Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living - Cool Calculator

Cost of Living - Cool Calculator

Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of Living - Cool Calculator

Lots of talk and questions about cost of living, so I went on a little Google around to see what's out there and found this

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

I think it's a little out of date and much like a Wiki it actually requires 'readers' to participate and keep it up to date. You can edit prices for your city, or add your city if it's not already there and it seems the more people that do it, the more realistic and useful it will become.

It appears to take some kind of average, as I tried to update the cost of petrol in new Zealand and it only went up by a little bit, rather than change to the actual amount I entered.

Perhaps some others can have a go and update their localities and it could become a useful guideline for future users. You don't need to register or anything, you just click on the 'skip this step' when asked to enter your details.
Old Oct 21st 2010, 11:25 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living - Cool Calculator

Weird. It suggests Singapore and Hong Kong are both cheaper than Wellington?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That's cos apparently you can get a pair of Levis for $58 in Wellington. I'm sure some things must have been entered in the wrong currency. I tried to update some.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got it set to NZD? A pair of Levis is shown at 102.05 for Auckland.

I was comparing AKL to Bath, near where we used to live and purchasing power came out as 63% lower in Bath Seems a bit out to me. Quite a useful tool though, most of the prices seem in the ballpark, but UK salary was hsown approx half that of NZ (for these two cities)
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Have you got it set to NZD? A pair of Levis is shown at 102.05 for Auckland.

I was comparing AKL to Bath, near where we used to live and purchasing power came out as 63% lower in Bath Seems a bit out to me. Quite a useful tool though, most of the prices seem in the ballpark, but UK salary was hsown approx half that of NZ (for these two cities)
It was showing NZ$58 in Wellington, I actually edited this to $99.99 which then only increased to $78 something. So I assume it must take some kind of average.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 11:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost of Living - Cool Calculator

It's like Google Wave, great idea badly implemented.