Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in NZ - the bottom line

Cost of living in NZ - the bottom line

Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:11 pm
Deb+Chris

Default Re: Cost of living in NZ - the bottom line

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
No idea.. but will try send you some now damages!! ha ha.
Didn't work..have only got 110 point!!! wow!! didn't know that!

Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:00 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damages
Our thoughts exactly. Does it have anything to do with the number of stars you have or is that to do with posts? Is it related to the funny little blue boxes underneath the stars?How much karma do you have to spread b4 you can give karma to the same person again? I think we need a moderator.

Phyllis
The blue boxes and stars increase as your karma does.if you point your mouse to the boxes you will see a comment that changes as your karma accumulates. Basically it is meant as a reward for those who post helpful, informative or interesting posts, or just ones you agree with regarding their comments. You cannot send negative karma as far as I know, and there is a limit to how much you can send in any 24 hour period.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all who posted - some good points here and vital info about good ice cream! Cheers!!!!!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 4:02 am

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive done a search but still cant seem to find what Im looking for. I want to take my VW Passat with me....is it worth it? I cant seem to work out how much shipping and taxes would be, nor can I find any info on how much an identical car would cost to buy in NZ. ANy help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Lucyb
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Ive done a search but still cant seem to find what Im looking for. I want to take my VW Passat with me....is it worth it? I cant seem to work out how much shipping and taxes would be, nor can I find any info on how much an identical car would cost to buy in NZ. ANy help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Lucyb
Err - why? It'll cost you a heap to get it there, it'll be expensive to maintain and get parts for, it'll be difficult to sell when you need to, and you could get much better vfm by selling the VW and buying the equivalent Nissan/Toyota in NZ. I would say the only cars worth taking were classics, which will last well due to the lack of salt on the roads. There's no point in taking a mass-produced European car to NZ.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Err - why? It'll cost you a heap to get it there, it'll be expensive to maintain and get parts for, it'll be difficult to sell when you need to, and you could get much better vfm by selling the VW and buying the equivalent Nissan/Toyota in NZ. I would say the only cars worth taking were classics, which will last well due to the lack of salt on the roads. There's no point in taking a mass-produced European car to NZ.

Thanks...thats exactly the sort of traight talking answer I needed!!!! I do love my VW, but Im not stupid! She will have to go...Im not in the mood to waste money! Bugger it though, Ive only had it 2 weeks! I also last week won a convertible mini at work, brand new....I was going to sell that for sure...I take it minis are pricey over there? I will be so sad to part with my two new cars, as for the last couple of years I have been driving a banger Fiat Punto which I was well chuffed to see the back of!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:03 am

Thanks...thats exactly the sort of traight talking answer I needed!!!! I do love my VW, but Im not stupid! She will have to go...Im not in the mood to waste money! Bugger it though, Ive only had it 2 weeks! I also last week won a convertible mini at work, brand new....I was going to sell that for sure...I take it minis are pricey over there? I will be so sad to part with my two new cars, as for the last couple of years I have been driving a banger Fiat Punto which I was well chuffed to see the back of!

PS IS there a website where I can look at the cost of used cars in NZ, especially South Island?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:14 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

PS IS there a website where I can look at the cost of used cars in NZ, especially South Island?
There are quite a few dealerships online (just google) and you can always check out the guideline prices at auction at www.turners.co.nz which are about 10-20% below what you might pay at a dealer's.