Cost of Furniture

Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:19 am
Just Joined

bosshog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Furniture

Hi

Does anyone know whether the cost of furniture in NZ is cheaper or more expensive than the UK? Wondering what to ship over? What did others do??
Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Furniture

Originally Posted by bosshog
Hi

Does anyone know whether the cost of furniture in NZ is cheaper or more expensive than the UK? Wondering what to ship over? What did others do??
Have a look at www.freedomfurniture.co.nz
There is no IKEA in NZ for your cheepies. Probably if it is in good working order and stuff you like then ship it. Manchester (towels, bedding, duvet covers are expensive in NZ) Places like Bricoe's and the warehouse are not too expenisive for bedding, kitchen ware etc. But since living in the UK I love IKEA for choice and quality of kitchen stuff.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are expecting to go to NZ in Feb. House is sold and will move in with mother in law (ouch). Packers/shippers start next Wed, we are taking the lot.

Boopy
Old Nov 21st 2005, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

we are taking the lot.
Boopy[/QUOTE]

Would second Boopy - take everything you have. We had everything shipped (dust and all) and have found a use/place for everything. If you do end up bringing surplus with you no worries - there is a thriving second hand market here for absolutely anything.

Martin
Old Nov 21st 2005, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

bosshog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all for your replies - these are really useful. It's always useful to have advice from those who have done it.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:37 pm
livewire

We thought we'd brought everything with us but I'm surprised how much we did actually chuck out because we didn't have time to clean it or one of us thought it was junk. I'm still going into the garage to look for something and then realising it was binned before we left.

So I say bring everything, then if you decide you don't need it when you get here sell it off on Trademe.

Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Well dont pay full price for anything, thats what i did, but i had time to shop, my bed and mattress cost 1400 dollars, its a queen sized reclaimed timber slay bed, looks and feels fantastic and the mattress is an orthopedic one. Also came with two solid reclaimed timber side tables. The bed was 50% off and the mattress 30% so always look for bargains, all the shops have sales i was lucky though as i got most of my stuff around labour day.

Also second hand isnt bad, although the second hand shops in petone the hutt and wellington do look like overpriced tat, but trademe is good, i just got a nixi chair that sells in freedom for 299 got it on trademe for 95 so not bad price. Was lucky that the previous tenant of my rental wanted to sell his fridge freezer and washing machine, so got the both for 300 dollars, the fridge freezer is a nice big one and the waching machine about a year old, both by fisher and pykel (frigidaire).

Some of the really kewl things here is the funiture that is made in NZ, even futons are made here with NZ wool, Inhabit is a store that sells futons, and they cost around 900-1000 dollars, they look good quality,

but if youve got furniture you like bring it with you, im sure its more expensive to buy everything here, im finding its the little things that i miss, also known as the thingy maggigies,

A kiwi mate thought i was mad buying alan keys, was wondering what i wanted them for, but you never know when you need a set of alan keys.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 11:05 pm
Banned

Power will become famous soon enough

Yes I agree with others, bring everything with you
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 1:20 am
Banned

auldduck is an unknown quantity at this point

Real/ solid wood furniture items such as dining table and chairs are excellent value in NZ. Maybe half the typical UK cost.

3 piece suite etc generally looks a tad more expensive in NZ.

Don't get me talking about paint...

cheers - Quackers