Confused.com?!?!!

Old Oct 1st 2013, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Confused.com?!?!!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Oh, you're probably right- it's almost certainly a lack of insight rather than any sinister intentions. My apologies, Sam. Though, for the record I wasn't at all meaning to hint at horrors round the corner, just that when someone is saying after two weeks that it's paradise here, they're never going back, and it's solved their unhappiness in the UK, major alarm bells ring for me- not because of lurking horrors, just as a result of seven years of meeting and hearing the tales of fellow immigrants*. Hopefully the OP will take such bias posts with a huge pinch of salt but I do remember how impressionable I was at the deciding stage.
Yours, Grumpy Old Grumpster.

*Being a Guardian-reading leftie, I was persuaded to reconsider my use of the term expat and I'm now referring to myself as an immigrant.

Have you given your British passport back????
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 12:40 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983

Have you given your British passport back????
Why, do I need to?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...grants-indians
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:02 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I have never felt the need to shore up my own choices by blindly encouraging others to come here with no real knowledge or their lives or needs- I think it's irresponsible.
Agree.

Also, if some one has better luck or different luck than me, well, that's the way it goes.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 2nd 2013 at 1:04 am. Reason: Thought of something else
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

samboka1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't going to reply to this tread as I did find it a little upsetting.
I just want to clarify a few things.
I did not base this decision on a holiday, I have been to NZ many times for long periods of time, it took a year of planning and financial modelling to ensure we could afford it. I am a mature professional so did not make this decision lightly.
I have done my research on the culture, COL ,Jobs,Money, Mortgages, economy, health care and many other things.
All I was trying to do was spread some positive vibes, lifes to short to wonder "what if"and like I said in my last post if you don't like it and its not for you then you can always go back.

sam
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:39 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samboka1975
I did not base this decision on a holiday, I have been to NZ many times for long periods of time, it took a year of planning and financial modelling to ensure we could afford it. I am a mature professional so did not make this decision lightly.
I have done my research on the culture, COL ,Jobs,Money, Mortgages, economy, health care and many other things.
All I was trying to do was spread some positive vibes, lifes to short to wonder "what if"and like I said in my last post if you don't like it and its not for you then you can always go back.

sam
hi Sam. I don't think that anyone meant to upset you. I felt like that last week about a post I had replied to. For every positive there will be a negative, it's just like life in general. We all have different views and experiences and that's what makes this forum so diverse and interesting. We need to hear the positives as well as the negatives.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

sam
Hi Sam - how about thinking about this as an adventure as opposed to a permanent move and seeing where it takes you. I am a Kiwi married to a Brit and we have lived overseas in a few countries living our dream. Life is an adventure and IMHO we limited ourselves when we focus on the negative of it. Just my opinion of course. Our family adventures have been so relevant to how much we have learnt, a good bit of it about ourselves. What I do know is we have given our children a wider world encompassing experience of life. Whatever you decide...enjoy it and make sure you make the best of everything that is put before you.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice

sam
Good post Sam....Quite a few people on here should have done their research as well....then they wouldn`t be whinging all the time.

We did the same and researched EVERYTHING....so it was no surprise to us that most things were more expensive...so we also did some `financial remodelling` and saved!! saved!! saved!!....We`ve been here over two years now...and are very happy...and guess what?....we`ve also bought a house this week in Auckland which is entirely possible if you`ve planned properly...

You can be as positive as you like....nobody can stop you from doing that!
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:16 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

sam
Hi Sam

Been here nearly ten years now. Love living here and our life. Its a life less ordinary.

Never let anyone tell you that you are "deluded" or are wearing "rose tinted" glasses. You will find its only because they are dealing with their own issues.

Good luck with your new life here and we look forward to hearing some more.

Last edited by Catchafire; Oct 2nd 2013 at 8:39 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 6:37 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

18 months in Chch....we have a house a cat and still smiling.....
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:11 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

sam
Sam, I didn't suggest you hadn't researched before you came out. I don't doubt you researched coming here, and I don't doubt your enthusiasm for life here, and I'm especially glad you're enjoying yourself so far with a little one on the way. I always said I wished we'd brought our kids to NZ when they were even younger as Playcentre and Kindy here are tops However, NZ will not make you a nicer person, nor will it be worth it for everyone.

Lastly, I think your final comment is sadly quite untrue. After you've been living here a while you will almost certainly start to meet the many many immigrants who came here having done as much research as you did and with as much enthusiasm and determination but for a whole range of reasons found it wasn't going to work but years later are stuck here. This is especially true where kids and/or cross-cultural relationships are involved. Families split up, fortunes change, people fall in love, out of love- so much can happen to result in people finding that actually they can't leave. It's worth thinking about in advance.

Originally Posted by Catchafire

Never let anyone tell you that you are "deluded" or are wearing "rose tinted" glasses. You will find its only because they are dealing with their own issues.
Just to be clear- in case this was a pointed remark in my direction- I never said she was deluded or wearing rose tinted glasses. I just thought such biased enthusiasm for the OP to come on the basis of a holiday a bit irresponsible. And I stand by that, though I regret being mean about her motives and I've apologised for that (see #15).
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

not read all the other answers but my opinion is is simple
If you are not 110% for NZ then stay at home, This place isnt for everyone and getting it wrong will only cost you big time £££££
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 9:38 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo4nne
It's just I am sooooo torn between staying in England and moving to another county here, or to take a leap of faith and move New Zealand??? Any thoughts from anyone would be sooo helpful!!
It truly is a difficult decision, and of course we are all different and have different goals and dreams. However in my experience, if you are not 100% committed to the move you may find it difficult moving abroad if part of you still wants to stay in the UK.

My thoughts are along the lines of what BEVS suggested. If you are truly torn then perhaps go on a temp visa and thinking of it as a year long adventure and then see how you like it.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ninja757
Good post Sam....Quite a few people on here should have done their research as well....then they wouldn`t be whinging all the time.

We did the same and researched EVERYTHING....so it was no surprise to us that most things were more expensive...so we also did some `financial remodelling` and saved!! saved!! saved!!....We`ve been here over two years now...and are very happy...and guess what?....we`ve also bought a house this week in Auckland which is entirely possible if you`ve planned properly...

You can be as positive as you like....nobody can stop you from doing that!
congrats on the house purchase. hopefully you didnt pay a stupid price for it and wont face negative equity when the crash happens. house prices going up by 40% in 3 years is not something you can really prepare for, if house prices were at 2010 or 2011 levels we would be laughing.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 10:35 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
not read all the other answers but my opinion is is simple
If you are not 110% for NZ then stay at home, This place isnt for everyone and getting it wrong will only cost you big time £££££
you're spot on there.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice

Originally Posted by davros1984
congrats on the house purchase. hopefully you didnt pay a stupid price for it and wont face negative equity when the crash happens. house prices going up by 40% in 3 years is not something you can really prepare for, if house prices were at 2010 or 2011 levels we would be laughing.
We paid a fair and affordable price.....mainly because we kept away from the Real Estate agents and found a private seller, who wasn`t greedy!!!.....The secret is NEVER go anywhere near an auction....that`s when the prices go through the roof....the only people that walk away from an auction happy are the vendors.....agent and auctioneer!!!