Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Converting a sleepout to a granny flat.

Converting a sleepout to a granny flat.

Old Aug 18th 2007, 10:52 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting a sleepout to a granny flat.

We have a fairly roomy sleepout, which ideally we would love to convert into a self contained unit. Which we would then hope to rent out, to provide additional income.

I will go down to council offices (Marlborough) to have a gander at the application process, this week.

But wondered if anyone has any experience in getting a consent to something similar?
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:22 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting a sleepout to a granny flat.

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
We have a fairly roomy sleepout, which ideally we would love to convert into a self contained unit. Which we would then hope to rent out, to provide additional income.

I will go down to council offices (Marlborough) to have a gander at the application process, this week.

But wondered if anyone has any experience in getting a consent to something similar?

Hi Stephen

Send a PM to Frenchy hun. They have made enquiries with Marlborough Council about converting their garage. Dawn should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hi Stephen

Send a PM to Frenchy hun. They have made enquiries with Marlborough Council about converting their garage. Dawn should be able to point you in the right direction.
I am here!!!!!
The principle is around change of use. If you want to use the sleepout officially for rental purposes the council will need to approve the plans for change of use from sleepout to residential building. I presume it meets regs?

We have given up on the idea of converting our garages as we have issues with the drains The council have put our connection in point at the highest level at the front of our house which means our drains from our house would have to be pump assisted!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:33 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchy
I am here!!!!!
The principle is around change of use. If you want to use the sleepout officially for rental purposes the council will need to approve the plans for change of use from sleepout to residential building. I presume it meets regs?

We have given up on the idea of converting our garages as we have issues with the drains The council have put our connection in point at the highest level at the front of our house which means our drains from our house would have to be pump assisted!!!!

Talk of the devil ..........
Sorry to hear they scuppered your plans :curse::curse:
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Excuse me for butting in, but what is a sleepout?

Alison
Old Aug 19th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by littleal
Excuse me for butting in, but what is a sleepout?

Alison
Hi Alison!!

Anything from a shed with a bed to a grand designed self contained detached building separate from the main house.
Old Aug 19th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Hi Alison!!

Anything from a shed with a bed to a grand designed self contained detached building separate from the main house.

Thanks - it's good to learn the lingo. We want something similar for visitors if/when we finally get to NZ.

Alison