Container Cost

Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Container Cost

Hi we have been quoted £6600 for a 40ft container with Anglo Pacific does this sound reasonable?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:31 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Container Cost

Originally Posted by AngelaandJim
Hi we have been quoted £6600 for a 40ft container with Anglo Pacific does this sound reasonable?
er ...NO!

We had a full packing service, insurance etc. for a 20 foot container and that costs just over 3000 quid. 40 foot containers DO NOT cost twice the price.

Shop around and play one off against the other.....including for insurance.

We used Allied Pickfords now called Avalon who were pretty good (nothing broken, packed and delivered on time)

Where are you going from and to (prices do vary depending on distance to the docks)

Forgot to add that world shipping costs have come DOWN over the last 12 months due to less stuff being shipped i.e. more competition
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

We were quoted just under £3000 by John Mason, Robinsons and Allied Pickfords. Crown quoted £3975 and wouldnt move on their price
This is also for a 20ft sole use container.
The insurance can be haggled down too.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

That's sound expensive. We've just paid Pickford £4008 for as much as we need of a 40ft container. I can't remember the exact volume we used up in the end. We had quotes around £3500 for 20ft but we weren't going to be able to get everything in, so we got part of a 40ft one instead. We could have had a whole 40ft for about £4300.

We found Crown the most expensive. They quoted us £6000 for 20ft plus topup but strangely enough came down to £4500 when we told them they were way out of the league.

We haggled with the insurance as well and got Pickfords down from 3.5% to 2%. Letton Percival were the cheapest at 1.6%, but paid Pickfords 2% to keep it all together which we figure would be easier if our crate ends up at the bottom of the ocean!
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi We are taking my car hubby's 2 motorbikes and most of stuff in house the pictures are being specially packed don't know if this is what is making it so expensive will be talking with the people you guys have mentioned

Thank you very muchly for your help
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

We have been quoted from Dundee to Hamilton (not definate destination) as usual job will dictate but hoping for around that kind of area

Angela
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Hi We are taking my car hubby's 2 motorbikes and most of stuff in house the pictures are being specially packed don't know if this is what is making it so expensive will be talking with the people you guys have mentioned

Thank you very muchly for your help
Hi,

Pickfords have quoted us £4200, thats for sole use of a 40ft container, including car motorbike and special wrapping of tv. Although they have said there's a specific volume....which does confuse both myself and OH. Can't see why we can't just fill it as its sole use.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anniiee
Hi,

Pickfords have quoted us £4200, thats for sole use of a 40ft container, including car motorbike and special wrapping of tv. Although they have said there's a specific volume....which does confuse both myself and OH. Can't see why we can't just fill it as its sole use.
i asked that question, and the answer i got from Crown and John Mason was that more stuff to pack means
more time to pack, more materials used for packing etc
so higher cost as your price includes paying for people to pack your stuff up, and for the packing materials.

HTH
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stoof
i asked that question, and the answer i got from Crown and John Mason was that more stuff to pack means
more time to pack, more materials used for packing etc
so higher cost as your price includes paying for people to pack your stuff up, and for the packing materials.

HTH
Aaah I don't suppose they would accept us packing the extras I'll even load it into the container for them....lol
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have to have it packed professionally in order for it to be covered by the insurance. It took 3 professionals 2.5 days to pack up our 3 bedroom semi and they used vast quantities of heavy duty bubble wrap etc. I don't think it would be worth the effort of trying to pack everything yourself. Everything inside each box and its condition has to be listed too. All in all a right hassle really.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

linzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nicelinzihardisty is just really nice
Smile Re: Container Cost

Hi,

We have just been quoted £5700 plus £700 insurance cover by Anglo Pacific for a 40 ft container, which is similar to you. We are not using all of the 40 ft. I think I will try Pickfords aswell now after reading your post. Will let you know what they quote.

Good luck with the move. When are you hoping to fly out?

Linzi
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As Moso suggests, don't just accept a shippers quote as written in stone. Play the shippers off against each other to match prices and bring the cost down.

When the shippers rep. comes into your home to quote, they will look at the estimated cubic volume of your furniture and personal effects. You will be asked what you are taking and what remains behind. They quote on that.

Don't accept as gospel from the shippers what items you may or may not bring into NZ. Check on the MAF website to make sure.

Also look at the marine insurance costs. Some shippers suggest a set company for marine insurance but then if one shops around it can be found cheaper.

Someone on here did make a good suggestion a while back about an alternative, cost effective marine insurance company but I can't remember who at the present time..

If your goods are not packed by the shippers, the cartons will be marked as 'PBO' - packed by owner - and you may well find that this cannot be covered by marine insurance.

Stay with the shippers when they pack up your house and check through as they pack. Make sure you have a copy of the inventory. Also keep a list of all those items that you feel MAF or Customs may be interested in. You will have to list these on another set of forms when the container and it's goods enter the country.

People have packed their own and shipped it over although usually they haven't had a full container worth.. Again, I cant quite remember which companies offer this service nor how they got on for insuring their goods.

some people haven't used a container to ship their vehicles or caravans. They have used ro-ro ferries. Takes longer but I believe this can be cheaper.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Someone on here did make a good suggestion a while back about an alternative, cost effective marine insurance company but I can't remember who at the present time..

Its Letton Percival x
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:31 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Numptyhead

Its Letton Percival x
I can't remember what we paid for our 40ft container now, but it was packed to the gills and we had to leave a few items out. It took 2 days for them to wrap and pack. We also had an access problem in that the main truck couldn't get down out 1/3 mile drive so we had to have a smaller van transporting it in loads up to the truck at the top. I collected some flat pack boxes ahead of the packers coming and packed a few myself, but you can't seal them so that they can note what are in them and mark it on the inventory. Oh and they tried to charge me extra for the boxes that I picked up in advance - methinks not ... We used Letton Percival Insurance but had an 11th hour cancellation from our shippers as we hadn't used their insurance . A phonecall to BAR who then phoned the shippers sorted this out. Seems we were the only ones not to take their own insurance out and they didn't like it and it threw them. All came right in the end though.

We used Britannia. NZ Van Lines this end. And would you believe, it arrived a couple of weeks early and NO damage!

The Husband thinks it was about 4,000 GBP but as he's never paid a bill in his life so I'd not place too much emphasis on his figure!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

He sounds as financially astute as me

Neil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.