Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Culture Shock - Shock

Culture Shock - Shock

Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light
Default Culture Shock - Shock

This has never happened to me before, so I am a little bit in shock.....

We are a good few weeks back from our latest long stay over in the winterless north and I find I am actually missing New Zealand. Usually when we get back its lovely and I revel in the history, bustle and supermarket choices.

This time, not so much. Not much had changed, I was still amazed by how much everyone drinks, my mother-in-law's conversation still alternates between washing, cleaning and the youngest grandchild's bowel movements. Everyone else's definitely seemed to include the weather and their catch the last time they went fishing. And, I admit, there times I was a little bit bored, but mostly I just felt chilled.

I had forgotten about the light in NZ, it is so much clearer - that may sound daft. The supermarkets are certainly better stocked since last time we were there. There is a sushi or noodle bar on every corner (not very good sushi either, I have to say), a greater proportion of the population seems to be a tad overweight, and there are carbohydrates everywhere - you cant even get a fluffy without a dreadful chocolate fish appearing!

BUT, I loved being able to put my head in the sand and not listen to the news at all - which is possible in NZ, and very welcome with all the awful things that are in the news here. And, I think I might have finally got NZ (or maybe just my NZ family) it is about children and family life. (Family life does not have to mean you have to have children either) I was amazed when I went to watch my niece play netball on Saturday morning to see thousands of people there watching or playing just about any sport possible. I loved the fact that we were expected to earn our keep and get out and do the jobs that needed doing on the farm, children included.

I was probably due a good break and holiday, but now I'm back, I'm not so fussed about being able to buy anything that takes my fancy in the supermarket, there are too many people, my children spend too much time in afterschool activities so we can hold down 2 jobs and keep our heads above water.

I realise this is just the rose-tinted stuff, and every day hum drum is hard no mater how utopian your location, but it is just possible, that after nearly 20 years a crack in my resolve is just beginning to form.............
Old Sep 6th 2014, 12:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Culture Shock - Shock

......Oooooo pom4gud. You're having a wibbly wobble ping pong style.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 2:57 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Culture Shock - Shock

Originally Posted by pom4gud
I was still amazed by how much everyone drinks
I just put down my glass to point out your not endearing yourself to your readership there really are you?
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yes, good point! None intended, really meant my family. They tend to take the top off a bottle at 4pm and keep going till past my bedtime. Too much for my light weight standards
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pom4gud
Oh yes, good point! None intended, really meant my family. They tend to take the top off a bottle at 4pm and keep going till past my bedtime. Too much for my light weight standards
It's not just your family; it's pretty widespread, people generally start getting twitchy and talking about 'wine o'clock' around 4pm.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I find my social circle is incredibly small now MrH and I don't drink alcohol. On days out here people start with doubles of spirits at 10am and people drink steadily through the day until they get a taxi home that they often can't remember taking.
It's unusual for many people I know to not drink at least half a bottle of wine every evening and go through a bottle of spirits every 10-14 days.