Currency

Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Or is a housing boom with loss of credit rating and bust the last thing they want? Their choice either way.
http://www.interest.co.nz/currencies...ting-correctio

Hopefully the above might happen and we will see some heat come off the kiwi's value.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Or is a housing boom with loss of credit rating and bust the last thing they want? Their choice either way.
Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't!! What a perfect 'betwixt a rock and a hard place' if ever there was one.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis
Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't!! What a perfect 'betwixt a rock and a hard place' if ever there was one.
The pound is rapidly shrinking to 1.78! What about the article the other day saying that the kiwi was going to feel some pressure? I need to buy a load of kiwi $s at what is probably historically the worst time ever to buy them. The love of houses eh? At this rate I am not going to be able this new house!!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

The pound is rapidly shrinking to 1.78! What about the article the other day saying that the kiwi was going to feel some pressure? I need to buy a load of kiwi $s at what is probably historically the worst time ever to buy them. The love of houses eh? At this rate I am not going to be able this new house!!
1.78 is the all time low for the GBP/NZ$. I don't think I will be buying any kiwis at this rate having given it great thought. Unless a property presents itself as a real bargain I just cannot part with pounds at 1.78. It is bloody ridiculous.

I think if I was emigrating now and had started the process some time ago at say 2 for 1 I reckon I would back out and wait. The dollar surely will weaken at some point? Who can afford to change up big amounts of cash at this crap rate??? I know I can't.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 6:43 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

1.78 is the all time low for the GBP/NZ$. I don't think I will be buying any kiwis at this rate having given it great thought. Unless a property presents itself as a real bargain I just cannot part with pounds at 1.78. It is bloody ridiculous.

I think if I was emigrating now and had started the process some time ago at say 2 for 1 I reckon I would back out and wait. The dollar surely will weaken at some point? Who can afford to change up big amounts of cash at this crap rate??? I know I can't.
So, do you think the exchange rate will move to being more in your favour, or do you just wish it would?

As they say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

This reminds me of that scene in Other People's Money, where Danny DeVito talks about buggy whips....

The UK (along with the USA and Japan) is deliberately devaluing their national currency. USA Inc is printing 85 billion dollars a month, and injecting it into the economy. That is the one and only reason why the stock market keeps climbing. Japan intends to print TWICE that amount, and inject it into an economy which is one quarter the size of USA Inc., which will end up doubling the amount of JPY in the economy by the end of 2014. Now, when I went to school, twice as much of something, in the same barrel, meant that each unit was worth HALF of what it used to be. So 100% inflation.

Somebody please tell me that I'm wrong... and prove it with hard numbers, rather than wishful thinking.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by downunderpom
So, do you think the exchange rate will move to being more in your favour, or do you just wish it would?

As they say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

This reminds me of that scene in Other People's Money, where Danny DeVito talks about buggy whips....

The UK (along with the USA and Japan) is deliberately devaluing their national currency. USA Inc is printing 85 billion dollars a month, and injecting it into the economy. That is the one and only reason why the stock market keeps climbing. Japan intends to print TWICE that amount, and inject it into an economy which is one quarter the size of USA Inc., which will end up doubling the amount of JPY in the economy by the end of 2014. Now, when I went to school, twice as much of something, in the same barrel, meant that each unit was worth HALF of what it used to be. So 100% inflation.

Somebody please tell me that I'm wrong... and prove it with hard numbers, rather than wishful thinking.
Me, like you and everyone else on this earth have no idea what will happen to a currency. The pound is trending lower as I realise but I am not in a situation where I have to do ought. If I don't like the price of something I don't buy it, simple as. I just see it as bad value at 1.78.

If the pound continues to fall I will leave it in the UK and if it falls that much further I may well think about a return to the UK as what I hold in NZ dollars will be that much more and thus will be able to afford more in the UK in that unpopulous area I yearn for.

Remember that the kiwi is a fickle currency and things can change for better and worse very sharpish. I am lucky I am not in a position where I HAVE to make a decision at these rates. The 'new' house can wait. Or I can stay here for the foreseeable future. Lots of choices, so my glass is half full.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Interesting correlation between the NZ$ and global equity markets: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NZDU...&q=l&c=%5EGSPC
Old Apr 11th 2013, 11:50 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BlackCrossInResidence
Interesting correlation between the NZ$ and global equity markets: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=NZDU...&q=l&c=%5EGSPC
Very interesting. It looks from that chart as if the Kiwi has been 'surfing' the DOW/S&P for the last five years, ever since the 2008 crash.

Does this mean that the Kiwi will crash only when the stock market does, or will it continue it's present course? Place your bets!!

Interesting times we live in.

(Wait... isn't that an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times"...?)
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I think if I was emigrating now and had started the process some time ago at say 2 for 1 I reckon I would back out and wait. The dollar surely will weaken at some point? Who can afford to change up big amounts of cash at this crap rate??? I know I can't.[/QUOTE]

We are in this exact position, it was heartbreaking to watch, but after two years of job hunting we cannot miss this once in a lifetime opportunity. Life is not all about money
Old Apr 13th 2013, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moonie2011
We are in this exact position, it was heartbreaking to watch, but after two years of job hunting we cannot miss this once in a lifetime opportunity. Life is not all about money[/QUOTE]

In some ways you are correct and I am sure you are making the right move for yourselves. Whilst there are way more important in life things than cash a life with less of the latter than one anticipated can make said life a tad tiresome. Many people on here are quick to mention you cannot eat scenery and the such like. Irrespective of what our views may be money cushions you from the hardness life can bring. Money is purely a bargaining tool. Not the be all and end all.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah.

You don't take it with you.

It's funny, money.

Seems to me families get torn apart when someone wealthy passes on and they all fight in the aftermath, theres always someone offended by an omission in the will. Potless families carry on as is.

I'm generalising massively, but jealousy and envy about money is the worst kind and makes people do and say some pretty heartless things.

Still, my GBPs are essentially worthless in NZ, I do hope things improve. But as there's nothing I can do about it, personally speaking, I'll pootle along merrily.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Yeah.

Still, my GBPs are essentially worthless in NZ, I do hope things improve. But as there's nothing I can do about it, personally speaking, I'll pootle along merrily.
My sentiments entirely mate. Utterly useless at the moment stuck over there. No good to me over here but cool to spend over there, but I am in the wrong country eh?

I too will get along without the stuff and our kids will have a ball when they do their OEs!!!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Yeah.

You don't take it with you.

It's funny, money.

Seems to me families get torn apart when someone wealthy passes on and they all fight in the aftermath, theres always someone offended by an omission in the will. Potless families carry on as is.

I'm generalising massively, but jealousy and envy about money is the worst kind and makes people do and say some pretty heartless things.

You are so right!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marblep

You are so right!
Big shifts overnight. The kiwi fell about 3 cents agin the US$ and the pound has gained about 01.45% against the kiwi. Gold and silver have slumped hugely and who knows what is round the corner (as usual). Cyprus selling its gold (lots of it) and the Boston terror attack all play their part apparently if you believe the news.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I held off on the silver maples in this bear market. Although I'm planning that rose garden/pet grave at some point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.