CV advice please.

Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default CV advice please.

Just wondering if a CV for the New Zealand job market is different from a British CV and what the differences are? Any pointers would be very welcome.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:33 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: CV advice please.

Mr BSG here (not to be confused with the other half)

http://www.postgrad.auckland.ac.nz/u...v_examples.cfm

http://202.175.143.70/pathfinder/Art...rticle9913.htm

all NZ examples

I had to shortern my CV when I came to the UK, as it was to full of waffle apparently.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baron Silas Greenback

all NZ examples

I had to shortern my CV when I came to the UK, as it was to full of waffle apparently.
Very many thanks for the links which should be a great help.

Your acronym reminds me of the BFG from the (I think) original Doom game. Excellent full name btw.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

all NZ examples

Two pages are the norm it would seem now..........
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Two pages are the norm it would seem now..........
The British version of Mr Sinope's CV is 2 pages and we would struggle to make it smaller.

BTW is there any difference in page size etc as in the US/Canada, or is it standard A4?
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:00 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

standard A4 will suffice !!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:01 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

all NZ examples

Jeaus mate,whats with all these poms dragging our country down, perhaps they should look at their own before commenting on ours
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Saw somewhere that a small photo of yourself at the top on front page is also a good thing....but dont quote me...I have one on mine....and got a job offer but not after applying for 10-20 jobs

Last edited by julesnye; Nov 9th 2007 at 10:30 am. Reason: corrected grammar
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by julesnye
Saw somewhere that a small photo of yourself at the top on front page is also a good thing....but dont quote me...I have one on mine....and got a job offer but not after applying for 10-20 jobs
That's good advice, thanks.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:24 pm
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough

Depends what you look like!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Depends what you look like!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Film star looks and a a body to die for.
or
Bald and suave
or
what ever you want to add
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
Just wondering if a CV for the New Zealand job market is different from a British CV and what the differences are? Any pointers would be very welcome.
Sinope I often have the unenviable job of shortlisting job applications and my advice would be keep it simple and rather than cram a lot into one or two pages set your CV out so it is easy to scan. If a CV is too hard to decipher then it is likely going to be put to one side if there are a number of good potential employees applying. More pages well set out are best.

What I/we look for ....

An introduction with photo

Name
Contact Details
Nationality
General Health
Hobbies/Interests
Education
Training
Relevant Work History
Career Objectives
Referees

Shortlisters don't want to know every little thing you have ever done in your life, they want to be able to see if you are suitable for the specific job.

Impress them with

CV prepared for ......... on your front page.

Include a brief covering letter telling them why you are best person for the job.

At the interview use lots of "I" statements and ensure that you come across as being enthusiastic about the role and give a "running towards and not a running away" impression.

Humour is good !!! Good luck
Old Nov 10th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Sinope I often have the unenviable job of shortlisting job applications and my advice would be keep it simple and rather than cram a lot into one or two pages set your CV out so it is easy to scan. If a CV is too hard to decipher then it is likely going to be put to one side if there are a number of good potential employees applying. More pages well set out are best.

What I/we look for ....

An introduction with photo

Name
Contact Details
Nationality
General Health
Hobbies/Interests
Education
Training
Relevant Work History
Career Objectives
Referees

Shortlisters don't want to know every little thing you have ever done in your life, they want to be able to see if you are suitable for the specific job.

Impress them with

CV prepared for ......... on your front page.

Include a brief covering letter telling them why you are best person for the job.

At the interview use lots of "I" statements and ensure that you come across as being enthusiastic about the role and give a "running towards and not a running away" impression.

Humour is good !!! Good luck
Fantastic advice, Bella. Very many thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

I've been told not to include age and marital status, but it is probably down to preference

Depending on your line of work it might impress if you can host it on an 'e-portfolio', blog or some website - in addition to mailing a hard copy of course

here's mine - something like this is pretty flexible in that it allows a web overview of your areas of expertise, experience etc, you can link to a word doc of your full CV and an also include any other relevant documents such as references, work bulletins etc. It also has a blog function - if you're into that sort of thing

I applied for two jobs and was lucky enough to get offered the post for the first one, so it must have helped in my circumstances.... roll on January

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.