Cyclone Gabrielle

Old Feb 16th 2023, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cyclone Gabrielle

It was never going anywhere near the south island. Nothing was more obvious.

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 16th 2023 at 3:43 am.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Justcol
It was never going anywhere near the south island. Nothing was more obvious.
Is incorrect . The MetService & local weather watch issued an orange to red warning for part of the Top of the South, which last time I knew was in the ------ wait for it ---- South island. I think meteorologists do know their stuff better than , say, you or I. Mind you I can tell wet dry weather by which way the clouds move here and know when a thunderstorm is going to happening as it gives me a headache.

Given that the area and sounds are still in recovery from last August this area needed to be prepared , whether you approve or not. The alert was more about low pressure and high winds rather than another drenching.

Someone in the much further down part of the SI quite far away from my location which is closer to Welly & NI really than South of South, didn't pay attention or do the homework on how emergency response works overall Or perhaps didn't want to. I'd do a chart to help but cannot be bovvered.

It's simples. Local emergency management = not overwhelmed the manage v overwhelmed = -----> National emergency management = manage with national resoures v saturated and overwhelmed = ----> international emergency management. It is all governed by law . It is not some political gambit . It isn't about one island v another island. It is about a collective gathering of everything available . It is all in the legislation that any govt has to follow.

For communities; towns; rural ; districts; states; islands; nations - it means collective expertise and a huge gathering of responders, equipment, co-ordinators , resources , procurement - and on and on and on.

Each stage of a state of emergency does not mean some sort of coup d'etait . It cannot impose or over-rule . It has to be requested and it is about asking for what is needed and then that being provided. I am not sure I can put it plainer than that.

It is not a 'big thing' ( not sure what that means really) for me. It is about the framework in place . That the tools ( legislation) available is actioned in a timely manner .

My husband volunteers for civil defence and receives training and is OK to be deployed as and when. After the Kaikoura quake he wanted to feel able to do something more than sit on the sidelines.

Now you need to do some lines for not paying proper attention MrCol - Perhaps you go along to a CD training night and ask about this there. It doesn't have to be that. It could be FENZ or StJohn or another agency. Thing is, when the going gets & more than tough , they all have to co-ordinate to come together , looking to use what is available as wisely as they can and that is what the SOE means. Just that.

Now - I'm not commenting on this further Col. Do your homework . it is not a political thing. It is a legislation framework. Think triage in a way.

MrBEVS today has spent 11 hours travelling with the team , response vehicles, equipment and supplies from Gisborne to Hastings and it ain't going to be pretty there either is it. He managed to txt me at Rotorua on the way round but they will be going back into radio silence for the most part. What he managed to txt about Gizzy and area was not good. Not sure he knows that Hawkes Bay is likely worse. Comms are difficult for many many reasons.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 5:27 am
`

Originally Posted by Jolly Good
Weather will always be unpredictable and what you call an arse covering exercise I would call being proactive and being prepared.

This is from 33 years of living on the gulf coast of Texas during hurricane season. A storms path can change dramatically at the very last minute and being unprepared is a risk not only to you, your family and your pets but also to those who need to try and help you.

I'm quite fond of Col in my own way but 'ee don't get it does he. I think he may think it is a political thing of some sort . Weather doesn't care about politics but people and communities do. They need to know that help is there the best it can be and the legislation provides for that. It means stepping up , not shying away.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm quite fond of Col in my own way but 'ee don't get it does he. I think he may think it is a political thing of some sort . Weather doesn't care about politics but people and communities do. They need to know that help is there the best it can be and the legislation provides for that. It means stepping up , not shying away.
Absolutely and I think that Chris Hipkins is doing a good job of leading. Huge thanks goes to all those who are helping others in and by whatever means. Having folk who are properly trained and able to act makes a big difference in emergency situations. Being prepared is also important, even if a crisis doesn't eventuate.
Mother Nature doesn't give a monkeys who you vote for.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 7:31 am
`

It does not matter who is PM . All are governed by legislation. Both Adearn and now Hipkins do and did incredibly well to be the front person right up there when faced with the impossible and dreadful.

Fair play.

Still What happens is about movement of emergency management through law. In this you need a great communicator. Not a selfish dud.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 16th 2023 at 7:36 am.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Well nearly anyone's better than Code Brown in Auckland!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2023, 9:25 am
`

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
Well nearly anyone's better than Code Brown in Auckland!!!!
Wayne Brown? Auckland elected him and I expect most knew his leanings and manner. He is well known for his priors The deputy is stepping up in comms quite well though. A minister has been appointed. Might help.

Meanwhile - cyclone gabrielle and the devastation.. Great call to advance the. NZ national SOE . Folks are tired out there Very tired. Those responding and those that have lost everything
Oz's on their way.
Much thanks to them.

Hinself is arrived to Napier after 11 hours.
Hunkered fown in a hall Awaits tomorrow tasking . It is huge.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 16th 2023 at 9:28 am.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know BEVS is well up on this kind of thing, but for many people its hard to see why some government decisions are made during a disaster.
NZ is much the same as Australia with this though, and one thing many don't understand is that there are things like Army assistance, disaster funding, and requests for international assistace, that cannot be made without the likes of a Disaster Declaration (Qld) or a State of Emergency (NZ). Even evacuation orders, and the power to force people to leave their homes for their own safety are dependent on legislation like this. Often although a declaration seems to cover a wider area than necessary, its done that way to ensure wider powers, covering the maximum possible area.
I don't pretend to understand all the details of a State of Emergency in NZ, but I know it wouldn't be done lightly, those powers are needed in all the named areas.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 10:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne Brown? Auckland elected him and I expect most knew his leanings and manner. He is well known for his priors The deputy is stepping up in comms quite well though. A minister has been appointed. Might help.

Meanwhile - cyclone gabrielle and the devastation.. Great call to advance the. NZ national SOE . Folks are tired out there Very tired. Those responding and those that have lost everything
Oz's on their way.
Much thanks to them.

Glad you are back in touch with Mr BEVS.

New South Wales Fire are the lead team for deployment this quarter, but have been deployed to Turkey. Queensland are the back up, and are preparing for deployment to NZ as I type......
Old Feb 16th 2023, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Not good for North Auckland at the moment.
Most of the power seems to be out, and a lot of roads blocked by fallen trees and slips which is hampering repair work.
Family is OK but without power for an indeterminate time.
Wonder if they are using the camping stove from our NZ "be prepared" kit which we leave with them.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

It's more attitude than political

Old Feb 16th 2023, 8:08 pm
`

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know BEVS is well up on this kind of thing, but for many people its hard to see why some government decisions are made during a disaster.
NZ is much the same as Australia with this though, and one thing many don't understand is that there are things like Army assistance, disaster funding, and requests for international assistace, that cannot be made without the likes of a Disaster Declaration (Qld) or a State of Emergency (NZ). Even evacuation orders, and the power to force people to leave their homes for their own safety are dependent on legislation like this. Often although a declaration seems to cover a wider area than necessary, its done that way to ensure wider powers, covering the maximum possible area.
I don't pretend to understand all the details of a State of Emergency in NZ, but I know it wouldn't be done lightly, those powers are needed in all the named areas.
You have explained this in a far more succinct and better way than me. Cheers Polly. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad you are back in touch with Mr BEVS.

New South Wales Fire are the lead team for deployment this quarter, but have been deployed to Turkey. Queensland are the back up, and are preparing for deployment to NZ as I type......
Thank goodness and thank them all. The Oz's are coming. It is so very much needed out there.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 8:27 pm
`

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Most of the power seems to be out, and a lot of roads blocked by fallen trees and slips which is hampering repair work.
Wonder if they are using the camping stove from our NZ "be prepared" kit which we leave with them.
They may well be and I hope there is a way for them to refill their lpg bottle if that is so. Have they internet?
Worst for so many is not being able to communicate in this way. We have all become accustomed to instant connection.
If not hopefully they do have a battery/solar radio.
Old Feb 16th 2023, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oz's on their way.
Much thanks to them.

Not all of Auckland elected him 😉.

Good to hear that Mr BEVS is safe.
Sadly but not unexpectedly the death toll continues to rise. It's devastating.
Thank goodness that the team from Aussie are coming to assist.
The emotional toll as well as the physical toll is draining. I'm sure there are a lot of folk who are totally exhausted.
Working on the coalface in the NHS, we were taught about being aware of "creeping fatigue". Basically, as the shift wore on you were more likely to make mistakes or get an injury because of being mentally, emotionally and physically tired.
Old Feb 17th 2023, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Good to hear your family is OK. My friend in Wellsford managed to get to work in Orewa today. The dome valley road is open for now. It was good to see her. Thankfully a neighbour has loaned them a wee generator so they have a source of power. They have been able to get some Internet by heading to outside the library and McDonald's in Wellsford. 30 mins parked outside both!!
Another mutual friend rang whilst I was with her. They live south of Port Albert and they have no power, internet, water. She had driven to the top of a hill to get a signal.
On the plus side they are all safe and still have their homes and belongings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.