Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Converting GCSE results to NCEA in New Zealand

Converting GCSE results to NCEA in New Zealand

Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Pippab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting GCSE results to NCEA in New Zealand

Hi all, I am new to this site my husband and 2 girls and I move to Hamilton from West Sussex in the UK, 4 weeks ago, since we have been here the girls have stated school, my youngest loves it but we have a problem with my eldest daughter who is 17 that we need help with please.
Since started the high school year 12, we have finally chosen the course to complement the course she was doing on college in the UK. But since then we have been told they cannot convert her GCSE results to NCEA !!!!!! :thumbdown

She was told very abruptly this morning by a teacher she would have to cancel the course she has started and do maths again, when she got a Pretty high GCSE grade for maths.
Is this correct? Can anyone please tell me why, or if this is total rubbish and ow I go about it please.
Help, I have a very unhappy and upset 17yr old on my hands.
Many thanks
Pip
Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Converting GCSE results to NCEA in New Zealand

Hi there.
Sorry to read this. I would certainly have a loss of faith in any teacher that treated a newbie schoolgirl in this way & I would challenge this with the head teacher.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge will be along shortly.

It is possible to compare ( if not convert) GCSE to NCEA levels. In other words to assess for prior learning to ascertain her level of learning and knowledge in the chosen subject.

Your probably first port of call - and the teacher should have been aware of this - is NZQA ( please click the link)

You will need to be able to provide the curriculum for the learning she has already achieved. NZQA will compare this unit by unit to see where it matches, where it may surpass and where it may lack.

HTH a bit

Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:58 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pip

Have a look at this link, page 10 in particular.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...6Education.pdf

Hope it gives you some ammo.

Good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Converting GCSE results to NCEA in New Zealand

Oh thank you guys, must admit I was starting to worry that moving her education was about to mess everything up for her.

Ive read both the documents on both sites you have given me, and I cant thank you both enough for your advice, I shall go into the school with all the amo I need!!!!

Pip.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Okey Dokey.
Keep us posted. Us lot like to know all is well.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pippab
Oh thank you guys, must admit I was starting to worry that moving her education was about to mess everything up for her.

Ive read both the documents on both sites you have given me, and I cant thank you both enough for your advice, I shall go into the school with all the amo I need!!!!

Pip.
Really looking forward to hearing how you get on. My daughter finishes her GCSE exams on wednesday and will be VERY cross with me if she has to do retakes when she gets to NZ in July!!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

I have an interview with the head of year tomorrow, (Wednesday ) so shall keep you posted as to how it goes, lets just say this Mummy bear isn't for messing with now!!! Lol.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Hi all, just wanted to updat you on our progress, well, the school really have messed us about, so after many meetings with different teachers, head of year, and deputy head teachers, we were then advised by someone I got talking to about looking into the Waikato Uni, well what an amazing place that is, so so very helpful , they discussed all our concerns with us, and advised as my daughter is 17 , that she do what they have as a CUP course, this will get her the points she needs, with people of her own age and older, they have converted her GCSE results, and when she passes her exams in a few months, she will get a place on her chosen degree law course!!! My advise if your having the same problem as me, go to the Uni for advise, they really know what they are talking about.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff.

This makes sense, after all it the Uni who is offering the Law Degree, not the school.

I'm glad you've got this resolved, eventually.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

glad to see you solved your problem, I know how frustrating it can be for you and you your daughter after going through a similar thing when we arrived
with a 17 yr old 5 years ago.The way he was treated had such an effect on him he decided to return to the UK after he finished school to study at Uni.
We were in Cambridge and I tried to sell waikato uni to him but he was adamant he wanted to go home to study, it was hard putting a 19 year old on a plane
back home all on his own
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
glad to see you solved your problem, I know how frustrating it can be for you and you your daughter after going through a similar thing when we arrived
with a 17 yr old 5 years ago.The way he was treated had such an effect on him he decided to return to the UK after he finished school to study at Uni.
We were in Cambridge and I tried to sell waikato uni to him but he was adamant he wanted to go home to study, it was hard putting a 19 year old on a plane
back home all on his own
Hello stranger!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:34 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Waikato Uni is a great little uni and quite flexible about entrance. Rally glad it worked out for you
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you, yes alls well that ends well, esp when you have teenage daughters!! Lol
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Justcol
back home all on his own
Tried to email you back but wouldn't send. Check your in box here.
Apologies to OP for hijacking thread!!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit confused....so she is effectively starting University in NZ without having done A'Levels in UK nor NZ equivalent of A'Levels?
Is this a fee-free option for you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.