Currency

Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currency

Originally Posted by downunderpom
I don't think you're going to get any better....

Egan-Jones Downgrades UK From AA- To A+

"

DOWNGRADING United Kingdom FROM AA- to A+ (S&P: AAA)

THIS IS A NON-NRSRO RATING.

Synopsis: Re. the balance of payments, imports have exceeded exports by an average of 500B pounds annually over the past several years. The major problems for the UK is that Europe's banking crisis does not appear to be abating as evidenced by the problems of the Cypriot banks. On the fiscal side, the deficit to GDP has declined over the past three years from 11.5% to 8.3%, which is a respectable decline, but is still substantial; the bulk of the deficit reduction was the result of increased taxes. The over-riding concern is whether the country will be able to continue to cut its deficit in the face of weaker economic conditions and a possible deterioration in the country's financial sector. Unfortunately, we expect that the UK's debt/GDP will rise and the country will remain pressed (we are waiting for addl 2012 data). We are downgrading."

Genesis, mate! Are you paying attention???
Are you suggesting time to abandon the sinking ship as it is 'now or never' as we may lose our money due to a UK bank implosion/run etc, or if one can 'weather the storm' wait a decade or 3 and it will be better, say back up to 2 for 1?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:26 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
Are you suggesting time to abandon the sinking ship as it is 'now or never' as we may lose our money due to a UK bank implosion/run etc, or if one can 'weather the storm' wait a decade or 3 and it will be better, say back up to 2 for 1?
I'm saying that I doubt you will get a better rate. Not now. Not ever. Britain is too closely linked to Europe, and will rise or fall with Europe. Just answer yourself one question - is the Euro zone rising or falling?

Usual disclaimers apply. I also just said pretty much the same thing on the "UK Banks & building societies" thread, but more forcefully.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying that I doubt you will get a better rate. Not now. Not ever. Britain is too closely linked to Europe, and will rise or fall with Europe. Just answer yourself one question - is the Euro zone rising or falling?

Usual disclaimers apply. I also just said pretty much the same thing on the "UK Banks & building societies" thread, but more forcefully.
But it is not only about the GBP. The fortunes of the kiwi $ are just as important in all this and whilst we all know it has been going from strength to strength it is a very fickle currency and loses ground very, very quickly..or has so in the past.

Whilst I would like my Uk cash over here I don't need it as I am fortunate enough to have sufficient funds in NZ. I realise I am getting only half what I get in the UK in interest over what I could get in NZ and you know I just think to myself 'simply leave it there'. My kids can have it when they move to the UK or do their OE's, or we can use it when we visit the UK. I don't want to panic and take the shittiest rate in the history of the world.

If I took 1.80 at current rates 2%UK v 4% in NZ it would take me 10 years to make up the 30 cents it has dropped in the last 6 or so months.

My gamble is to leave it in the Nationwide and only ever use it in the northern hemisphere. Write it off never to come to NZ.

Would be nice here but it is not needed in NZ and is never likely to be needed. Why take such a 'haircut' on rates. Even if it gets worse which it probably will I think I drew a line in the sand not to do any more forex at sub 2 for 1. If the Nationwide goes tits us then we are stuffed. However what if the kiwi bank falls over that I deposit it in?

This way I have funds split betwixt two very different scenarios. Sounds okay to me.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 2:49 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Sounds okay to me.
Your money. Your choice. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and the GBP goes from strength to strength. (It's no skin off my nose which way it goes, so I'm neutral.)

P.S. - check out the new signature. Just covering my own arse!!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:07 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Down under Pom, love the last line of your signature disclaimer !
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Your money. Your choice. I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and the GBP goes from strength to strength. (It's no skin off my nose which way it goes, so I'm neutral.)

P.S. - check out the new signature. Just covering my own arse!!
I don't expect the pound to rise. Quite the opposite. Am reasonably content to leave it in a mutual society (The Nationwide) which is apparently the biggest in the world (mind you that does not mean much these days..bigger they are the harder they fall!!) and use it in the future in the UK. If the kiwi falls in value which is more likely than the pound gaining value and it gets up past 2 for 1 I will reconsider my options.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 5:11 am
I like kittens.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Down under Pom, love the last line of your signature disclaimer !
Ey thenk yew for them kind words, (Madam) Guv'nor!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodlea
What a load of rubbish! What aftershocks? There hasn't been any noticable for months. Who's depressed, most people are happier here than in miserable pommie-land. What do you mean by nothing to do? There's loads to do, and not enough time to do it all!!
There are hardly any aftershocks now - its true, but still the odd one or two -I was there in Jan and felt a really strong one in akaroa that made me jump but this is rare now. And there was a thing in the paper and on our breakfast tv that 66 thousand cantabs are now on anti-depressant pills as it is common for people who have been through disasters to experience this - that is all I was saying but I did not word it in a postive way - sorry for that - but I am not trolling. Cheers.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

My money has made it to NZ, the rate was not what it was in yesteryear but it's as good as I could get and it's done. Feels a bit weird to be on the other side of the world to it. Onwards!
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
My money has made it to NZ, the rate was not what it was in yesteryear but it's as good as I could get and it's done. Feels a bit weird to be on the other side of the world to it. Onwards!
Well done mate! I may do the unthinkable and cash up some pounds at 1.80 or LESS!!!! Gotta do what you gotta do eh??
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:34 am
I like kittens.

Well done mate! I may do the unthinkable and cash up some pounds at 1.80 or LESS!!!! Gotta do what you gotta do eh??
I think that is an EXCELLENT idea.....

http://webofdebt.wordpress.com/2013/...uk-depositors/

This woman knows her onions, and sees the writing on the wall. I've advised UK family to extract while they can. If it all comes to naught, they can always put it back in the bank, no harm, no foul....

Ounce of prevention, etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

This woman knows her onions, and sees the writing on the wall. I've advised UK family to extract while they can. If it all comes to naught, they can always put it back in the bank, no harm, no foul....

This is all madness. If people like me and others get the shits over this and we ALL pull our money out and buy ugly homes or gold or whatever we deem as lower risk than cash in the bank the whole fiscal system of the world will fail surely.

NZ has seen a an issue with punters no longer prepared to put their cash in finance cos. This was traditionally the way new business ventures, new housing, car loans et al were funded. That money is no longer available and 5 billion went up in smoke and what was left and what people now have to save will not go to a finance co unless you are very mad.

That is one avenue of financing that no longer exists as it did. That is not good for the economy. Where will all this end?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

You mention onions. You seem to know yours. I have no idea if you have cash in the UK but if you did would you really pull it all out NOW and take a hit at 1.79 for a pound to invest it say in a kiwi home over leaving it in a UK bank? Do you think a melt down in EC2 is that imminent?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

You mention onions. You seem to know yours. I have no idea if you have cash in the UK but if you did would you really pull it all out NOW and take a hit at 1.79 for a pound to invest it say in a kiwi home over leaving it in a UK bank? Do you think a melt down in EC2 is that imminent?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/y...e-rebound.html
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:07 am
I like kittens.

I'll see your telepraph, and raise you a BBC....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13366011

This graph shows the condition of each member of the Eurozone, and the UK for comparison. They're all in deficit, except maybe Estonia. Including the UK.

The mainstream media, however, is owned and controlled by the people who own the central banks, A.K.A. "The People Who Broke The World", so can be manipulated. I tend to get my information from the 'alternate' media, taking care to avoid the obvious paranoids, and the 'tinfoil hat' brigade.

To (sort of) answer your earlier question about what I would do if I had money in the UK, my level of risk taking is higher than yours. As I said in an earlier post, I've been rich and I've been poor, so the idea of being poor doesn't scare me. For example, back in my 20's, I was put in a position of having to leave Rhodesia, due to the civil war which was going on, and various people wanting me to pick up a gun and go shoot people, which I objected to, mainly because those buggers shot back!! I left Rhodesia, and arrived in the UK with a haversack on my back and twenty quid in my pocket. Obviously, I survived, thrived, and went on to bigger 'n' better things.

My philosophical outlook is "Half a loaf is better than none." I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what I would do with any UK money. (Hint: "Mrs DUP! Do you fancy a splurge at Marks 'n' Sparks Online Store? I'll use my Santander debit card to pay for it and use up this UK dosh!")

No prizes for guessing what Mrs Dup's response was! Man! That was a BIG parcel!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.