Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cystic Fibrosis and Immigration

Cystic Fibrosis and Immigration

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

dmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant future
Default Cystic Fibrosis and Immigration

Having finally recieved my OOS from the RNZN after 2 years of haranging the recruitment team out there I have run into another problem. We were due to send our Expression of interest off last week but I am holding on to it as last week my 10 week old daughter was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. That explained the last 9 weeks of worry, so although not the greatest news in the world, now she is recieving treatment we have a much happier daughter, hell I even got 7 hours straight sleep the other night!

My issue is:

1. Will this effect my application for residence? The NZI website contradicts itself, on one page it says CF is classed as a burden on the health service and on the other it says it is an exception to the rule???

Finally is there anyone out there who has moved across to NZ with a child with CF or does anyone know anybody in a similar position?

Any advice is always gratefully recieved.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cystic Fibrosis and Immigration

Hi,
you must have had a very difficult few weeks, I'm glad your daughter is now getting the treatment she needs.
I can't shed much light on your question but there was someone posting several months ago who had a child with CF and did run into some problems. I can't remember the posters name or even exactly when it was but if you have the energy to scroll back you might find them. I have a feeling they didn't progress their application but whether this was due to their child's condition or not I don't know. I'll scroll back and see if anything rings a bell and let you know - sorry this isn't nything more positive.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 10:28 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donnaf
Hi,
you must have had a very difficult few weeks, I'm glad your daughter is now getting the treatment she needs.
I can't shed much light on your question but there was someone posting several months ago who had a child with CF and did run into some problems. I can't remember the posters name or even exactly when it was but if you have the energy to scroll back you might find them. I have a feeling they didn't progress their application but whether this was due to their child's condition or not I don't know. I'll scroll back and see if anything rings a bell and let you know - sorry this isn't nything more positive.
Oh dear, poor you. Yes, Donna's right, it was Claire Hopkins, try and PM her would be my advice, or better still send her an email.

Hope it works out for you and thank goodness for the early diagnosis.

Best wishes
Old Jun 4th 2007, 6:43 am
Just Joined

dmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant futuredmcewan has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Cystic Fibrosis and Immigration

Thanks Guys,

I tracked down CLaire Hopkins last night and sent a PM, then I went back through her posts (should have done that first). They didn't make it to NZ, the CF put a stop to the application and the appeals were rejected.
All we can do is try, if we are rejected then so be it.

Thx

Damon
Old Jun 4th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmcewan
Thanks Guys,

I tracked down CLaire Hopkins last night and sent a PM, then I went back through her posts (should have done that first). They didn't make it to NZ, the CF put a stop to the application and the appeals were rejected.
All we can do is try, if we are rejected then so be it.

Thx

Damon
good luck with the application. glad your girls getting treatment & you getting sleep !!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck - hope it works out well for you.