Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Day Trip Bay of Plenty?

Day Trip Bay of Plenty?

Old Jun 14th 2007, 8:24 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Day Trip Bay of Plenty?

We've been in Papamoa for 2 months now and have been so busy with settling in, meeting people, moving house, kids in school etc, etc that we have penciled in next Saturday/Sunday to go off and do something to explore a little further afield.

Possibly McClaren Falls Park, but we won't be able to get 6 of us and 6 bikes in the car ...Hmmmm?

Any suggestions, we're happy to make a weekend of it and put the dogs in kennels to travel a little further afield?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Day Trip Bay of Plenty?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We've been in Papamoa for 2 months now and have been so busy with settling in, meeting people, moving house, kids in school etc, etc that we have penciled in next Saturday/Sunday to go off and do something to explore a little further afield.

Possibly McClaren Falls Park, but we won't be able to get 6 of us and 6 bikes in the car ...Hmmmm?

Any suggestions, we're happy to make a weekend of it and put the dogs in kennels to travel a little further afield?

Different thread - more thoughts.

If you have money to burn a day in Rotorua doing the skyline, louge and finishing up at the hot pools is always good.

There is a really cool mountain bike track just outside Tauranga and also a good one in Rotorua.

Drive to Omokoroa and get the ferry across to Matakana Island (more fun than the ferry from the mount).

Whangamata - Mini golf, fish and chips and on the way home stop at the Quarry (pub) in Te Puna.

Trek into the Kaimai's.

Saturday is the last day of "Field Days" at mystery creek outside hamilton - get close and friendly with the animals.

The world is your oyster as they say.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Herm
Different thread - more thoughts.

If you have money to burn a day in Rotorua doing the skyline, louge and finishing up at the hot pools is always good.

There is a really cool mountain bike track just outside Tauranga and also a good one in Rotorua.

Drive to Omokoroa and get the ferry across to Matakana Island (more fun than the ferry from the mount).

Whangamata - Mini golf, fish and chips and on the way home stop at the Quarry (pub) in Te Puna.

Trek into the Kaimai's.

Saturday is the last day of "Field Days" at mystery creek outside hamilton - get close and friendly with the animals.

The world is your oyster as they say.
The Whangamata option sounds appealing, I have a contact there who'll shout me a beer!

12 year old did Mystery Creek today, from what we can gather sounds like Royal Cornwall Show?!
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Hi again.

Have you tried White Island. May be best to leave it until the summer I guess as its a 40 minute boat trip. It's a spectacular trip though and well worth the money.
If you want a real laugh then try Zorbing in Rotorua. I have done it 4 times and laughed like a drain every time!
White water rafting on the road to Rotorua is a laugh as well.
Try the walk to the top of the Mount is a no cost option. Me and OH do it quite regularly and try to do it a little bit quicker each time. 27 minutes to the top is our record. The best ever time is 19 minutes ... up to the top and back down!!! Bloody mad kiwis! The views from the top are fantastic so take your camera.
Hope that helps

Paul
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by PaulGent
Hi again.

Have you tried White Island. May be best to leave it until the summer I guess as its a 40 minute boat trip. It's a spectacular trip though and well worth the money.
If you want a real laugh then try Zorbing in Rotorua. I have done it 4 times and laughed like a drain every time!
White water rafting on the road to Rotorua is a laugh as well.
Try the walk to the top of the Mount is a no cost option. Me and OH do it quite regularly and try to do it a little bit quicker each time. 27 minutes to the top is our record. The best ever time is 19 minutes ... up to the top and back down!!! Bloody mad kiwis! The views from the top are fantastic so take your camera.
Hope that helps

Paul
Was walking round the base track at 8:30 this morning?!

Decided against the summit option as had 4 year old in tow and after last nights rain didn't think was a Health & Safety option!

I'll never make it to the top and back in 27 minutes with her in tow. Unfair ... Referee?! Plus was jolly chilly at that time. But can see it (ish) from my landing