Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Customs Lottery – how can we get around it?

The Customs Lottery – how can we get around it?

Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile The Customs Lottery – how can we get around it?

Hypothetically speaking. My understanding is that for goods where less than $50 is owing in GST (charged at 12.5%) they don’t bother collecting, correct? So as long as the purchase price of the product (not including shipping) is under $400 no tax will be collected?

However as many products that we might want to ship cost more than $400 (frankly there hasn’t been much good stuff for sale under this price since the 1970s) is there an easy way around the customs GST lottery?

Luckily we don’t live on an island out in the pacific somewhere and a limited selection of products or this would be really annoying...o wait...we do. Want to buy a cell phone thats not available here .
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:16 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Customs Lottery – how can we get around it?

That is the figure for the import of personal goods for migrants, I´d be surprised if NZ customs forgoes that amount routinely on any and all individual imports under that value....

No sensible and legal ways around it unless you are travelling abroad AND want to forgoe any warranty (or make the warranty realistically unworkable), if not an international warranty.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 11:40 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

A slightly different question occured to me reading your original post. If I decided to buy up large in the UK, say, where VAT is 20%, is there any way to buy ex-VAT and pay the GST in NZ (I would be travelling NZ)? In other words, I guess, export to NZ. Is this doable, or even worth the effort?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Want to buy a cell phone thats not available here .
Buy it in the UK and have shipped to UK address of a friend or family member and then have them post it to you as a gift. Still they have to state the value of the item on the customs declaration and for insurance purposes. You could of course ask them to state a lower figure and run the risk if it gets lost you will only be insured to the value that was shown.

Simonsi, they do check the parcels and routinely request GST before they will release the item to the recipient. There's been a lot of talk recently around reducing the limits because local businesses are screaming 'not fair' to competition from online shopping overseas.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Customs Lottery – how can we get around it?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Buy it in the UK and have shipped to UK address of a friend or family member and then have them post it to you as a gift.
Good idea .
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: The Customs Lottery – how can we get around it?

Originally Posted by jmh
A slightly different question occured to me reading your original post. If I decided to buy up large in the UK, say, where VAT is 20%, is there any way to buy ex-VAT and pay the GST in NZ (I would be travelling NZ)? In other words, I guess, export to NZ. Is this doable, or even worth the effort?
I believe you can reclaim your VAT . It seems in the U.S. you don't pay VAT for foreign online purchases though sometimes?