Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of flights for a break back in the UK?

Cost of flights for a break back in the UK?

Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cost of flights for a break back in the UK?

Reading another thread has got me wondering. My dad lives in Egypt and always tries to book his flights from the UK as a return. As even an open return from the UK is cheaper than a return from Egypt. So, is there a difference in cost to/from NZ?

I've estimated £800 each from UK and returns seem to be a similar price.

Would a return flight from NZ be around $1600? Or would it be more? Or is it just that in NZ, $1600 feels a whole lot more than £800 in the UK?

I hope that makes sense!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of flights for a break back in the UK?

You'll be looking at about $2.5k for the standard fares with usual major airlines - you may of course find cheaper / special deals / off peak etc, with some lesser known or budget airlines, or by going on an extra long journey routed through three stops and such but you'll not likely find anything for less than $2.2k

Try expedia.co.nz for some ideas.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes, big difference indeed!
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

You do get overcharged for flights here it really pisses me off

As above expect to pay 2.5k for a return from here i,m going in June and booked in January and managed to get them for 2 k but there crap flights with about 4 stops

Neil
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:26 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As per the above posts. $2500 is a ball park figure.

I manage to get my husband back every 18 months or so to see his aged Mum although this time round it may well have to be 2 years.

To us, frankly , it is around 3 weeks net income and is a hard save to achieve.

Others earning more will find it far more affordable depending on family circumstances.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I guess we will not be coming back for visits all that often... Was only thinking 2-3 yearly anyway, mainly to see my mum who's in a nursing home. For everyone else (the ex's parents and my dad) it might be worth contributing to their fare to NZ and putting them up instead.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Is there no scope in routing through oz and pick up your long haul from there?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 10:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Makes no odds for us.

We also incur the costs to get to an NZ international airport.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

There is no way of getting a cheap flight. Makes matters worse that the reliable Air Asia don't fly anymore to England

I looked at doing a Jetstar flight from Christchurch to Singapore and then a Singapore Airlines flight to a european country cheaper than entering the United Kingdom, and then a reliable Ryan Air flight onwards. Nothing that's cheaper

It's about $1,399.99 one way from Auckland to London as an example. Then add on extras such as NZ tax etc. Even with fly buys or airpoints, you're still looking at around $599 just in taxes to go. Then there's London taxations ouch!

I'm hoping to send my wife and son to Birmingham in September before he turns 2. There's no way all of us can go due to costs. I'd love to return to Blighty for a trip to see the in laws but due to holiday shortages, i wouldn't get paid. One other thing to note about, holiday at work is earned, you can't take say 3 weeks and expected to be paid if you haven't worked 6 months for example. The holidays act will give you more of an idea

It's a well known rip off that has been highlighted so many times that it's cheaper for internationals to come to NZ instead of Kiwis jetting off. Be prepared to hear 4 million a lot.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhatToDo82
Thanks. I guess we will not be coming back for visits all that often... Was only thinking 2-3 yearly anyway, mainly to see my mum who's in a nursing home. For everyone else (the ex's parents and my dad) it might be worth contributing to their fare to NZ and putting them up instead.
That's a dream most expats dream. Most of the time the family doesn't visit often. Maybe once. Nobody really wants the long flights. And elderly often simply can'tfly that long anymore.
So either you are lucky and your family loves spending long hours on the plane or you earn a lot of money or be prepared to not seeing your family very often anymore. If you fly every 5 years you can probably count on one hand how often you will see your parents before there are gone. I hope NZ is worth. For me it wasn't. Good luck with your move!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on what time of years they want to come.
The best prices I have found through Expedia.co.uk was £650 return, that worked out at $1300.
That was for flights leaving the uk (manchester) on 21st Feb and returning around 2 weeks later.

As your post is rather confusing I will reiterate that that was for all flights needed to get you here and home again, $1300 total
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

My parents are still quite young (60 last year) but my mum is not well, stable but she has many health problems. The ex's parents are also young and it's more for them than us. My mum is happy we're going and has already said she dohbts we'll be back much if at all, we are setting her up on Skype in a few weeks for when we're gone. So, I don't suppose it'll be much bother for me, I hardly see my dad anyway - I like it that way

Sorry for the confusing first post. I was after prices from NZ to UK return. Although it's still useful to know February is cheapest the other way around, in case I am putting towards them visitng us in NZ
Old Mar 26th 2014, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

I had a really great record with my UK bank who were happy for me to keep my UK Cc (no balance, huge credit limit) and account. That's my emergency fund.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

I tried to get my old man to book flights for us (NZ>UK RTN) from Scotland and the travel agents couldnt do it and gave the usual excuses , taxes, echange rates ect ect all of which are BS.

I have tried picking a flight and then mirroring the exact flight in return (NZ>UK RTN & UK>NZ RTN) and the difference is vast - was over 900 UKP between the two.

I tried calling the airlines to find out why this was and got no answer that made any sense.

This is a very frustrating problem.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

It's most bizarre. Do they not realise that if it was more comparable then folks would fly to the UK for visits more often, thus they would actually make MORE money? What about the comparable cost of getting a UK bod to book two one way flights? Wonder if that might still be cheaper than a return from NZ? Like I said, my dad has found a similar problem with flights from Cairo, cheaper for him to book an open return from the UK for his yearly visits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.