Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Curtains - oh, how I larfed

Curtains - oh, how I larfed

Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:00 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Curtains - oh, how I larfed

Measured up the living room, kitchen and dining room windows for some curtains today (you may recall I live in a greenhouse).

Popped to a shop in Tawa just out of interest to see what it would cost to have some made up. THey offered free making which I thought would be a winner.

So when they told me that it would cost just shy of $5000 in a very average material, i swallowed hard (trying to stifle a snigger, imagining the look on Dribble's face when I break the news to him).

And the cost of the material I actually liked? About $7500. *bom shiiinnnnng* (thats the drum and cymbol noise you get after the punchline in a joke).

"Oohhh shhhh**" (thats me wetting myself from laughing {mild panic laughing} all the way home).

Guess I will be talking to Karonious at some point about some curtain making!!!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curtains - oh, how I larfed

We had the same shock when we first arrived. Think they heard our English accent thought they could rip us off. The thing is, kiwis only have one pair of curtains for each window, so they are made to last and most people don't EVER change them. I often changed mine in the UK depending on the time of year etc, but here it's thermal curtains all year round. Eventually I bought some in the Wearhouse and also in Spotlight, which were in the sale and very reasonably priced. Spotlight has some great curtain material, but again it works out quite expensive.

Gill
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Could you not get some on line in the UK and get someone to post them out here for you? CH Fabrics do nice ones ready made, M&S, next, Oh I do miss popping in those shops.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Steve and Julie
Could you not get some on line in the UK and get someone to post them out here for you? CH Fabrics do nice ones ready made, M&S, next, Oh I do miss popping in those shops.
i was just thinking about this option. A friend of mine has just taken up curtain making, so I could ask her to make some and perhaps throw them into a willing expat's container

....or post them. Which I imagine would cost HEAPS but still cheaper than getting it done here!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Eventually I bought some in the Wearhouse and also in Spotlight, which were in the sale and very reasonably priced. Spotlight has some great curtain material, but again it works out quite expensive.

Gill
Yes i have scoured these two shops, and others, but just havent seen anything that really fits the bill. Good point that the curtains are 'for life' and I really do think we need them, if we expect our heating (panel heater) to have any effect. I have odd sized windows too. Three of them are over 3 metres wide
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:50 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe did you go into Creative Curtains or Lewis's? I am guessing so because I think they are the only places in Tawa which do curtains.

Nothing to do with the fact they heard a British accent - they are just really really expensive!! I remember my parents always using Lewis's but that was before ready to hang curtains in packets were available. Quality is great (in fact, my parents curtains are still very nice looking 10 years later) but yikes! $4,000

In fact, the CEO at my work recently got a quote from Lewis's and, while conceding the quality was excellent, admitted to me that he would rather just spend the money on a holiday and so nipped off to the Warehouse instead to buy them!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:53 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

ooh what about Arbuckles. Do they sell curtains? The quality of their cheap sheets and duvets is a bit nasty but their higher end stuff is normally ok. Not sure if they do curtains though.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

The Warehouse sell curtains
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Hehe did you go into Creative Curtains or Lewis's? I am guessing so because I think they are the only places in Tawa which do curtains.
think i might be popping over to Creative Curtains next time
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14
The Warehouse sell curtains
they do indeed - but have already scoured the ready made curtains and I cant get any in the right widths and lengths I need. Plus havent really seen anything that floats me boat.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:00 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off tomorrow!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by karonious
I'm off tomorrow!
yehhhhhh
need to change the title of this thread - i keep thinking i have written ' Curtains - oh, how I farted.'
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
they do indeed - but have already scoured the ready made curtains and I cant get any in the right widths and lengths I need. Plus havent really seen anything that floats me boat.
Hmmm, perhaps there is a gap in the market, maybe you could set up "Dreamfish's Drapes"
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Hmmm, perhaps there is a gap in the market, maybe you could set up "Dreamfish's Drapes"
HAHAHAHHAHAHA

gawd i have a filthy mind
Old Apr 17th 2008, 7:10 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Originally Posted by dreamfish
think i might be popping over to Creative Curtains next time
Oops I should have followed that up by saying they are just as expensive as each other!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.