Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The cost of Living in NZ?

The cost of Living in NZ?

Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of Living in NZ?

Originally Posted by DC10
Ok: so NZD is strong because country is stuffed, GBP is weak because they're really going places...
argumentum ad crumenam springs to mind whilst waiting for the pizza.......
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
Now that this has descended into the usual

ex-pat Kiwis or ex-OE Kiwis
and
those who feel they have to justify being here/coming here/returning here
and
spouses of Kiwis
- v -
some British ex-Pats who live in NZ and are struggling along

then it's time to walk away or order pizza and watch the thread.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:06 am

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

It does make you creative living in NZ, financially that is. Went through a phase of buying Hi-Fi systems off Trade Me, splitting them up, then selling the Amp / CD player/ Turntable/ speakers separately. Made about 3k in 12 months. Hope IRD are not reading this.

Dad has been trading on Ebay for about 6 years in the UK, buying from local auctions and selling internationally. Tax people have just caught up - come on guys - he is 85!!!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:01 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
If you asked an international investor why he is investing in NZ dollars, he will tell you that it is because NZ is seen as a safe haven, economically. That's what they say. Whether they are right is another story. But the sum of these investors are pretty clued up people.
hahahahahha.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 28th 2011 at 4:04 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:04 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
The Close Up shopping list was poor. It would have helped if they were comparing like with like, but they didn't. Instead they got Countdown's own brand or Cornflakes in NZ, and in London were shopping at Sainsburys (which from experience is the more expensive the UK's big 4) and got Kellogs Cornflakes.It was no surprise that UK would be cheaper than NZ, I'd expect the like for like to be much cheaper. However in UK food is VAT free, where as in NZ it's at 15% GST.
I happen to think food ought to be GST free in NZ, but Labour's policy of 0% GST on fresh fruit & veg is just half way house.

Re: NZ$'s strength, and it is comparatively ought to lead to cheaper prices of imported goods but there's ot a great of evidence of it.
This does not surprise me at all, sadly. But seriously, Close Up? Hardly renowned for it's fantastic journalism.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:04 pm

and
and
spouses of Kiwis
- v -

I'm an expat Kiwi who happens to agree with the struggling brits! The fact is S&P ( I think it was) just downgraded NZ's rating so clearly all is not well in the land of the long white cloud. I would love to know why...did the gov'ment borrow too much?

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 28th 2011 at 4:13 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:44 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
A debate requires opposing views, otherwise it is not a debate. Sleep on.
No, not really. Once a debate becomes polarized people feel they need to align with one extreme of the other and the debate loses the richness of all the perspectives and experiences in between. It happens a lot on here, partially because people view debate as something that needs to be 'won' and therefore clearly delineate the in and out groups in the debate and partially because it's easier to do that and get a grasp on the issues as a whole if you crudely split it into polar opposites. It is a shame because ultimately most people have opinions and experiences that lie somewhere between the two polarized positions.

and
and
spouses of Kiwis
- v -

Ahh, there's that need to group us all. What about those that generally enjoy living here, have some frustrations and tensions, think it's not all rosy but neither is it at all all bad? Where you going to pigeon hole us? I don't fit in any of the categories you've made- I've got no need to justify being here, I like it but if you get me started on the racism, lack of professionalism etc I'll soon sound like a NZ-hater, I struggle financially and don't intend to stay here forever. Oh dear, looks like I'm an individual.

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I'm an expat Kiwi who happens to agree with the struggling brits! The fact is S&P ( I think it was) just downgraded NZ's rating so clearly all is not well in the land of the long white cloud. I would love to know why...did the gov'ment borrow too much?
It was government borrowing but it's more than that- also to do with things like how we rely on commodities and our aging population pressures, I think! It's a worry, but it's worrying times all over at the moment, no?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:59 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you are absolutely right, and all the people who are leaving NZ are wrong.
Because of isolation, the population of NZ is highly mobile. But the country still has more people arriving every year than leaving. So NZ has a net migration gain every year, not a loss. As far as people moving to Australia is concerned, that has been happening for 40 years. Australia is the big brother. For a lot of people they can get a higher wage (eg in the mines or in some professional occupations). The Irish leave for England. The Canadians leave for the US. The Portugese leave for Spain ....

A lot of people move to Australia for a better lifestyle. No doubt that.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Oct 28th 2011 at 8:20 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

You never get many French moving from France. Why do you think that is?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:25 pm

[QUOTE=bourbon-biscuit;9701661]No, not really. Once a debate becomes polarized people feel they need to align with one extreme of the other and the debate loses the richness of all the perspectives and experiences in between. It happens a lot on here, partially because people view debate as something that needs to be 'won' and therefore clearly delineate the in and out groups in the debate and partially because it's easier to do that and get a grasp on the issues as a whole if you crudely split it into polar opposites. It is a shame because ultimately most people have opinions and experiences that lie somewhere between the two polarized positions.

Do you understand the concept of a debate - as opposed to a discussion? In a debate, if you have never been to one, a motion is proposed then you have speakers 'for the motion' and speakers 'against the motion'. At the end of the debate, depending on the relative strengths of the arguments presented, a winner is declared. Debates, by definition, are polarised. What we have on this forum are discussions - it was you who erroneously referred to it as a debate.

"Ah, nothing like polarizing the debate to increase the interest"

Moreover, even within a discussion, polarised views are allowed, even if they do not concur with your liberal standpoint. Furthermore, if you have a look at the length of this thread, do you not think it simplistic to suggest that one comment, from one person, has the ability to polarise a discussion? Must have been a very powerful comment.

Last edited by sheene; Oct 28th 2011 at 10:48 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:23 pm

And remember- all the contributors to a mass debate are wankers.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:28 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
You never get many French moving from France. Why do you think that is?
Good point. I don't know.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:56 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Do you understand the concept of a debate - as opposed to a discussion? In a debate, if you have never been to one, a motion is proposed then you have speakers 'for the motion' and speakers 'against the motion'. At the end of the debate, depending on the relative strengths of the arguments presented, a winner is declared. Debates, by definition, are polarised. What we have on this forum are discussions - it was you who erroneously referred to it as a debate.

Moreover, even within a discussion, polarised views are allowed, even if they do not concur with your liberal standpoint. Furthermore, if you have a look at the length of this thread, do you not think it simplistic to suggest that one comment, from one person, has the ability to polarise a discussion? Must have been a very powerful comment.
sheene, when you quote someone and then split the quote it makes it easier to understand if you leave the coding intact. So for every bit that someone else say that you want to reply to you leave the bit of coding that looks like this at the start:

[QUOTE=bourbon-biscuit;9701661]

and this at the end:

[/ QUOTE] (though I have put a space between the / and the word QUOTE so it doesn't code it.

If you want to split someone's quote use copy and paste to make sure those bits of code start and end each bit of quoted text. HTH
Old Oct 29th 2011, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Good point. I don't know.
Actually that's not true. France is the 6th largest source country of immigrants to Canada. (Well, PRs anyway).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...rmanent/10.asp

Beaten only by the UK, the USA, India, Phillipines and China.

Speaking anecdotally, I know of quite a few French emigrants to Vancouver. I imagine the numbers are even bigger for Quebec/Montreal. So all is not lost waikatoguy

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 29th 2011 at 1:52 am.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Actually that's not true. France is the 6th largest source country of immigrants to Canada. (Well, PRs anyway).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...rmanent/10.asp

Beaten only by the UK, the USA, India, Phillipines and China.

Speaking anecdotally, I know of quite a few French emigrants to Vancouver. I imagine the numbers are even bigger for Quebec/Montreal. So all is not lost waikatoguy
there are six times as many british immigrants in canada as those from france. the population of britain and france is identical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.