Reload this Page >

Cost of living data

Cost of living data

Old May 20th 2015, 10:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cost of living data

Originally Posted by LauraNotts
But I do enjoy treating myself to some made by someone else early in the morning looking out over the Avon after a week of night shifts
Is that down at the Boatsheds? Can't think of any other place at the moment that would fit that bill.
Old May 20th 2015, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Orange pony will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BEVS
What ! You have got to be kiddin' me or it is as you say, you chose not to use cafes or chose the wrong ones somehow. Not that it matters which overseas cafes you did frequent at all but you were missing out . We've been in plenty of good cafes over many decades. All churning out a whole lot of decent grub. The point being here ,I suppose, is the price you pay for said nosh.

Cooked breakfast at our local cafe in the village will set us back a good $45.

Cooked breakfast at a cafe right on the beach where we came from in the UK will currently cost us $25.

Cooked breakfast at a good cafe that we really like in Takaka. $40.

Coked breakfast at a great little cafe right on a beach out on a fab bit of headland not far from where we lived. $16 for both of us. Special place.

... and what is all this about NZ not being into full cooked breakfasts. That is a bit like saying they are not into BBQs and those blimmin' muffins.

I will also add that there are difference in the flour on the shelves here. Someone explained why that is so once. A search may chuck that one up.
Didn't mean to say that a cooked breakfast was not a popular option here , just that it's irritating to say that it should be the same as we do it on the other side of the world . I personally have had the best eggs benedict with salmon here in pukeko junction cafe ! Pricy I suppose but excellent quality not a greasy spoon in sight !
Old May 20th 2015, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What ! You have got to be kiddin' me or it is as you say, you chose not to use cafes or chose the wrong ones somehow. Not that it matters which overseas cafes you did frequent at all but you were missing out . We've been in plenty of good cafes over many decades. All churning out a whole lot of decent grub. The point being here ,I suppose, is the price you pay for said nosh.

Cooked breakfast at our local cafe in the village will set us back a good $45.

Cooked breakfast at a cafe right on the beach where we came from in the UK will currently cost us $25.

Cooked breakfast at a good cafe that we really like in Takaka. $40.

Coked breakfast at a great little cafe right on a beach out on a fab bit of headland not far from where we lived. $16 for both of us. Special place.

... and what is all this about NZ not being into full cooked breakfasts. That is a bit like saying they are not into BBQs and those blimmin' muffins.

I will also add that there are difference in the flour on the shelves here. Someone explained why that is so once. A search may chuck that one up.
Is one of those Bistro on the Beach at Hengistbury Head? My goodness, Sunday morning walks with a cooked breakfast there, was always worth the money. Cracking place to eat for lunch and dinner as well if open

I would have said Ocean Reef but I think you may have moved here before that was opened. Now that is also a fabulous place down the beachside, one of the positives of Boscombe one may add

You've made me gone all down memory lane. My favourite café used to be Norwegian Wood, down St Peters Road. Back then, you could have a full English with a hot drink or juice for just 5.00GBP. That included 2 sausages, 2 rashes of bacon, 2 hash browns, 2 eggs, baked beans and a tomato or black pudding. Absolute bargain and also excellent food. It gets a lot of rave reviews on Trip Advisor does Norwegian Wood. It was set up by one Jimmy Saville but I believe they've binned every item associated with Jimmy after his past all came out.
Old May 21st 2015, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

I love how this thread went from being about cost of living data, to that very important British subject - proper cooked breakfasts
Old May 21st 2015, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McLeod
I love how this thread went from being about cost of living data, to that very important British subject - proper cooked breakfasts
But we have moved on from a few years ago when this sort of discussion always ended in a lengthy discourse on the humble sausage. At least we are more grown up now and discuss a whole meal
Old May 21st 2015, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

mmmm, would love an Ulster Fry....
Old May 21st 2015, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I have many happy memories of finishing shift work in a pub at gone midnight and going down to the all night greasy spoon for a full cooked 'breakfast' amongst the truckers. All us ladies that worked behind the bar protected by one fierce Glaswegian guy

The mugs of tea were some of the best I ever had.
Old May 22nd 2015, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
T I can recommend the breakfast at the Waipu Cove cafe (I have not connection with the business)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...d259c14c78217d
Far Out! That place is sensational! I cannot wait to go back. Pizza along the road at the Pizza Barn in town not too shabby either.