you staying in GH? One of our near neighbours is up for sale
https://www.barfoot.co.nz/584196
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

Actually, we're staying in Arkles bay, but GH is better known lol.
That house seems good value for the area though.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 9:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Summer solstice is just the longest day of the year, not the start of summer.
... is the incorrect answer

The seasons themselves start per the astronomical equinox and solstice & this has been observed through time immemorial. It is the traditional way to mark the turn of the seasons.

Spring at Spring Equinox
Summer at Summer Solstice
Autumn at Autumn Equinox
Winter at Winter Solstice.

However we now like to order our world by how we feel the weather is meteorologically. So 1st Dec marks the start of the summer weatherwise down here in Oz and NZ. 1st June for the NH. Odd thing being that weatherwise it doesn't really begin to feel like summer here until the more settle February weather comes.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS

However we now like to order our world by how we feel the weather is meteorologically. So 1st Dec marks the start of the summer weatherwise down here in Oz and NZ. 1st June for the NH.
I know.
We now live in a post-truth world where science is discounted and our feelings & convenience overrides all (I won't mention economics where post-truth dwells in abundance ).