Reload this Page >

Costs of living in Auckland?

Costs of living in Auckland?

Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

SAINT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs of living in Auckland?

Please let me know the following:

MY son is 16 and is taking his GCSE exam this June. We plan to go to Auckland this October. Can someone recommend a school that he can do his A-level? Beacuse if it does not work out for us or if he want, he can come back to England to do his A-level and university.

What is the cost of renting a two bed-rooms accommodation? What is the different between apartment and town house? I checked the wedsites, their prices seem to be more or less the same. We are going to rent our house in England out and We want to rent in Auckland for 6-12 months, we are not going to commit before we find our footing. Does this make sense?

How about the basic cost of living for a family of 3?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Saint
Old Apr 4th 2005, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Costs of living in Auckland?

Originally Posted by SAINT
Please let me know the following:

MY son is 16 and is taking his GCSE exam this June. We plan to go to Auckland this October. Can someone recommend a school that he can do his A-level? Beacuse if it does not work out for us or if he want, he can come back to England to do his A-level and university.

What is the cost of renting a two bed-rooms accommodation? What is the different between apartment and town house? I checked the wedsites, their prices seem to be more or less the same. We are going to rent our house in England out and We want to rent in Auckland for 6-12 months, we are not going to commit before we find our footing. Does this make sense?

How about the basic cost of living for a family of 3?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Saint
Cant help with all teh questions but maybe sum,.

Dont know how the schooling works between NZ and tyhe UK, no kids...

As far as rent goes, 2-bed places will be somewhenre between $300 and $400 pw as a guide, obviously somke places cheaper than others! For families the North Shore is popular, but it is a commute over the bridge each day if you work in Auckland. South Auckland is generally not so good an area.

check out realenz.co.nz for prices etc.

A townhouse is similar to a semi-detached house set-up in the uk, often in a complex but each unit has its own front door onto the street and often a small garden. An aprtment is an apartment.

Renting for the 1st 6 months at least is in my opinion absolutely a good idea, so u get to see what is around, where u like to live etc. It also makes house huinting a lot easier if you have references etc built up in NZ.

Cost of living varies, depending on where you live and what your rent expenses are. Considering say 1/3rd of income goes to rent, that means COL will be around $1000 to $1200 pw you can get by on less if youre careful with money.

good luck
Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

SAINT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Costs of living in Auckland?

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Cant help with all teh questions but maybe sum,.

Dont know how the schooling works between NZ and tyhe UK, no kids...

As far as rent goes, 2-bed places will be somewhenre between $300 and $400 pw as a guide, obviously somke places cheaper than others! For families the North Shore is popular, but it is a commute over the bridge each day if you work in Auckland. South Auckland is generally not so good an area.

check out realenz.co.nz for prices etc.

A townhouse is similar to a semi-detached house set-up in the uk, often in a complex but each unit has its own front door onto the street and often a small garden. An aprtment is an apartment.

Renting for the 1st 6 months at least is in my opinion absolutely a good idea, so u get to see what is around, where u like to live etc. It also makes house huinting a lot easier if you have references etc built up in NZ.

Cost of living varies, depending on where you live and what your rent expenses are. Considering say 1/3rd of income goes to rent, that means COL will be around $1000 to $1200 pw you can get by on less if youre careful with money.

good luck

Hi, Newkiwi,

Thank you very much for your help.

Saint