Reload this Page >

Cost of Maternity Care

Cost of Maternity Care

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

kathy3212 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Maternity Care

Hi there!
I have just discovered I'm pregnant, and also just discovered that I will have to pay for all the maternity costs as my husband is here on a 1yr work permit only.
We are in the process of applying for residency but who knows how long that will take?
Does anyone have an idea of how much we would be looking at?
I've been told I will have to have a C section, which is obviously going to bump the cost up but we're just looking for a rough idea to know whether we will have to go home or can afford to stay!!

:curse:
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:16 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cost of Maternity Care

Hi,

Congrats on being pregnant!!

Well, i have PR (luckily) and am 32 weeks pregnant so luckily all my costs are covered.My midwife was telling me the other week how lucky i am as a patient was only here with a visa and she ended up with a section that has a standard cost of $6k.dont know what your other costs would be, sorry.scans etc are about $45 each but thats about all i do know on that.

maybe its worth phoning or emailing a maternity unit and asking?!

I hope this helps, maybe someone else will come on oand either shoot me down in flames with my comments or help you.

Hope all goes well.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Hi

Congrats on the pregnancy! I am 29 weeks, but with a 2 year permit at the moment, so my costs are covered too. However, when I first arrived I didn't have the correct visa and was quoted about $6K for a caesarian. As far as I know that includes all your prenatal and postnatal care, delivery, a 5 day hospital stay and bloods etc. They call it the 'basic package'. This does mean that you will need to pay for anything 'out of the ordinary' like extended hospital stays, amnios etc. Well, that's how I understand it. I am very new here too. You would probaby deliver at the North Shore Hospital. The midwives there are pretty clued up with costs etc so it would be worth calling them to find out all your options. They can also put you in touch with midwives.

Good Luck

Trench's wife
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Trenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to allTrenchfoot is a name known to all

Apologies, I assumed you were on the North Shore....don't know where I got that from!

Also, you only pay after the birth in one lump sum (other than scans)....so...if you can get your PR sorted before, your costs may be covered.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice guys, my midwife quoted me $8k but said the prices she had were old. I've enquired with the hospital and am waiting for them to get back to me.
Let's hope we manage to get PR sorted pdq!!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kathy3212
Thanks for all the advice guys, my midwife quoted me $8k but said the prices she had were old. I've enquired with the hospital and am waiting for them to get back to me.
Let's hope we manage to get PR sorted pdq!!
Have you put in your application for PR yet?
If so it may be a good idea to let immigration know, under the auspices of "updating your info", and then asking if your application can be looked at in more urgency/ higher priority. Not only because of the cost of the pregnancy but also if you ar PR when the baby is born he/she will be a kiwi citizen automatically.

If you have the baby in the UK you will hacve to apply for a visa for the baby to come back to nz with you.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:20 am
back in NZ and lovin it

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point

well, last year it cost $1300 for the midwife care and then 12k for a c section. As soon as the baby is born everything for him/her is free. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thank for all your replies, I've just found out that there is a reciprical agreement between the UK and NZ and therefore I will not have to pay for the c sectionb, although I still have to pay for all antenatal costs and scans etc.
That's a great relief, and hopefully our PR will come back soon and the new babmino will be a kiwi!!!